Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New to me Q5, blower not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Maybe someone needs
Instructions to replace blower attached in PDF:

Attached Files
Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you Spijun, as always
The following users liked this post:
spijun (12-30-2019)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 Q5 blower intermittently went out on me early last year (after my whole compressor went out the year before) so I asked a friend of mine who works on cars to look at it, fearing the worst. He gave me the "simple man's way" of trying to fix it until I could have it professionally fixed. If anyone comes across this problem but doesn't have the expertise or money to fix right away, simply hit the underneath portion of the glove compartment box firmly and boom, your motor should start blowing. I did this for a month or so when it would randomly go out and apparently hitting it enough made it work great. It hasn't stopped blowing in almost a year. Cheap way works sometimes
Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

Thank you thinksnow66, your post saved me a lot of time and money. I bought a blower from auto zone and was a to do it my self!
thanks.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Thinksnow66
Deed is done. For those of you who have a blower issue, do it yourself. It was a pretty simple job. There's about 10 bolts (8mm socket) holding the glove box in place. The most difficult part is getting the iPhone interface out, you need the radio removal tool to pop it out. This must come out as it conceals one of the 8mm bolts. Fortunately for me one of my buddies is a car wholesaler and I was able to borrow the tool from him.
Once the glove box is out of the way there are two small screws holding the resistor in place. Then just pull down the tab on the fan housing and rotate it a few degrees and it drops into your hands.
After I went through all of this work to replace the fan, the old one started working again. When I pulled it out it was a bit tight, I rotated it by hand a few times in each direction and it freed up significantly. Out of curiosity I put it all the original parts back in place and started the car. Surprise! It started working again. I put everything back together again and it's still working (fingers crossed). I threw the replacement motor and resistor on a shelf in the garage. I figure it will be there when I need it.
Originally Posted by spijun
Maybe someone needs
Instructions to replace blower attached in PDF:
Thank you all!

Wife's 2012 Q5 2.0T blower motor stopped working. Before I bought a new one I accessed the old one. When it dropped out it was definitely "stuck" for whatever reason but then as soon as I spun it it seemed to free up. Reconnected the wiring and started the car, everything seems to be working.

I put everything back and hope it stays that way...

I did take the cabin air filter out, which I may not have replaced in 5 years.... it was sticky black... perhaps this is what locked up the motor. It also gets wet in the passenger footwell area and could never find a reason... Maybe this is the reason? New cabin air filter on the way.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Easier access to blower fan

an easier access to the blower fan is under the hood. You can reach the hvac air intake by removing the plastic cover...

if the air intake is open (you can do this by turning on ac and making sure air recirculation is not activated. Then turn off the vehicle and you should be able to see and access the blower.

Mine was stuck and I turned it and it fixed my problem.

however, fan stopped working again and when I tried to turn it this time I could tell it is not turning freely. I have this issue when it rains or when I was the car. Water seems to be leaking into the hvac air intake and into the fan blower.

anyone know how to free the fan? WD-40?

[MTE=ShIzNiTs;25329237]Thank you all!

Wife's 2012 Q5 2.0T blower motor stopped working. Before I bought a new one I accessed the old one. When it dropped out it was definitely "stuck" for whatever reason but then as soon as I spun it it seemed to free up. Reconnected the wiring and started the car, everything seems to be working.

I put everything back and hope it stays that way...

I did take the cabin air filter out, which I may not have replaced in 5 years.... it was sticky black... perhaps this is what locked up the motor. It also gets wet in the passenger footwell area and could never find a reason... Maybe this is the reason? New cabin air filter on the way.[/QUOTE]