Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New member, asking about tires....yup

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, asking about tires....yup

Hey all,

New member here, just got a new 2016 Q5 3.0T S-Line. love it, but not to impressed with the stock Michelin tires.

This is my wife's primary car and she needs a good tire for wet, slush, light-medium snow, and to be good on dry also. She has to drive to MN a couple of times a year and I want her to have the best tire.

looking at these:
PIRELLI - SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS? anyone have these on their Audi's?

or do you recommend something else? Thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the Continental DWS 06 on my 20" wheels as my "winter" setup. I haven't had the chance to drive them in the snow yet, but the previous version of the DWS had a great reputation as an all-season tire for light snow duty. You might want to consider a dedicated snow tire though if you think you'll have to deal with heavy snow.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the DWS tires in the past and they didn't last very long. I purchased the PureContact tires as the replacement for them and they wore very well. The Pirelli Verde all season tires did really well in the snow, rain, and ice last year on a VW Tiguan that I had.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anybody out there driving these: Yokohama YK580?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jholder
looking at these:
PIRELLI - SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS? anyone have these on their Audi's?
I have these (in 19"), and they're terrible in wet conditions. I have to be especially careful to not completely lose traction. They used to be really good (which is why I got them), but it sounds like they've changed their rubber formulation which explains the poor performance more recently.

In the dry they're tolerable at best, though they were super-squealy for the longest time: I'd be slowly turning into a perpendicular parking spot and they'd be sounding like I was trying to corner way too quickly and about to break free. At the traction limits, these are also more likely to break free without much warning, whereas the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2s communicated a lot better and seemed more consistent.

I'll be glad to get out of these once they wear out, and would definitely not recommend for a Q5. Other vehicles may perform better (though with the reformulation maybe not), but at least for my TDI they're a very poor fit.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jholder
This is my wife's primary car and she needs a good tire for wet, slush, light-medium snow, and to be good on dry also.
You're asking for impossible. In my experience, no all-season tire is good at handling "medium snow". The correct way to do it is to get winter tires. Don't count on AWD to help you steer or stop in snowy conditions.

If you can't swing for two sets of tires, then consider a so-called "all-weather" tire such as Nokian WRG3. In the white stuff, it's the next best thing after a dedicated winter tire. However, there are trade-offs: it doesn't handle as crisply during summer in the dry.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 12-14-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by riceboy22
I'm running the Continental DWS 06 on my 20" wheels as my "winter" setup. I haven't had the chance to drive them in the snow yet, but the previous version of the DWS had a great reputation as an all-season tire for light snow duty. You might want to consider a dedicated snow tire though if you think you'll have to deal with heavy snow.
2nd This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Put them on my 2014 Q5 after researching, below, I agree a second set of dedicated winters is the ideal setup but my driving is all metro city highways with an occasional out of the metro trip. If I was going snow skiing, up nort to the cabin every other weekend I'd have dedicated winters. Got mine at Discount Tire I have about 2k on them happy so far. I am not a Pierelli fan. Had them on my daughters Touareg, very poor wearing, noisy, a total waste of money.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Prestige
Old 12-14-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2016 S-Line Q5 3.0... and can't afford winter wheels/tires.... bwahahahaha. That's funny.

19" should fit. Cheaper tires, better ride and traction on rough winter roads. Go narrower too if you can. Tire rack has 19" set, mounted for $1300. Add $200 or so and they'll arrive at your door in 2-3 days. Takes 40 minutes to mount with a floor jack if you take you time.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our S-line came with those Goodyear Excellence summer tires so I put on some Nittos.

Dedicated snows are always the best idea but then you have 2 sets of wheels/tires to manage.

Motivos are working great for us, wearing fine at 15K. And the price wasn't that bad.

Motivo All-Season Ultra High Performance Tire
Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Motivos are working great for us, wearing fine at 15K.
How do they handle snow?

Quick Reply: New member, asking about tires....yup