Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New member, asking about tires....yup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Our S-line came with those Goodyear Excellence summer tires so I put on some Nittos.

Dedicated snows are always the best idea but then you have 2 sets of wheels/tires to manage.

Motivos are working great for us, wearing fine at 15K. And the price wasn't that bad.

Motivo All-Season Ultra High Performance Tire
I have the same Goodyear Excellence summer tires. I got nervous after asking(on this forum) about these tires for the winter and everyone told me not to be crazy and get some snow tires or at least AS tires. I went to a couple of tire shops and they both told me I didn't need to change tires for the winter. I then went to my Audi dealer and he said no one here changes their tires per season.

Now I am just confused. It is 70 degrees and sunny so far but it does get a little cold here now and then and we have 1-2 light snow storms or ice storms. Most everything shut downs in those storms so you don't really have to drive in them.

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I have the same Goodyear Excellence summer tires. I got nervous after asking(on this forum) about these tires for the winter and everyone told me not to be crazy and get some snow tires or at least AS tires. I went to a couple of tire shops and they both told me I didn't need to change tires for the winter. I then went to my Audi dealer and he said no one here changes their tires per season.

Now I am just confused. It is 70 degrees and sunny so far but it does get a little cold here now and then and we have 1-2 light snow storms or ice storms. Most everything shut downs in those storms so you don't really have to drive in them.

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
Dallas! if you get a dusting of snow doesn't city shut down anyway?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jholder
Dallas! if you get a dusting of snow doesn't city shut down anyway?
Yes
Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a set of the Continental DWS06. Obviously not as sticky as the summer Bridgestones I was running before but I like how they don't get squirrelly under 40 degrees.

I'll give out some more impressions as I rack up more miles.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hankook Dynapor HP2 Ra 33

How about Hankook dynapro HP2 RA 33 for a 2011 Q5?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok so have narrowed this down a little:

Even though some say that they are crap, the Perrelli - and these?

- PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS (highest rating on tire rack)
- GOODYEAR ASSURANCE CS TRIPLETRED ALL-SEASON (2nd on tire rack)
- MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4
- HANKOOK WINTER I*CEPT EVO W310

Yeah I get it that two sets would be great, but not all of us have the space to store an extra set of tires, and I feel that with capability of the Q5 and the high tech tires that are out there one of these has got to be a good year round tire?
Old 02-13-2016, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check out the Michelin Premier LTX. A stellar all season tire. The Primacy has been discontinued.

Tests Reveal the Michelin Premier A/S Tire Doesn?t Give Up Grip as it Wears - Consumer Reports News
Old 02-13-2016, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want one tread for the entire year of weather (if you don't live in LA) look at Nokian WRG3 SUV. Seriously great tires.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I handle the medium snow and then some in my F250 and let the Q have the day off.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jholder
Ok so have narrowed this down a little:

Even though some say that they are crap, the Perrelli - and these?

- PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS (highest rating on tire rack)
- GOODYEAR ASSURANCE CS TRIPLETRED ALL-SEASON (2nd on tire rack)
- MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4
- HANKOOK WINTER I*CEPT EVO W310

Yeah I get it that two sets would be great, but not all of us have the space to store an extra set of tires, and I feel that with capability of the Q5 and the high tech tires that are out there one of these has got to be a good year round tire?
I bought the Pirellis for my '13 Q5 19" a few months back and have put around 3000 miles on them. They're really great tires. I had the Continental factory tires before that so I can't really complain, but these are as good or better. Not sure I'm seeing improved mileage but they are very quiet and perform great. Transmit small bumps a little more firmly but it's hardly noticeable, and I feel like these corner better. Haven't driven them in snow yet, sorry.

Quick Reply: New member, asking about tires....yup