Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Add a CD changer to a SQ5?

Old 01-01-2018, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Add a CD changer to a SQ5?

Any way to add a CD changer to my 14 SQ5? I know, old school but I like quality over quantity.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

shokhead the SQ doesn't come with one ? My 14 Tdi has dvd/cd player dead center of the dash.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I took a look at the 2014 Audi Q5 and SQ5 brochure (ROW markets) and there is a CD changer available for you vehicle. It resides in the upper left hand cubby in the glove box. In my S5, that space is just an open cubby. The Audi AMI port is over on the right side wall of the glove box. Not sure if your SQ5 has a similar arrangement.

I went to the Audi parts catalog and found it. It is item #21 in this parts catalogue: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+q5...1/0/035-35038/

Part Number: 8X0 035 110C

Kufatec sells a CD changer retrofit kit which includes the CD changer. You can purchase it from their website. Here is the link: https://www.kufatec.de/shop/de/audi/...er-audi-mmi-3g

I recommend you contact them and inquire about this CD Changer. I am sure there will be some MMI Green Screen and VCDS tweaks that will need to be done so your SQ5's MMI System will recognize it.

Another alternative is to look for a used CD changer in Ebay then acquire the wiring harness from Kufatec. I just did a search on Ebay and I see quite a few from German sources. They're inexpensive with prices ranging from $72 to $150. The only downside to buying used is you'll never know if it is still good or not.

Last edited by plat27265; 01-01-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
shokhead the SQ doesn't come with one ? My 14 Tdi has dvd/cd player dead center of the dash.
North American Q5/SQ5's and the A4/S4, A5/S5's were never offered the optional 6-CD changer which was available in Europe and ROW.

Last edited by plat27265; 01-01-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Changer.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I took a look at the 2014 Audi Q5 and SQ5 brochure (ROW markets) and there is a CD changer available for you vehicle. It resides in the upper left hand cubby in the glove box. In my S5, that space is just an open cubby. The Audi AMI port is over on the right side wall of the glove box. Not sure if your SQ5 has a similar arrangement.

I went to the Audi parts catalog and found it. It is item #21 in this parts catalogue: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+q5...1/0/035-35038/

Part Number: 8X0 035 110C

Kufatec sells a CD changer retrofit kit which includes the CD changer. You can purchase it from their website. Here is the link: https://www.kufatec.de/shop/de/audi/...er-audi-mmi-3g

I recommend you contact them and inquire about this CD Changer. I am sure there will be some MMI Green Screen and VCDS tweaks that will need to be done so your SQ5's MMI System will recognize it.

Another alternative is to look for a used CD changer in Ebay then acquire the wiring harness from Kufatec. I just did a search on Ebay and I see quite a few from German sources. They're inexpensive with prices ranging from $72 to $150. The only downside to buying used is you'll never know if it is still good or not.
Great info, thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Shokhead-
Onceuponatime, I had audiophile ears. Literally, I could hear over 19khz in the lab, and even the supposedly ultrasonic alarm and traffic detectors. (Which made some department stores about as enjoyable as a dental drill.)

So I've got some audio of what audio quality is, even if my ears are no longer so good. And I hate to tell you, but if you use "lossless MP3" aka "VBR zero" you will get the same full quality that CD's give you, and sometimes more. One step down from VBR-0 is VBR-2 (yes, two steps, but usually they don't do the odd numbers) which cuts the file size in half, and I really defy anyone to do A/B double blind tests and be able to tell the difference between VBR-2 and any digital source. Even when there's no background or ambient noise, which there always will be in a car.

VBR-2 and VBR-4 are also really hard to tell apart, but I suspect better ears *might* be able to, if there's no background noise AND the hardware is good enough. And I don't think the audio hardware in any Audi really is.

I had some low-end high-end stereo gear at home. Used to drive the guys in the "audio salon" crazy because I could do the blind tests and tell so much gear apart. And also, pick the least expensive gear for the quality, ignoring all the marketing and hype.(G) Sansui AU-919 driving Yamaha NS500's, if you want to google obscure cult items. And a Nakamichi 582, which again, could literally duplicate CD quality even with digital masters.

CD? Doesn't matter, it is STILL the same bitrate, the same digital file that a lossless MP3 is. That's just very different from the horrible ultracompact MP3's that were shoved down everyone's throat for so many years. If the Philips Golden Ears Challenge is still online...that's one real good way to check out your ears and equipment.

[In the right thread this time.]
Old 01-04-2018, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Redd one of my first cars was a 65 Plymouth Fury with a single ' what was it ? 6.5" oval speaker centre dash.Oh it was good ! I find my Audi playing MP??? from Sd card is pretty damn good.In my living room I have a Yamaha system that my buddy who owned a high-end audio shop recommended.He explained that Yamaha had two product lines, one they sold through the "big box" guys and one they sold to audio stores,I got the later' 20 years and it still does the job.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Shokhead-
Onceuponatime, I had audiophile ears. Literally, I could hear over 19khz in the lab, and even the supposedly ultrasonic alarm and traffic detectors. (Which made some department stores about as enjoyable as a dental drill.)

So I've got some audio of what audio quality is, even if my ears are no longer so good. And I hate to tell you, but if you use "lossless MP3" aka "VBR zero" you will get the same full quality that CD's give you, and sometimes more. One step down from VBR-0 is VBR-2 (yes, two steps, but usually they don't do the odd numbers) which cuts the file size in half, and I really defy anyone to do A/B double blind tests and be able to tell the difference between VBR-2 and any digital source. Even when there's no background or ambient noise, which there always will be in a car.

VBR-2 and VBR-4 are also really hard to tell apart, but I suspect better ears *might* be able to, if there's no background noise AND the hardware is good enough. And I don't think the audio hardware in any Audi really is.

I had some low-end high-end stereo gear at home. Used to drive the guys in the "audio salon" crazy because I could do the blind tests and tell so much gear apart. And also, pick the least expensive gear for the quality, ignoring all the marketing and hype.(G) Sansui AU-919 driving Yamaha NS500's, if you want to google obscure cult items. And a Nakamichi 582, which again, could literally duplicate CD quality even with digital masters.

CD? Doesn't matter, it is STILL the same bitrate, the same digital file that a lossless MP3 is. That's just very different from the horrible ultracompact MP3's that were shoved down everyone's throat for so many years. If the Philips Golden Ears Challenge is still online...that's one real good way to check out your ears and equipment.

[In the right thread this time.]
Sorry, I'll take a CD over everything you listed but most of mine are well recorded, not junk from today. Lots from org from the mid 80's when they only recorded them in Germany and Japan.