Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

New Problem- squeaking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BCD-1
No Problem here... only after a wash. The rotors seem like they have rust on them ...they make a little sound ...
Once driven and I use the brakes a couple of times . Everything is perfect.
NO squeaking at all

The Q's got 18000Km on it

BCD-1
Common for the rotor to rust after washing All my Audis do
Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gat821
Our brakes squeak a bit as well now that it's cold, but not all the time. If you're driving in a lot of stop and go traffic, then it's probably going to feel like it's happening a lot.
Same here on my 2011 Q5. When it is cold and moving slow with brakes, I hear a small squeak once in a while. Not a biggie.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto for mine after washing. Also, mine sits undriven for 2 or 3 weeks at a time every month and the brakes always creak (more like a groan, actually) for the first few miles afterwards.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

SAME ISSUE! I am so sick of this "German Engineering" This car is touted as this precision instrument... It has 8 gears and often hesitates to pick the right one in the lower numbers... The controls are logical but unnecessarily cumbersome ..etc etc. (no one push presets for the radio... rather a 5 step process of pushes and rolls). My wife says, "You have that fancy car and it makes all that noise!!! Doesn't sound like a fine tuned instrument to me!!"

I started having the brake squeal problem after my first service. I am convinced it is because they wash the brake dust into the rotors. I was amazed to read the same story from so many of you.

I just got mine back from having it fixed, Very inconvenient to get there early before work to drop the car off..and then get it later.. but was very happy to hear that they in fact reproduced the problem and "fixed" it. In fact, I was told that there is a Technical Service (TSB) indicating this is a known problem. I was told they clean and reseat the brake pads and everything works. I was told that there are new pads now that fix the problem that I will get when I get my brakes done.

I happily took my car and as I drove to the edge of the lot.... "SQUEAK!!!!!!!"

Now I have to take the car back...and based on what I am reading here, they won't be able to fix it. A 50K car and all it is is trouble.

Never will I do this again.. Should have known better.

Hoping I can get them to put new pads on. Maybe that will solve the problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 Q5 squeaking

I'm having the same problem yall are having except what lead up to my squeaking. I have a 2012 q5 that hasnt had its 15K service yet since its only at 13K miles and got the brakes looked at when getting the oil changed after a long trip a few months ago. I did just come back from a 3 week break and started driving it again however the sqealing only became noticeable last week. The only weird thing is I havent washed it yet so the only thing I can think of that started it is the fact that it has gotten a lot colder this past week, do yall think a wash might help?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As posted in the other thread:

"The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life."

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I imagine if we keep our rotors "clean" this is a bad thing.

Helpful info in here. I did some of this but not all in the past. Esp helpful is the part on new rotors with zinc coating.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi Q 5 2012 Break Squeaks

It never happened to me before. I came back from 2 weeks vacation. The weather here in Chicago changed from 60's F to 40's F now. My Q 5 starts squeaks very loud. I just got my 10,000 miles maintenance check up. I will see if I can see any changes on squeaking in a few weeks then I will take it to the dealership.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

My brakes have squeaked off and on for the last two years...not consistently or very often, but they do, mostly in colder weather.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine have been squeaking for a few months but it's getting worse. The squeaks last longer, are louder and occur more frequently. It's worse when it's wet out. Currently at 19,000 on my 2013. It occurs when I start driving but goes away after a few presses of the brakes.

I'm going to try rebedding as Reggie suggests. Getting close to my next service so I'll have them check it out if it's still acting up.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayEll
Mine have been squeaking for a few months but it's getting worse. The squeaks last longer, are louder and occur more frequently. It's worse when it's wet out. Currently at 19,000 on my 2013. It occurs when I start driving but goes away after a few presses of the brakes.

I'm going to try rebedding as Reggie suggests. Getting close to my next service so I'll have them check it out if it's still acting up.
There is a updated post regarding this. I had mine fixed through the dealers

Quick Reply: New Problem- squeaking brakes