Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New tires before a trade

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires before a trade

So it looks like we may be trading in our '13 Q5 3.0 for a new SQ5. We need new tires on the front, backs still look good. Since we are trading in to the dealer, I'm trying to minimize their ability to take advantage of us on the trade. Is it worth it to get new tires put on before we take it in?

And while I'm at it here, somewhat related, my Q5 was ordered without Nav. How much is that likely to impact our trade, if at all?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't worry about new tires. It might factor in a little bit, but not enough for you to get back the money you spent. Remember, they can get everything at cost.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on your '13? If under around 50k, chances are they can CPO it so new tires would be part of the process. They will surely mention the fact THEY will have to put new tires on, minimizing your trade-in value (first thing dealers always say). If they do, fight it. They will put new tires on it regardless at no cost to them.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Your q4 was ordered without nav...Does that mean you installed it afterwards?
Look at any used car guide online, it will tell you what Nav is worth.

If the dealer says "Well, it needs new tires" ask him how much that affects the value. If he says "Two hundred bucks" and you can buy them for half of that, just tell him you'll have new tires put on, write it up on the trade-in value. If he says "a hundred bucks" don't worry about it, even a junkyard will charge you more for two used tires.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

The car has 33k miles, and has been babied, so it sounds like you think they would CPO it.

Regarding the nav, we didn't install anything aftermarket. Just good 'ol iPhone mount.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe check into the cheapest tires you can find. Don't buy any road hazard or extra warranty. Usually a clean detailed car will bring $500 more than a dirty one of the same. If you could get tires for $500 or less I would go with it. Also try getting a price from Carmax. This will give you a starting point with the dealer
Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackAce
Is it worth it to get new tires put on before we take it in?
No. Dealers in my area replace all four tires on every car on the lot. Everyone likes new tires and it hides any alignment problems. A local western New York business ( Border Tire ) has a barn full of used tires.

Go to Edmunds.com to see how much your vehicle is worth. They have a break down of the prices for every option selected.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
No. Dealers in my area replace all four tires on every car on the lot. Everyone likes new tires and it hides any alignment problems. A local western New York business ( Border Tire ) has a barn full of used tires.

Go to Edmunds.com to see how much your vehicle is worth. They have a break down of the prices for every option selected.
I've never seen a trade-in devalued by more than it would cost you to replace the tires. Replacing tires on your dime before a trade will cost you more $ every time when it's all totaled up.

Another way to look at it, given the mileage, options, and year of the car, they'll offer you a standard book value plus or minus after a couple minute look-see. By arguing "but it has new tires...", are you going to be able to squeeze more than the cost of the tires out of them on their estimate? Nope.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've always felt trade in value has more to do with the buyers negotiating skills than the actual condition of the car. So, no don't put new tires on before a trade. My buddy traded a 2009 VW CC IN June. It still had winter tires on it. If the dealer wants to make a sale, your bald tires aren't going to make a difference.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT replace the tires. Dealer will have to do so anyway -- even if you bring them in with 99% tread -- to sell the car to the new buyer. CPO or not.

Quick Reply: New tires before a trade