Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Newer Audi windshields seem to be too fragile.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burns375
I can tell you there is no gaurantee a WS can withstand stone impact, especially where the rock hit your windhsield, in the ceramic print area near the edge. I see a big dig mark, glass chip.
Thanks for the info!

Something interesting to note: Our windshields (A8 and the SQ5) are cracked similar to DennisMitchell's in that they were from stone hits to the ceramic print area of the driver's side.

I have a question, would damage from a stone be different from a center punch tool?

Also, you can see the point of impact, but the surface of the glass at that point is still smooth. No chip.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default logo and crack info

[QUOTE=burns375;24591353]If you don't mind take a pic of the Windsheild logo information.

If you look closely, you can see that the crack went to the right as well, along the hood line and then back up into the main part of the windshield.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhblaw
I had a crack show up overnight on my 2013 RS 5. Started at left edge and was about 18" long. I did notice a small chip where it started, but took awhile to crack I guess. So replaced with an OEM windshield on July 11.
Here is a tip - as soon as you see even a small chip get it repaired.
99% not noticible, free with most comprehensive insurance, takes only about a half hour too.
Best is that you keep a factory installed windshield
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saint Gobain Sekurit is also OEM for Audi. Here's the label from my 13 S4 (also cracked on a rock chip near the edge). I insisted on a replacement from Audi and got the very same windshield when the repair crew showed up. Interestingly, my wife's 11 Avant has the very same windshield on it. She's also got a chip in hers but it's in the middle of the windshield and even after two years hasn't even grown 1 mm.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CharlieG; 07-30-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh...I have experienced the same thing.

2 weeks after delivery of our brand new Q5 a rock hit the windshield and cracked right through. Had it replaced with OEM. I have replacement insurance so had OEM straight from dealer and my deductible reimbursed.

Then, 3 days after the windshield was replaced got hit with another rock. F. Fortunately this time it was just a surface chip...just a minor blemish.

Interestingly, this is the first car I've had out of 7 that has experienced any sort of crack from a rock. My first thought was, "Man, this windshield must be really weak."
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Since I have been driving since the 60s I have seen my share of chips and cracks - it is not uncommon and I suspect that last winter was unusually harsh throughout the country and hence much more gravel was on the road than in the past.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You could always apply Clearplex to your windshield once you get it replaced. I haven't personally used it, but it's another layer to prevent this from happening again in the future.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miamigrrl [midori]
Thanks for the info!

Something interesting to note: Our windshields (A8 and the SQ5) are cracked similar to DennisMitchell's in that they were from stone hits to the ceramic print area of the driver's side.

I have a question, would damage from a stone be different from a center punch tool?

Also, you can see the point of impact, but the surface of the glass at that point is still smooth. No chip.
As far as stone impact vs punch. There are many factors related to what can impact a windshield and how. Impact energy, hardness of material, contact area. Each equally important. A diamond ring on glass needs very little force to cause a problem or if you have heard of the spark plug trick. Iridium is very hard. The key characteristic on the glass side is the thickness of the compression layer and the internal tension of glass. Usually compression layer is very thin, say 0.1mm. Once the compression layer is comprimised the glass is very weak and vulnerable to leading. The residual tension in glass typically determines how easily, how quickly and to what extent the crack will form.

Remember, the front windshield and laminated glass in general is inherently weak by design. To keep you safe in the event of a car collison/accident. Laminated glass is designed to break, to keep you inside the vehicle and to keep your head from mashing into pulp. Prior to 1952 windhshields in the us were tempered. Can you image hitting a glass wall at 70 mph, and if the tempered glass broke, can you image being showered with glass at 70mph or being ejected out of the front like a rocket.

Hard to say who is at fault Audi, Environment or Supplier. Rock impacts are tricky and impossible to totally prevent while maintaining cost. The key word is totally, there is a point where the stone is too big, too fast, too hard. That limit is important and difficult to interrupt and understand without conducting controlled lab testing/stress measurement and understanding audi's agreed specs with supplier. Unless there are ALOT of claims for stone impacts causing leads in a particular area then its unlikely Audi or Supplier is at fault due to design and construction.... bc stones will break glass, this is an unfortunate reality.

Like others have mentioned always repair stone impacts asap. Thermal cycling in summer and winter, road force/vibration, body force, will accelerate lead from impact site.

Last edited by burns375; 07-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieG
Saint Gobain Sekurit is also OEM for Audi. Here's the label from my 13 S4 (also cracked on a rock chip near the edge). I insisted on a replacement from Audi and got the very same windshield when the repair crew showed up. Interestingly, my wife's 11 Avant has the very same windshield on it. She's also got a chip in hers but it's in the middle of the windshield and even after two years hasn't even grown 1 mm.
I didn't take a picture of the Saint Gobain Sekurit that the Safelite dealer had received, but it did not have the Audi symbol on it, and the manager did not try to tell me it was OEM. He felt it was aftermarket. I will try to visit with him tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Today my windshield was replaced with OEM glass. First picture was original, second is replaced. Safelite secured the glass from my Audi dealer and installed it.

Original:

Replacement:

Best of luck to all.

Quick Reply: Newer Audi windshields seem to be too fragile.