Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Noisy Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy Steering Wheel

Hey guys. My wife's Q5 just started making a noise in the steering wheel when turning at slow speeds, such as when driving in a parking garage. She has just over 20K miles on it.

I found a posting called "Steering wheel groan" on the S6 forum were the OP's video describes it pretty well.

It is definitely in the steering wheel and not any where else. I moved the steering column up and down before putting it back as close as I could to the original position and it has made that noise only once since then.

I was wondering if any Q5 owners have noticed this?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xylar5
Hey guys. My wife's Q5 just started making a noise in the steering wheel when turning at slow speeds, such as when driving in a parking garage. She has just over 20K miles on it.

I found a posting called "Steering wheel groan" on the S6 forum were the OP's video describes it pretty well.

It is definitely in the steering wheel and not any where else. I moved the steering column up and down before putting it back as close as I could to the original position and it has made that noise only once since then.

both my S6 and now, my 4 week old SQ5 are having steering wheel groans...nuts!...looks like a trip to the dealer
Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Xylar5

That's the exact same noise I had with my 2013 Q5 3.0T before I traded in for a 2015 prestige 3.0T. I've been to the dealer three times and they couldn't figure out what was the cause. Its only makes noise when it's hot or humid outside and once I shut the car off and let it cool for 20 mins, the noise goes away. I can't believe so many people are experiencing this issue and Audi still has TSB or fix for this issue. It's making me worry now that I will have this noise on my 2015 further down the road, even thou everything is pretty smooth so far...
Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Topchef
both my S6 and now, my 4 week old SQ5 are having steering wheel groans...nuts!...looks like a trip to the dealer
Good luck with that and keep us posted.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2015 does it every once in a while, but haven't noticed it on my 2014.

I be interested in what the Dealer has to say too.

V/r
Dan
Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
My 2015 does it every once in a while, but haven't noticed it on my 2014.

I be interested in what the Dealer has to say too.

V/r
Dan

had mine looked at the dealer, they advised on new cars, since audi switched to electronic steering there is a bushing/ bearing/ molding which is really stiff that makes noise and should be gone by 15k tune up
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Already at 20K and still does it. Happened today when I went to get some lunch.

V/r
Dan
Old 07-22-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

It makes me feel a little better that this is more of an ongoing issue and does not seem to be a major mechanical malfunction.

I like how Audi says that the noise should be gone by the time you reach 15K miles, and ours did not even start until 20K.

For now, all is quiet, but we will continue monitoring it.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

My SQ5 makes noises too. I'm hesitant to call it a 'groan' because it's faint, but I guess I don't have a better word for it. Kind of a low-pitches squeak, if that makes sense. If the radio is on at any perceptible volume, I don't hear the noises but when I lose SXM signal in a garage or something, I can hear it.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
My SQ5 makes noises too. I'm hesitant to call it a 'groan' because it's faint, but I guess I don't have a better word for it. Kind of a low-pitches squeak, if that makes sense. If the radio is on at any perceptible volume, I don't hear the noises but when I lose SXM signal in a garage or something, I can hear it.
It was also present on my 2013 A6 and when I took it in 2x they said they re-greased something in the steering wheel and after the last time it went away. I do hear it on my SQ at slow speeds but I'll wait to see what happens after more miles (only 3300) and then I'll take it in for the grease job.

Quick Reply: Noisy Steering Wheel