Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Today's WSJ says that VW is now looking at their top engineers, who might have done this on their own because of excess pressure to perform. (Uhuh.)

"And diesel will not only survive but thrive. They make up half of all sales in the EU, and are not popular in the US due to low gas prices. "
That's not quite right. Diesel engines were largely PROHIBITED in the US because they give off large quantities or particulates (the black soot you see from 18-wheelers under load) and large quantities of NOx (nitrous oxide) both of which have been found to be heavy and dangerous health hazards in the US.
By contrast, the EU doesn't care about soot and thinks our artificial sweeteners will kill more people than their diesels will, so they ban our sweeteners and we ban their engines.
Volkswagen's big lie was that they COULD meet the US standards, and meantime, there's talk in the EU about raising standards for clean air emissions and banning the engines they've used there as well.
Then of course there is China, the world's largest market, and they aren't happy about yellow haze in the cities either.

I strongly suspect VW will be made to pay reparations in the US:
-To the fed, for increased medical care costs
-To the fed, for criminal fraud violations
-To the class actions, for "diminished value" as well as extra fuel costs (perhaps being forced to mail a "get 500 gallons free" card to owners?)
-To make a repurchase offer, perhaps a "Get 20% above book value if you trade it in" or a similar heavy discount on a new car

All sorts of options are open. But as the Fed has proved with recent fines and penalties, they're getting tired of this crap, the lies and outright crimes and coverups, from many businesses including the car makers especially. The VOTERS are even complaining, and there's always an election year coming up when someone wants to be the hero and make sure the voters are looking forward to checks.

I could see VW being ordered to allow any diesel owner very generous terms on an electric or hybrid for the next decade--and ordered to bring them to market, as compensation. Or simply told "you have to replace 250,000 cars with zero-emission hybrids, you figure out how".
But with VW stock having gone down some 41% so far and no bottom in sight, VW had damned well better get creative. If the stock gets cheap enough--the Chinese CAN literally buy the company outright.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The can of worms is just starting to open. The Audi tech that I spoke to stated that while the Q5 is not yet implicated, it is only a matter of time, even with the ad blue system. Data was faked all over the place with the TDI engineering including the general specs.

In the Pacific Northwest, driving a TDI is equal to driving a Hummer. People are being shamed, cars getting damaged. At my work, everyone is saying something about my TDI in a bad, killing the environment way. Not good for my reputation as a professional.
No thanks I am done (even though I love my TDI's power/torque).
Old 10-06-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
The can of worms is just starting to open. The Audi tech that I spoke to stated that while the Q5 is not yet implicated, it is only a matter of time, even with the ad blue system. Data was faked all over the place with the TDI engineering including the general specs.

In the Pacific Northwest, driving a TDI is equal to driving a Hummer. People are being shamed, cars getting damaged. At my work, everyone is saying something about my TDI in a bad, killing the environment way. Not good for my reputation as a professional.
I have a feeling you are right.... but hope that if we are implicated that its a matter of increasing the injection rate of AdBlue. The wiki article on AdBlue says that the injection rate should be between 2 and 6 percent of the fuel burn. With a 10K service interval and Adblue supposed to last for that full interval, it would take 7 gallons at 2%. I believe our capacity is around 5 gallons. Of course, info from online is always suspect so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I am hoping the Q5 TDI emissions are ok.

The X5 diesel in the UWV testing was OK. I believe the X5 has a 15,000 service interval. The X5 has about a 6 gallon DEF capacity. Now the folks over at bimmerfest indicate that their X5 need DEF top-off sometimes before their 15K service interval. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

My Q5 TDI had a warning for low DEF just before my 15K service. It clearly is using the fluid.

This is somewhat hopeful in my optimistic mind.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 10-06-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to hold off doing anything drastic for now, and give the whole issue time to unfold more. It seems like the issue is already receding from the day to day news and real resolution information should start emerging soon. The issue is still hot on enthusiast forums like AW but they represent a tiny fraction of owners and the car buying public in general.

If you have coworkers making comments about your car because it's a diesel which you bought long before knowing all of this, I'd say they have other issues vs. what you happen to be driving.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I am hoping the Q5 TDI emissions are ok.

The X5 diesel in the UWV testing was OK. I believe the X5 has a 15,000 service interval. The X5 has about a 6 gallon DEF capacity. Now the folks over at bimmerfest indicate that their X5 need DEF top-off sometimes before their 15K service interval. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

My Q5 TDI had a warning for low DEF just before my 15K service. It clearly is using the fluid.

This is somewhat hopeful in my optimistic mind.
Yeah... I goofed on the 15K interval. With 15K, 28mpg and 6 gallons... thats 1.1%.

Google found an article that indicates that the X5 is about 6 gallons capacity too.... so that would seem to be good news...

I think worst case for us may be a need to add AdBlue between services... which will be fine with me. I go much less than 15K per year anyway so I will be less than 10K between services.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
If you have coworkers making comments about your car because it's a diesel which you bought long before knowing all of this, I'd say they have other issues vs. what you happen to be driving.
Yeah.. welcome to the PNW....

>>>My Q5 TDI had a warning for low DEF just before my 15K service. It clearly is using the fluid.>>>

For whatever is worth, the 2013 Passat TDI we have that is part of the recall also uses adblue. I had to refill not a long time ago, the light came on.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Amen..
Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That type of conduct (not just coworkers) is perhaps more reprehensible than what VW did.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keener

I think worst case for us may be a need to add AdBlue between services... which will be fine with me. I go much less than 15K per year anyway so I will be less than 10K between services.
Whoohoo! Free lifetime AdBlue!

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall