Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Here is an exchange between myself and NAVTEC peeps...who seem to want to help but either cannot or don't know how to help. I'm not sure which...or if either is accurate. I do know that NAVTEC seems to be pointing the finger at AUDI in one email but cannot provide info to substantiate in another. This whole scenario is F'ed up, IMO. Being that I'm engaged in animal rescue over a large area of the Mid-Atlantic USA I need accurate maps and I find it frustrating that I can't count on my AUDI NAV to get me where I need to be. I won't make this mistake twice.

The exchanges:
ME:
Device: Audi Q5 MMI OEM Navigation
Comments: My 2010 Audi Q5 maps are indeed very dated. Maps that are out-dated are not only inconvenient but they can be dangerous to those that rely on accurate direction. When can I expect an update for my obsolete maps as I'm tired of having to carry my Garmin system with me on long trips to fill in the holes left by my VERY expensive Audi system.
Regards,
HBWT

THEM:
1st response from Allison L" <nabc_english@navteq.com
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Your 2010 Audi Q5 came equipped with the newest maps currently available. At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced. If you would like to be notified when new releases or special promotions become available, please register with us at www.navteq.com/registration.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

ME:
Hi Allison L.
This reply mirrors one that was given to a fellow AudiWorld forum member a few months ago. Damn disappointing given the Q5 came out in 2009 and there's been no update.
You say,
"Generally updates are released every 12-18 months."
I bought my 2010 Q5 in October '09. It was built in August '09. In one month it will be 2 years. From what I have learned there has NEVER been an update going back the the introduction of the Q5. If I'm correct, that would be a little over 3 years. This seems irresponsible on your part as well as Audi.
You say, "At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced."
How can there be a next update when there has never been any update?

THEM:
2nd response from June V:
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. I apologize that there has not been an update for your vehicle. Again updates are usually released every 12 to 18 months and are supplied to us by the manufactures. We do not know when the updates are coming out until the manufactures let us know a release date. Here at NAVTEQ we supply the manufactures with the raw map data and then the manufactures put the update together. Also the navigation systems themselves are supplied by third party suppliers.

ME:
This brings up another question then. When did you last supply Audi with any "raw map data?". This info would likely be the best indicator as to when the update will come out.

THEM:
3rd respnse from June V:
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. I do apologize but I actually do not have that information. As stated earlier we won't find out when an update will be released until it is actually released.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

SUX...

I suppose I'll be on the phone with AOA next(when I get the time)...probably to no avail.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was leaning in this direction anyway, but your experience above has convinced me that the Nav map business is not an option worth paying for. My phone has google maps as does my iPad.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for a $100 TomTom and save yourself some stress. Audi will come around someday...
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Bulldog. I too find it unbelievable that there is no update available and the passing of the buck on this is very frustrating. I think the calls need to go out to AoA and we need to start turning up the heat on them to get with it.

I am picking up my brand spanking new 2012 Q5 in less than a month. I am fully prepared to see it loaded with three year old maps. Although I'm prepared for it, it is still gonna really **** me off just the same. Sickening when you pay $3k for a nav unit with three year old maps.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I think the calls need to go out to AoA and we need to start turning up the heat on them to get with it.
Agreed. Look what happen to Netflix. 36000 replay in 24 hr. Sure, we not get 36000 vote, but if we get 3600 - it will be something.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Agreed. Look what happen to Netflix. 36000 replay in 24 hr. Sure, we not get 36000 vote, but if we get 3600 - it will be something.
Been real busy at work lately but I'll try to call tomorrow. I may even write a letter. Not sure to who but someone should get some written correspondence.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BayGBM
I was leaning in this direction anyway, but your experience above has convinced me that the Nav map business is not an option worth paying for. My phone has google maps as does my iPad.
+1, Google Maps and Navigation on my Smartphone works exceptionally well.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, our tablets, either of our phones, and our two garmins do well...

but all total they all cost me about a third of the nav sys...

I too spoke with Audi of America today and they tried the same gambit on me... then I reminded them that they had already told me that and gave me a case number for reimbursement to go buy an update.

I wondered why they gave me that so quickly - now I know... because there is no update available to buy !

I suggested they speak to their higher ups as I've seen class action suits over less than this.

but of course I did it nicely since the phone unit has very little influence!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Been real busy at work lately but I'll try to call tomorrow. I may even write a letter. Not sure to who but someone should get some written correspondence.
I'd address the letter to Johan de Nysschen, president of Audi of America. I'm sure he won't be the one to read it, but one of his minions will get it right away, and hopefully get something going on it. While we've never had an issue with the out-of-date maps, I agree they should be updated, and it seems the only way to get that done is for many people to clamor about it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had asked my salesperson a couple months ago about nav map updates, and she told me that map data was updated via satellite, and that it was only the Nav system software that required CD/DVD manual updates.

I asked her again today after seeing this thread, and this is what she said:

"There is no map disc for a Q5. It's all satelitte driven. I have never not had a road that is a real state/county/city road or street not show up on a map in a 2009 or newer Audi. There are 12 satelittes that feed the navigation."

and then in a follow-up:

"I was right. It's software that can be updated by Audi but that only changes functions. The maps are updated by satelitte and you have to do nothing to get that."

I asked if there was any documentation, or a website, that she could point me to so I could read up on it all in detail. Will update when I get a response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...