Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Been real busy at work lately but I'll try to call tomorrow. I may even write a letter. Not sure to who but someone should get some written correspondence.
I just put in a call with AOA concerning this issue. I figure if enough of us keep pushing this issue then maybe, just maybe someday something will happen.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

This is funny, especially since Audi customer service several times insisted that Navteq is the company that provides maps and software and that there is nothing they (Audi) can do to fix the "no letters in house numbers" bug or outdated map data. They (Audi and Navteq) should get their story straight...
Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geronimosan
"I was right. It's software that can be updated by Audi but that only changes functions. The maps are updated by satelitte and you have to do nothing to get that."
I wish this were true. Unfortunately, your salesman's comments fly in the face of what many others have reported. Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this...sometime soon.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this...sometime soon.
Subscribed.

Expect to take delivery of my first Audi in September (with navigation), and am sorry to see how frustrated some of you are with outdated map information. I can't imagine failing to put an update together for three years (or more). Isn't it someone's job (at Audi or "Navteq" or whatever) to keep the system up to date? What does he do all day? Get it together!

If I can lend a hand with a vote of support or sharply worded letter, let me know!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Map data / POIs are updated at the factory at every model year change; although MY2009 and MY2010 had the same data-level. However, there is not yet a process for updating customer vehicles at the moment. Bummer.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I am on a list of people who input Navteq and recently did a survey about updating the system via the dealer or by owner and the costs. It appears they have not made up their mind yet.

So other things that others have commented on that I find interesting are the lack of state borders and the lines drawn for time zones.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The new Q3 comes with the next generation mmi, which means it has the goole search for the navigation. But Audi said the hardware inside the Q3 is still the current generation mmi, they just modify the software looks like the next generation. I think they can do the same thing for our Q5, adding the google map seems a good idea.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by geronimosan
I had asked my salesperson a couple months ago about nav map updates, and she told me that map data was updated via satellite, and that it was only the Nav system software that required CD/DVD manual updates.

I asked her again today after seeing this thread, and this is what she said:

"There is no map disc for a Q5. It's all satelitte driven. I have never not had a road that is a real state/county/city road or street not show up on a map in a 2009 or newer Audi. There are 12 satelittes that feed the navigation."

and then in a follow-up:

"I was right. It's software that can be updated by Audi but that only changes functions. The maps are updated by satelitte and you have to do nothing to get that."

I asked if there was any documentation, or a website, that she could point me to so I could read up on it all in detail. Will update when I get a response.
geronimosan,
sorry, don't take this personal - but I think person, who told you this don't know s@#$ about satelittes navigation).
12 satelittes is used to triangulate your location, and not to download software to your car. Is is first time I herd such BS from dealer.
Let me give you example: we all have PC, and every Tuesday, when Microsoft release new patches, you get this patches to connecting to Microsoft Update web site - none beam you this updates from satellite.
Same with our navigation. Map on car hard drive stored is specific files. This files need to be patched, after this MMI system need reboot. Unfortunately, with latest Navigation on Hard drives, you must bring your car to dealer to maker this updates. For my other car, every time I "purchase" DVD with new map - it's take about 10 min and then iDrive get re-boot and you good to go
Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manup
+1, Google Maps and Navigation on my Smartphone works exceptionally well.
Why can't Audi give us the option to use Google maps (which I love) on the nav system? In an age when so much can be shared via the Internet, downloaded to our cell phones and iPads why can't Audi update their maps data twice or thrice a year and give us a choice of map interfaces? At the very least bringing the car to a dealership for a map upgrade should be an option.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
geronimosan,
sorry, don't take this personal - but I think person, who told you this don't know s@#$ about satelittes navigation).
12 satelittes is used to triangulate your location, and not to download software to your car. Is is first time I herd such BS from dealer.
Let me give you example: we all have PC, and every Tuesday, when Microsoft release new patches, you get this patches to connecting to Microsoft Update web site - none beam you this updates from satellite.
Same with our navigation. Map on car hard drive stored is specific files. This files need to be patched, after this MMI system need reboot. Unfortunately, with latest Navigation on Hard drives, you must bring your car to dealer to maker this updates. For my other car, every time I "purchase" DVD with new map - it's take about 10 min and then iDrive get re-boot and you good to go

Not taken personally in the least. I'm just passing along the info from the mouths of my dealership - not saying I agreed with said info (which I why I followed up to ask if there was detailed documentation we could view).

Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...