Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayGBM
Why can't Audi give us the option to use Google maps (which I love) on the nav system? In an age when so much can be shared via the Internet, downloaded to our cell phones and iPads why can't Audi update their maps data twice or thrice a year and give us a choice of map interfaces? At the very least bringing the car to a dealership for a map upgrade should be an option.
This is already implemented on the A6 and A7 I believe.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bayridgeguy
This is already implemented on the A6 and A7 I believe.
Yes, but you have to pay for this $30/mo,
where is in BMW it's use data plan from your phone.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
geronimosan,
sorry, don't take this personal - but I think person, who told you this don't know s@#$ about satelittes navigation).
12 satelittes is used to triangulate your location, and not to download software to your car. Is is first time I herd such BS from dealer.
Let me give you example: we all have PC, and every Tuesday, when Microsoft release new patches, you get this patches to connecting to Microsoft Update web site - none beam you this updates from satellite.
Same with our navigation. Map on car hard drive stored is specific files. This files need to be patched, after this MMI system need reboot. Unfortunately, with latest Navigation on Hard drives, you must bring your car to dealer to maker this updates. For my other car, every time I "purchase" DVD with new map - it's take about 10 min and then iDrive get re-boot and you good to go
You'd have a hard time trying to triangulate your position with a satelittle... A satellite on the other hand Only requires three for positioning but four or more is ideal for accuracy. I wouldn't say updates via satellite are as much of a stretch as you think. People in rural areas use satellites for their Internet connection vs DSL/Cable etc. Also, how do you think real time traffic works?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hmn4858
You'd have a hard time trying to triangulate your position with a satelittle... A satellite on the other hand Only requires three for positioning but four or more is ideal for accuracy. I wouldn't say updates via satellite are as much of a stretch as you think. People in rural areas use satellites for their Internet connection vs DSL/Cable etc. Also, how do you think real time traffic works?
Real time traffic works exactly as you describe.
Just don't tell me that amount of data for traffic is the same as update Navigation (> 6 Gb)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

People in rural areas use satellites for their Internet connection vs DSL/Cable etc.
I knew I should have ticked off that satellite dish option on the order sheet
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real time traffic works exactly as you describe.
Just don't tell me that amount of data for traffic is the same as update Navigation (> 6 Gb)
Never said anything of the sort but just pointing out the capability is there albeit very slow.

I believe currently, the fastest commercial speed is around 10 mbps but not a stretch to think in the future updates would be via satellite.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Never said anything of the sort but just pointing out the capability is there albeit very slow.

I believe currently, the fastest commercial speed is around 10 mbps but not a stretch to think in the future updates would be via satellite.
There no other way to update Hard Drive based navigation in latest cars as to bring car to dealership, connect to dealer computer and run update software, that probably in process update map files and POI's. With DVD based navigation is totally different story. You get disk - popup in DVD reader - you done.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There no other way to update Hard Drive based navigation in latest cars as to bring car to dealership, connect to dealer computer and run update software, that probably in process update map files and POI's. With DVD based navigation is totally different story. You get disk - popup in DVD reader - you done.
Interestingly, in Nav/Setup/Settings, there is Customer Update option, then within that, it asks for where the update could come from - CD/DVD, USB, SD 1, SD 2.

You would think that Navteq could supply a disc with just the updated map data and POI, without Audi having to do any other software updates on their side (how the map data is drawn, presented - though it is possible any updated map data may contain new POI types that the software wouldn't know how to present, but heck, part of the data could be new icons too!). But then again, that would be too simple and so probably is not the way it is
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gat821
Interestingly, in Nav/Setup/Settings, there is Customer Update option, then within that, it asks for where the update could come from - CD/DVD, USB, SD 1, SD 2.

You would think that Navteq could supply a disc with just the updated map data and POI, without Audi having to do any other software updates on their side (how the map data is drawn, presented - though it is possible any updated map data may contain new POI types that the software wouldn't know how to present, but heck, part of the data could be new icons too!). But then again, that would be too simple and so probably is not the way it is
This morning, when I re-read my post and your replay - I have to admit, that I miss major point in my post. There was a rumors on BMW board that new updates can came in a DVD disk. Make sense.
New cars has very sophisticated computers on-board. To upgrade this computers or one specific application (Navigation) you need update software installed on other computer (via cable) or direct update via media - and in Q case - t can be DVD (just because Navigation files to big to hold on CD), SD card or USB2 port for external HD.
Last week I was attended some classes - all information about class, labs, student reading materials, was on USB drive. No more printing book - electronic pdf file. I can see updates can be send out on USB (4,6 or 8 Gb) tomb drives. It cost way less (probably, not sure here) then burn master gold DVD, make a mold and then stamp thousands DVDs. Regarding updates can not only updates Navigation and MMI - don't know, but if you look at Microsoft and their update process - You can choose one specific update or select all and let installation program take care of this.

But I miss another major point. To do this - car manufacture (Audi), need to request navigation software manufacture to make updates and pay them for their work. I don't think this happen yet.

Last edited by TIME89; 07-16-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, but you have to pay for this $30/mo,
where is in BMW it's use data plan from your phone.
I was looking through the new German Price guide and there is a data plan option that wasn't in the old guide. It uses the Google Earth pictures for the MMI Navigation and makes the car a WLAN hotspot. So I guess you could see this option in the future Q5's for the states.

Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...