Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Official Audi world Q5/SQ5 Photo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks very good, Simon. Many grats & welcome. Steve
Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks GREAT Simon.....beauty
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why no pano?...

Originally Posted by SnowTurtle
I understand why people delete sunroofs on M3s, 911s, etc., but I don't understand why one wouldn't want it in a vehicle like the SQ5? Maybe for climate reasons? Does it make the car a lot hotter in warmer areas?
I switched from sports cars to SUV's about 13 years ago, and I've always wanted them to be sportier. This SQ5 isn't really big enough for what I need, but they don't offer an SQ7.
I ordered mine immediately after the test drive because it was the ONLY test drive that put a S-E-grin on my face. I later decided to delete the pano roof for a number of reasons:
  1. Performance: The pano-roof assembly (glass, tracks, motors, headliner, etc.) weighs 230 pounds, all of which is on the roof.
    I (and others) can really notice the difference in handling and reduced body roll without it.
  2. Economy: That reduction in weight does, of course, help the fuel economy.
  3. Use: My last 6 vehicles have had them and I never really used them.
  4. Climate: It gets PFH here in Texas, and the pano roof doesn't completely close, light-wise, and I prefer a dark interior.
  5. Noise: Obviously, there is no wind noise, or creaks, or any concerns at all with leaks.
  6. Headroom: Apparently, the headliner assembly for the pano hangs down lower inside. I'm 6'3 and could wear a Farrell hat, no problem.

There are other forums here, where this has been an interesting topic. Many people who bought for the luxury, love the pano. I believe the only people who would delete it, are the SQ types. We bought the SQ for its performance. Otherwise, you can find a much better ride, economy, package, and price on a regular Q5. So, if buying for performance value, why strap Billy Bob on the roof?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Simon891
Very nice! I really wanted Daytona, but not being available in MY14, I had to settle for Monsoon...it's close.
The following users liked this post:
Acid Rain (05-16-2021)
Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi RS5 19'x8J ET26 OEM Wheels on an Audi Q5:

Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
I switched from sports cars to SUV's about 13 years ago, and I've always wanted them to be sportier. This SQ5 isn't really big enough for what I need, but they don't offer an SQ7.
I ordered mine immediately after the test drive because it was the ONLY test drive that put a S-E-grin on my face. I later decided to delete the pano roof for a number of reasons:
  1. Performance: The pano-roof assembly (glass, tracks, motors, headliner, etc.) weighs 230 pounds, all of which is on the roof.
    I (and others) can really notice the difference in handling and reduced body roll without it.
  2. Economy: That reduction in weight does, of course, help the fuel economy.
  3. Use: My last 6 vehicles have had them and I never really used them.
  4. Climate: It gets PFH here in Texas, and the pano roof doesn't completely close, light-wise, and I prefer a dark interior.
  5. Noise: Obviously, there is no wind noise, or creaks, or any concerns at all with leaks.
  6. Headroom: Apparently, the headliner assembly for the pano hangs down lower inside. I'm 6'3 and could wear a Farrell hat, no problem.

There are other forums here, where this has been an interesting topic. Many people who bought for the luxury, love the pano. I believe the only people who would delete it, are the SQ types. We bought the SQ for its performance. Otherwise, you can find a much better ride, economy, package, and price on a regular Q5. So, if buying for performance value, why strap Billy Bob on the roof?
Where did you get the 230 lbs from? Not saying it's incorrect, but it does seem kind of high. The sheetmetal it replaces must weigh something too, so even if the pano roof is as heavy as you say, the difference is less than that. Ether way, all valid points.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Where did you get the 230 lbs from? Not saying it's incorrect, but it does seem kind of high. The sheetmetal it replaces must weigh something too, so even if the pano roof is as heavy as you say, the difference is less than that. Ether way, all valid points.
A member (jhgold) responded in a different thread last year that:

"Just a tidbit, I got the numbers from an Audi engineer, the weight difference between a SQ5 of the same options with and without the sunroof is 66.1 lbs or ~30kg."
Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
According to spijun (Audi) it is 104 kg. according to my math, that's 229.28 pounds.

Originally Posted by snig
A member (jhgold) responded in a different thread last year that:
"Just a tidbit, I got the numbers from an Audi engineer, the weight difference between a SQ5 of the same options with and without the sunroof is 66.1 lbs or ~30kg."
That doesn't sound quite right...the sheet metal and supports for that section of roof couldn't weigh more than 100 pounds. I just checked and it doesn't say if it's 230 lbs more, or if that's just the assembly weight. In a slalom, you can definitely tell a difference.

Last edited by SQive; 09-26-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There certainly is a lot of (mis?) information floating around on the weight of the dreaded pano roof on the Q5. I wonder what it really weighs?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just picked this up last night. LOVE. I'm obviously new here - wondering what the best way to protect it would be. I do a lot of highway driving, so rocks are commonplace. The dealer suggested the clear bra, but I figure he's just trying to sell a product.
- Amanda

Quick Reply: Official Audi world Q5/SQ5 Photo Thread