Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

One year with my Q5

Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One year with my Q5

Today, it’s been exactly one year that I bought my Q5 TDI. I’ve driven my Q5 for 17250 miles. Prior to driving the Q I’d recently driven an Acura RDX and a 3-series Bimmer.

The Q has easily been the best of these cars for several reasons. First, as is well known, the torque is insane, and comes in handy in several driving situations. Second, I’m averaging almost 27 miles per gallon, and I’m trending higher since I moved out of LA (no more stop and go traffic). Third, and this is a combination with the first two factors, driving my Q5 has been a lot of fun to drive. For example, I recently visited Lake Tahoe for some skiing, the ride was great , the Quattro all wheel drive system acquitted itself very well in the snow and ice; and I got 31.8 miles per gallon!

I haven’t experienced any mechanical difficulties, and no squeaks and rattles. Toward the end of the end of the maintenance cycle, oil has been a little low, but not alarmingly so. Of course, one year hardly should be indicative of the reliability of the vehicle, but it’s a good start.

I’m not sure how Dieselgate will be resolved. I renewed my California registration without any problems, but I know there is a lot of anxiety around this issue. Since I haven’t yet been directly impacted, I haven’t been following the latest developments too closely. Speaking only for myself, if the approved fix doesn’t degrade my mileage and torque by more than 1-3% and incur additional maintenance beyond normal then I would think I’m good. We shall see.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im with ya fzmann.. Love my '15 TDI. Just a couple niggles (key fob fail, wireless data issue) but I love the car. 28mpg average for daily use for me. Ive only got 9300 miles on mine (dont drive that much... small town). Would really like to find a proper dipstick that could remain in the car.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is almost 1 year old and at 10,000 miles. I like the torque but the over-steer bothers me as it doesn't handle as well as my 2.0 Q5 did. If I keep it, I will likely add sway bars and or lower it.