Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Opinions on price please.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an Audi. Simple fact is that people who can afford luxury cars want luxury items in those cars. It's more about the novelty than the usefulness at times. I'm not saying that tons of people don't want, need, and use NAV...but many also don't (but still have to have it). I would agree that it's much harder to sell an Audi without it...AND that's good for you. If you have no need for NAV, then this is an amazing deal, especially if they will come down further in price (which it sounds like they will).
They aren't going to sell it tomorrow or the day after. Like someone mentioned...go back and tell them you really wanted a vehicle with the MMI NAV. Tell you've found another 2014 out there that does have it and you think you should probably go check that out too.. Not sure where you are located...but here's a link to one with NAV: 2014 Audi SQ5 3.0T Premium Plus quattro, $56,400 - Cars.com
You can tell them you'd rather not travel and start over again, so you'll buy there's for $50K. I think they'll go for it. If not, walk out the door. The salesman already threw that number out...they'll call you. Trust me.
Let us know how it goes down.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Personally, I would miss the back up camera. However, if you would not, it's a great deal and you'l enjoy the heck out of driving it. Steve
Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping this vehicle. Since most people who purchase luxury brand autos expect Nav to be included, you may have a difficult time selling the non-Nav vehicle (just like your dealer is now) and you may have to sell it for quite a bit less than other vehicles (just like your dealer is now).

However, with the constant improvements in smart phones (and their associated apps), this may become less of an obstacle....
Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought that the navs in cars were the biggest wast of money since most are a pain to use... While I love my iphone 6 with unlimited data and my ipad with unlimited data both for $29.99 each I actually like the Audi MMI with Nav a lot... I use the audi app and do a search for where I want to go and "send it to the car" feature works brilliantly. Once I turned off different nav alerts that I didn't want the Audi MMI Nav works great.

I hardly use the computer to send to car but I love the app send to car and think I may choose to pay the money to keep the 3g... UGH 3g alive.

If you definitely will only use your smartphone your smart phone for the nav feature than who cares but you might want to try the nav out since it is actually a pretty good nav system.

3G vs LTE is a whole different story which is a total bummer in my opinion but if I only use the 3g for the nav and quick local searches I'm not that bothered by it.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Personally, I would miss the back up camera. However, if you would not, it's a great deal and you'l enjoy the heck out of driving it. Steve
I had a backup cam in my Mazda CX-9 and don't miss it that much. I have my mirrors set so that the passenger side swivels to show the curb/sidewalk, which helps a great deal in parallel parking. Otherwise, just use all three of your mirrors! The CX-9 also had NAV which I miss occasionally but as others have suggested I just use my iPhone. Works OK although we're hands-free in California so I have to be stealthy.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masemoto
That's part of my question, am I nuts to consider an Audi without MMI? What am I missing that people won't buy a car without it?
It's a luxury car, and most people have come to expect that a luxury car comes with certain amenities, such as navigation. You're getting it for less now because it doesn't have it, and you will be getting less for it when you sell it, for the same reason. Just as the dealer has to drop their pants right now to get rid of it, you may be in a similar situation when it's time to sell. As long as you're OK with it, I'd say get it. We all have different wants/needs/likes.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Before 2-3 months I read research in the EU has shown that only 30% of owners use the integrated navigation more than 3 times a year.

Are increasingly using smartphones, mostly because of radar, cameras and speed cameras (cca 57.000 in EU ). Another reason why the upgrade for new maps is too expensive 300-400 EUR

Last edited by spijun; 10-05-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad deal at all BUT I wouldn't ever buy a luxury car without Nav & Would Expect the resale value to take a decent hit
Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my prestige SQ5 for almost a year. I have not once used my NAV. I only got it for resale and the back up camera.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year I sold my 2006 325i which was optioned very well (luxury and sport pkg) but no navigation... Got $15k for it and never received one question about nav.
My SQ5 has it, but I don't have much occasion to use it. I pretty much like to know where I'm going when I get in the car. Backup camera is nice though. Your car in mind is pretty rare...most cars on the lots equipped that nicely have the MMI installed as well.

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 10-06-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on price please.