Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Our new son, his health issues, and t-shirts for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Our new son, his health issues, and t-shirts for sale

Hey guys, many of you have been part of my family for the past 15 years since I started in this community in the A4.org days. Many of us have supported each other through life's various ups and downs, and while I am typically slightly hesitant in sharing my own "problems" with others, I have been encouraged that it's in all of our benefit and what makes this the amazing community that it is. So here goes...

On 8/26/14, we were blessed with the birth of our second child, Maxwell Reid.

Our first, Audrianna Hailey, is now almost 3 yrs old (in Jan) and has been an awesome big sister. Mom, Janna, was doing great after delivery:

Then on 9/29/14, our five week old son, was diagnosed with (and was born with; very rare) Leukemia after a routine 1 month well-baby visit to our pediatrician. After critical blood test results, he was taken by ambulance to Duke University Hospital. He spent a couple days in the pediatric intensive care unit, and was then transferred to the hematology/oncology unit to undergo ongoing intensive chemotherapy.

He has been there ever since, and will be for most of the next five months, with a minimum two years of scheduled cancer treatments. He is expected to need a bone marrow transplant at 7 months old. Maxwell has been receiving outstanding care at Duke and has exceeded expectations during treatment thus far.

Please keep our little man in your thoughts. The odds are against him at this age, but he's been doing great, given the circumstances, and we know he'll beat this!

We invite you to follow Maxwell's progress on the CaringBridge site that we set up (Maxwell | Journal | CaringBridge), as that is where we have and will continue to post updates. If you visit the CaringBridge site, we just ask that you take a moment to sign the Guestbook and tell him how you know him and what city/state you're sending your support from - we'll have him read all of these when he's older and has beaten cancer!

Our friend Rebecca (rmittspt@yahoo.com) has organized a Bone Marrow Testing Drive (cheek swab) with BeTheMatch (HomePage) on Tues Nov 11th 3-7pm at Duke Regional Hospital. Please consider participating if you are local. If remote, Rebecca can get a kit sent to you for at home testing.

To help fundraise for this event, our friends Scott (AudiSScott on the forums) has designed and Erica is processing orders for "MaXwell Strong" T-Shirts. Shirts are $20 (+ship if remote) and proceeds will be split between BTM and Maxwell's family. Email Erica (Erica.Chorosevic@yahoo.com) with your order by Thurs 10/23 (there may be more, but our focus is one main order then). Youth sizes are also available: XS(4/6), S(6/8), M(10/12), L(14/16).

Our friend Jessie (jhaury@mac.com) has organized a fundraising website for those that would like to contribute to the variety of different expenses Maxwell will incur during his years of treatment. From bandages to formula to parking to prescriptions to care takers and beyond. The GiveForward website for Maxwell is here:
https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...-s-cancer-fund

Thank you for all of the love and support. Maxwell needs and appreciates each and everyone that is rooting for him.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

First, you have a beautiful family. Still absorbing this news. You will certainly be in my thoughts. Puts thoughts about Audi's in the rear view mirror. I wish you and your family the best with your journey. Duke is a great place.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
First, you have a beautiful family. Still absorbing this news. You will certainly be in my thoughts. Puts thoughts about Audi's in the rear view mirror. I wish you and your family the best with your journey. Duke is a great place.
Thanks Dennis - yes, we're very fortunate to be here at Duke - everyone here is absolutely wonderful and we feel we're getting the best care all around
Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, my sincere thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Our son was born on 8/21/2014 - just a few days before Maxwell. We can only imagine how you feel. We wish you the best and pray that Maxwell will come out on the other side, stronger and healthier than ever - and during the process, you and your family remain strong and positive throughout. Best wishes ... PM me if you feel I can be of any help. Cheers!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by rferni
Mark, my sincere thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Our son was born on 8/21/2014 - just a few days before Maxwell. We can only imagine how you feel. We wish you the best and pray that Maxwell will come out on the other side, stronger and healthier than ever - and during the process, you and your family remain strong and positive throughout. Best wishes ... PM me if you feel I can be of any help. Cheers!
Thank you so much. Congrats on your son's birth and please give him extra hugs tonight and always. These little guys are so amazing and precious.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't yet have kids myself, so I can only imagine what you must be going through. Donated to your cause and hope everything will turn out well. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mark and to your beautiful family - many prayers and may you have the strength to keep the hope; there are many many examples of young children being cured of this horrible disease.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mark, was thinking about you and your family, so I wanted to dig up and bump this post. From your blog, it looks like things are progressing well with Maxwell's treatment. We spent nearly 60 days in the hospital with our son, and I know how exhausting and frustrating that can be. You just want it to be over, and yet you wouldn't have it any other way than to be with your son. Thoughts and prayers for you guys this holiday season!
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good morning, What a cute baby!
I'm paediatrician and I know by experience and in the deep of my heart that babies have a great potential of healing whenever they are surrounded by a loving family with a lot of positive thinking, your family is awsome, and I'm pretty sure once he has his bone marrow transplant, all what you went trough will be just souvenirs, wishing you and your family the best.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks all, here's some updates and photos, cut/paste from various other updates....

UPDATE 12/9/14 - Thanksgiving & Christmas in hospital, starting "Re-Induction" & decorated room

Maxwell is doing well during the last few weeks of treatment in this phase (#2, Induction Intensification). His blood counts have recovered and he's ready to start Phase 3 today. This will run through the end of the month. Then a 50-day Phase 4 will run Jan thru Feb, concluding his in-patient treatment. Then the remainder of 2 years in out-patient.

We spent Thanksgiving in the hospital with a meal prepared/provided by a local church. We thought about doing something at home (my Mom was in town for 3 weeks) but decided best to partake in the hospital meal as that way we could all be together. The meal was delicious.

Maxwell continues to get great care by many nurses. Here are some of the moments we captured:

Recently I've been surprising my wife with decorations for his room. Several were her casual ideas which I then ran with before she knew what hit her The Pièce de resistance is the scratch-made fireplace that I created from random bakery boxes, soda boxes, construction paper, tissue paper, etc. It's really turned his sterile hospital room into a homey place for the holidays. We'll be here for this phase through Christmas, and roughly until March.

Here's Maxwell's fund raising page where you can read more about his story and throw some coins into our wishing well while there if you feel appropriate:

https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...-s-cancer-fund

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Our new son, his health issues, and t-shirts for sale