Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really can not imagine having a Q5 (or any vehicle for that matter) with out a sunroof. The Pano takes the concept to another level.

In my Q5 I really enjoy the way the Pano adds to the feeling of an open expanse. Down the road when a Pano-less Q5 is sold you will almost certainly take a hit is the sale price and likely have a smaller interest buyer segment
Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sn0wman72
Really can not imagine having a Q5 (or any vehicle for that matter) with out a sunroof. The Pano takes the concept to another level.

In my Q5 I really enjoy the way the Pano adds to the feeling of an open expanse. Down the road when a Pano-less Q5 is sold you will almost certainly take a hit is the sale price and likely have a smaller interest buyer segment
Yup, I agree completely..... Since it's a standard feature, removing it actually diminishes resale and makes finding a buyer slightly harder.....

What I love about my Pano is late night driving .... having it open is so refreshing and pair that with your heated seats makes it so perfect....or just looking at the stars and when your near the coast, the fresh air without all the noise from having an open window....aww paradise
Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I decided against the pano for 3 main reasons:

1. I'm worried about wind noise on the highway, since every other car I have owned with a normal moonroof has wind noise unless the shade is closed.

2. I'm worried about sunlight warming up the car during the hot summer months, since we live in the Southeast USA. I never keep my sunshades or moonroof open because of this.

3. Since I might replace the stereo system in the SQ5 like I did in my S6, the sound quality will be much better without all that glass in the roof. Glass reflects more than the headliner will.

The reduced weight and better handling are just added benefits.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a huge fan of sunroof delete. However the Q5 is mrs. elevens car and she wanted it. But now even she says she won't do a sunroof again. The extra noise and heat is just not worth it. If she wants air in her hair, she borrows my daughter's A4 Cab.

Yea I know I'm weird. My RS4 is 1 of only 27 built without a heavy-**** 75-pound hole in the worse possible place I didn't plan on it but I'm willing to bet it will increase resale value on this (performance) platform.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 10-30-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
1. I'm worried about wind noise on the highway, since every other car I have owned with a normal moonroof has wind noise unless the shade is closed.
Most of the main noise I notice is road noise and not so much wind noise. I'm sensitive to noise, but you may be more sensitive in the particular frequencies wind noise occupies.

2. I'm worried about sunlight warming up the car during the hot summer months, since we live in the Southeast USA. I never keep my sunshades or moonroof open because of this.
Haven't had issues here in Central TX, but the extra humidity in FL could potentially make it worse. Anyone with the pano should at least do a light tint just for the heat rejection properties. I've got Pinnacle 50% all around just for that, just gets warm in the direct sun when it's really hot out. Worst heat comes through the windshield.

But, the only thing that really matters is that you're happy and it's worth it to you. Everyone's needs/wants are different, and if I never had anyone in the back seat to really take advantage of the view, then that would reduce the value of it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I didn't plan on it but I'm willing to bet it will increase resale value on this (performance) platform.
There ya' go! That's what I'm talking about. Perhaps all regular Q's should have the pano.
The SQ5, however, is a performance platform where it's deletion is a matter of taste and desired performance.
I can see why a regular Q's resale value might suffer from not having the pano, but if I were in the market for a used SQ5, that's one box I would uncheck in the search engine.
Thanks for helping clarify that, ||'s.