Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!

Hey All,

I am hoping to order a SQ5 and I am debating the merits of the Pana sunroof...I was told that there were some issues in the past with noise that was addressed but there is still the weight. My wife who will drive the vehicle a good chunk of the time (when we are not out as a family with the little one) seems to like the option but says if there are reasons not to get it then she does not mind going without it. I am undecided as I have never been in any variant of the Q5 without a Pana sunroof.

Would you all mind sharing your thoughts and experiences with and without it? Thank you for your time!

Cheers,

Blu
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Speaking from a family perspective - my kids and their friends LOVE the pano roof!!!. It is huge and just gives the greatest vantage point (even at night). As far as noise I never experienced any creaks from the sunroof. The Pano sunroof is the one thing that really distinguishes the Q5 from the other SUVs out there.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll recap what I've read to date, but others will chime in and searching might get you into the more detailed threads.

Cons: heavy so impacts performance/agility/fuel economy, raises the car's center of gravity, some people have had issues with rattles and other quality issues, w/o tint it's a source of elevated heat in hot climates, tall people have mentioned more headroom without it...

Pros (you can infer which route I chose): it's a big *** sunroof that feels great when it's open and makes the car seem more open even when it's not...
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a sunroof fan but the car just seems naked without it. I am sure resale will suffer so I got it.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all! I appreciate it. My dream would be lower with the euro OE suspension with the hopes that I could still tow down the road and one day chip the thing but for starters I think I will try and enjoy the car as is and work on the other items like sorting out winters on some wheels so I am ready for when it comes!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

The no sunroof = more headroom puzzles me. During our test drive, our sales adviser is 6'8" and he was tipping his head towards the sunroof which gave him an extra inch or so.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Very happy without the pano roof. No rattles, better handling and quieter. If I need open air motoring, I will use our cab, one of two motorcycles or an open race boat. Does the lawn tractor count? Everyone does what's best for them.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do the Pano delete is there no sunroof at all or do you get the normal sunroof (as you would get on a B8 series sedan)?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
If you do the Pano delete is there no sunroof at all or do you get the normal sunroof (as you would get on a B8 series sedan)?
Model Q5 has only Panoramic glass roof

Old 05-30-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the pano roof and it's usually one of the first things people comment on when they ride in my Q5...especially if they're in the back seat. My friend ordered his with out the pano and he's happy without it. To each his own!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!