Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abcabc
I love the pano roof and it's usually one of the first things people comment on when they ride in my Q5...especially if they're in the back seat. My friend ordered his with out the pano and he's happy without it. To each his own!
Amen. This has been beaten to death and I doubt if anyone is going to change his or her opinion on the matter.

It's great that there is a choice to satisfy any buyer.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of the people buying Q5's won't be able to tell the difference in performance with or without the pano roof. If you plan on tracking or racing the Q5 then delete away, but then again why would you get an SUV/CUV for that in the first place.

My kids love staring out the pano roof (especially on a clear night)...I'd rather have them daydreaming than playing on their electronics in the car anyways. I have no regrets about the pano whereas, if I didn't have it I'd probably regret not getting it unless it was my dedicated track car and I was driving it at it's limits.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

To each his own and I do understand the dilemma especially in AZ where it would bake the car even with the sunshade.
If you are really going to track the car then you might want to drive a Macon (I know this is an Audi forum), it was impressive for that purpose.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote is for the Pano Roof.

It opens up the car, adds more natural light and make it seem more spacious and less claustrophobic.

The resale value will take a slight ding.

If it was something you could get money back for then maybe, but you are removing a feature for no money!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The first pano roof I had was great ... for a while. But it always seems to be too hot and or too bright to really use it much. Throw in some allergy sufferers, and it rarely got used after the honeymoon period. Knowing we wouldn't use it much, or maybe at all, we wanted to delete it from the Q5, but we were disappointed there was no cost deduct. We basically took it for resale value. We haven't had any problems with it, but we also don't use it. I would like it if the roof was a standalone option on all trim levels. At the very minimum, the deduct should come with some sort of credit.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW...I have <I>always</I> gone for no sunroof nor convertible for lightest weight and best handling on my cars, but despite my plans for Stage2 Tune and other mods on the Q5, this is still my daily driver SUV secondary family car (I personally like that all 6 of us can't fit in it - forces most of the abuse onto the other, larger beast...but I digress).

Anyway, I will never track this car even if capable of tuned mid 12 second 1/4 miles. Thus, the pano roof stays for purely non-performance reasons, and I will be OK with that decision Maybe I'm getting old, and mileage may vary and all that stuff, but for me, it adds a bit of nice "fluff" in the only vehicle I've owned where I'm not wringing out every ounce of performance.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

The difference between a Pano Q5 and non-Pano Q5 at the track is the driver. Both are driving the wrong car
Old 06-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The pano is one of my favorite features. Passengers love that thing. Every time I open the shade with people in the car their reaction is priceless. So far no rattles.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my pano! I live in Southern California and it is a great option to have. No issues with noise for me.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love it and I think it adds an added luxury element to the Q5. I have a black leather interior and was just in Vegas, but I really didn't notice any added heat inside from it. It was 107F so in my opinion the heat factor with it isn't an issue. Also, the pano roof makes star gazing or other gazing like, the Las Vegas strip light gazing that much better.

Plus, it helps reassure me when it comes to clearance in parking garages.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!