Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenonista
This is what would make sense:

When the seat sensor detects a minimum weight, activate the airbag.
The driver can manually disable the airbag for various situations, like a piece of furniture, or a bag, or a dog crate, in the seat.
Whenever the auto activation is overridden (whether the seat is empty or not), light the indicator.

From my reading of the regulations above, this should be perfectly in line with the requirements.

I suspect Audi's decision to have it reflect to auto activation rather than override is based a desire to be able to visually confirm that the airbag is enabled with a passenger in the seat and make it less likely a car is driven around for an extended period with a defective seat sensor. (And hence a disabled pass. airbag.)
Prior to 1998 (?), the law would only permit a shop to disable an airbag with a swtch if the owner applied for an exemption to the NHTSA. Now, any shop can install one or disable the airbag but there is still a requirement that the manufacturer include airbags to be activated full time from the factory when the front seat driver or passenger are each present - only the owner can decide to add a switch or disable an air bag. The annoying light, however, is another story as permitted by regulation. IMO, the light should have been an alert only if the airbag was not working properly. But hey, it is what it is.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default You need the VCDS to recode a "battery" replacement

Originally Posted by Ganny
I'm still perplexed how this design issue could be deemed acceptable by anyone. If Audi does not disclose to buyers (before the purchase) that they will be unable to perform routine service without a trip to an Audi dealer (along with written proof of service) to reset the service light, then in those cases Audi should provide owners the necessary equipment or fix the design defect.
so something so simple as putting in a new vehicle battery now requires the VCDS to reoode the new battery data (BEM code) for the Audi power manangement system to work properly.

Many DIY tasks will require a VCDS.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhughett
However we did find ways of using the OBC to reset the intervals on these newer cars.
So are you saying that new BMWs do not require any equipment to reset intervals? If so, then new BMWs do not have this same design defect as new Audis.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
so something so simple as putting in a new vehicle battery now requires the VCDS to reoode the new battery data (BEM code) for the Audi power manangement system to work properly.

Many DIY tasks will require a VCDS.
This further reinforces my defect argument.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I understand the the VCDS is third-party equipment (not Audi equipment). The computer or phone needed to run the VCDS would also have to be third-party equipment (not Audi equipment). Therefore, in order to own and maintain an Audi, you have to purchase specialized third-party equipment, but there is no guarantee that such third-party equipment will continue to be available since the manufacturer of such equipment is free to discontinue it any time for any reason. Hypothethecially speaking, what would an Audi owner do if that happens?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Gannym you've called this a "defect" once again.

So I'll ask you once again, how in Hades do you define this as a "defect" ?

I can't see how any definition of "defect" applies to the behavior of the reminders in the car.

Please, do enlightmen me. Surely I'm not the only one who can't find any "defect" here.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Gannym you've called this a "defect" once again.

So I'll ask you once again, how in Hades do you define this as a "defect" ?

I can't see how any definition of "defect" applies to the behavior of the reminders in the car.

Please, do enlightmen me. Surely I'm not the only one who can't find any "defect" here.

Ok, let me enlighten! A "design defect" exists when a defect is inherent in the design of the product itself. Here, not being able to perform basic maintenance (e.g., change oil, replace battery, replace brake pads, etc.) without specialized third-party equipment, when it could have easily been designed so as to not require that specialized third-party equipment (like other vehicles, including BMWs), is a design defect.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I understand the the VCDS is third-party equipment (not Audi equipment). The computer or phone needed to run the VCDS would also have to be third-party equipment (not Audi equipment). Therefore, in order to own and maintain an Audi, you have to purchase specialized third-party equipment, but there is no guarantee that such third-party equipment will continue to be available since the manufacturer of such equipment is free to discontinue it any time for any reason. Hypothethecially speaking, what would an Audi owner do if that happens?
The solution is simple. Buy original equipment for VW group (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) called VAS5054 or a new version of ODIS v2 ...

So are you saying that new BMW do not require any equipment to reset intervals? If so, then new BMWs do not have this same design defect as new Audis.
"Design defect"

Best solution for you - buy a BMW which is without design defect

I do not understand what you really want.

You're buying a car based on whether you can permanently disable the "Service Due" light or because how looks a car, ride quality, workmanship, reliability

Last edited by spijun; 04-09-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

No one is required to buy a VCDS cable or own a PC laptop unless they need them for certain DIY repairs as would be any specialized tool required to compete a job (or would like to do mods).. Anyone who does their own repairs knows there's an investment to be made to service their car. Tools, jack stands, etc. The VCDS cable is just another tool for Audis and VWs.

While it's true there's no guarantee that any company would not go out of business, Ross-Tech has been around for many years and provides cable upgrade paths and software/firmware updates. If the cable or software becomes outmoded with a new car or to accommodate evolving computer operating systems, they support it. Really not much different if one was to worry that Audi, Apple, Google or any other company would go out of business.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Ganny is sort of right on this subject.

Ok, let me enlighten! A "design defect" exists when a defect is inherent in the design of the product itself. Here, not being able to perform basic maintenance (e.g., change oil, replace battery, replace brake pads, etc.) without specialized third-party equipment, when it could have easily been designed so as to not require that specialized third-party equipment (like other vehicles, including BMWs), is a design defect.
Spijun has stated, and I have heard this from some good dealer sources, that the VW/Audi group with new vehicles coming out is going to lock out any non-dealer VCDS type adjustments from taking place. The vehicle will be required to be hook to the VW/Audi corporate computer server to open up access to change/adjust coding such as mods, service reminders, retracting rear brake pads, battery change, etc. I know that the indie shops in the US will cause a big stink about this and will most likley prevent it from happening, but it still can... Audi can make access so nasty that even Ross-Tech won't have a work around.

Quick Reply: Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light