Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Phone/Bluetooth question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phone/Bluetooth question

Ok, so I am having the exact same issue with my new '15 SQ5 (with the new MMI) as I had for years with my '11 Q5 regarding phone/Bluetooth.

Any help would be appreciated, because I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong and 2 vehicles with 2 different MMIs can't be a fluke.

Here are the details of phones:

11 Q5 had both Android, and iPhone 5S in use on it
15 SQ5 has had iPhone 5S and iPhone 6.

All software is up to date.

Bluetooth connect has been fine.
Making and receiving calls has been fine.
Functions from steering wheel and MMI have been fine.

If I'm on a call, and a third caller beeps in, the MMI brings up the "ignore" or "switch calls" options. I choose to switch calls. Which should place first call on hold, and switch to second caller. Then go back to original caller after hanging up with first one.

But (and this has happened from day 1 with both vehicles, and throughout all cell phones) when I chose to switch to the incoming caller on the MMI display, the MMI ends both calls.

What the holy hell is going on? Does anyone else have any experiences like this, or have I just gotten 2 MMI lemons?!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same for me...

... you can see the list of Audi's I have owned before, all have done the same thing (iPhone 4, 5, & 6). Drives me nuts, so I just ignore incoming or if the phone is on the seat, I can do it manually from the phone. I assume its The Great Master of Vorsprung telling me to stop with the cell phones, already!

Eric
Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"or "switch calls" options. I choose to switch calls. Which should place first call on hold, and switch to second caller."

That's an assumption. A reasonable one, but it is not what the car is offering to do.

I'd stop in to the dealer, or call Audi's "You got questions, we've got no answers" support line to see what they SAY is proper. And if they say it should be able to put the first call on hold and pick it back up...tell 'em to start ordering parts. Chevy or Ford parts, where the phones work without backtalk.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well at least I'm not alone in my crazy.

I always thought it was a glitch in the old MMI.

Thought for sure it would be fixed with the new version.
Guess I was wrong.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, according to the MMI manual, it is suppose to

accept incoming call and place the first call on hold. Hell, it even lets you juggle 3 calls at the same time.

The note at the very end says you must have your call waiting function on your cell phone switched on. Not sure why that would be off ever on an iPhone or where that is even. But it states it may end the call which is what is happening.

Page 36/37 of the SQ5 MMI manual USA.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It seems after some additional research it may be a carrier issue.
I looked into the "you need to turn on call waiting on your phone" thing.

So I googled how to do that on an iPhone.
It's under SETTINGS>PHONE>CALL WAITING
with a toggle for on/off

Only my iPhone has no CALL WAITING toggle. It's not there at all.
I have Sprint.

I googled this and it seems Sprint and Verizon customers both are having similar issues. And they complain, and are told customer support has to turn that on or off for you. That just makes no sense.

Why would an iPhone function not be found on an iPhone?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Carrier thing:
I know that some carriers, particularly "discount" carriers with "unlimited" calling, will limit the amount of calling by disabling three-way calling and perhaps call waiting holds as well.
I had asked Simply Wireless about this once, and they said no, they don't have three-way calling. You have unlimited minutes--but not to two people at once.

Never had had any prompt or choice to enable/disable call waiting on my cell phones though.

FWIW.

It would be simple enough to get a phone from another carrier connected to that car and see if changing the carrier fixed the problem.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

I have AT&T on my iPhone 5s, I have call waiting activated by the carrier and I have the "Call Waiting" setting visible and selected on my phone. The MMI call switching works as expected. It must be a carrier thing. I'm guessing If call waiting is available and activated by the carrier, the selection would be automatically available in the phone settings.