Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Photos of Q5 Tinted

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
The windshield is 75%.
Above AS-1 is 25%, beneath AS-1 is still not legal as far as I can tell (other than UV-only films -- even if you get a medical exemption it still only allows a 5% VLT drop). Of course whether you get caught is another matter.

DPS summary: TxDPS - VI Window Tint Program

Texas Administrative Code: : Texas Administrative Code (see section (c)(2))
Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you'll read a little further down, to #5 of the Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Rule 21.1:

5. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required. There should be no visible light transmittance below 70% for the combination of film and original glass on the front windshield of vehicles.

The Crystaline is a UV blocking tint. It is only slightly darker than the windshield itself. The only way you can even tell it's there is by looking at the naked glass between the safety and registration stickers.

They provided a document stating that the tint is legal, which is highlighted by their attorneys and is proof to whoever does the inspection without the proper equipment.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know the tint spec of the OEM privacy glass for sure?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
If you'll read a little further down, to #5 of the Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Rule 21.1:

5. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required. There should be no visible light transmittance below 70% for the combination of film and original glass on the front windshield of vehicles.

The Crystaline is a UV blocking tint. It is only slightly darker than the windshield itself. The only way you can even tell it's there is by looking at the naked glass between the safety and registration stickers.

They provided a document stating that the tint is legal, which is highlighted by their attorneys and is proof to whoever does the inspection without the proper equipment.
I'm aware of the "untinted UV film" clause, though 70% isn't particularly "untinted" (and you'd need to be concerned with the interplay between the film's VLT and your windshield's native VLT), and when I was trying to research prior to my own tinting, I couldn't find anything to support that any film is actually legal (as even UV films are listed as high-VLT). Couldn't get any responses to my inquiries into the Code, either, but that's not surprising for government. They really need to clean up the Code to be more specific on what is allowed and what isn't as there's too much leeway either way in how it currently reads.

Did they meter your windshield to ensure your actual VLT? And will any tickets you end up with be paid if the court doesn't accept the documentation? (Honest question, I would hope they'd put their money where their mouth is if they're sure their solution is legal rather than putting customers on the hook and hoping that nobody gets caught.)

Originally Posted by cobrar97
Does anyone know the tint spec of the OEM privacy glass for sure?
It might vary, but my rears metered at 29% when I went in to get tinted. Sunroof looked darker, but didn't ask if they were able to meter it.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

So if you want to darken the rear...how do you figure the final result of adding another layer of tint. Assuming the factory tint is 30% VLT. If you add 50% VLT film to it, does that give you a 15% VLT total since you that added film of 50% is reducing the already 30% VLT in half...give you 15% VLT in the end. Is that correct?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by userbbc
f1 pinnacle 40 (43% VLT) - pretty happy with it so far. Color is a little on the cool side. IIRC, the Huper Optik 40's I had on my previous q5 were a little warmer (brownish) in color. According to the installer (Art of Tint in Brooklyn) the f1 pinnacle 35's (39% VLT) match the privacy glass exactly.

So that's saying the factory tint is probably 40% VLT?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if you want to darken the rear...how do you figure the final result of adding another layer of tint. Assuming the factory tint is 30% VLT. If you add 50% VLT film to it, does that give you a 15% VLT total since you that added film of 50% is reducing the already 30% VLT in half...give you 15% VLT in the end. Is that correct?
A good shop can meter what the final percentage will be with tint film and factory tint figured in.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Did they meter your windshield to ensure your actual VLT? And will any tickets you end up with be paid if the court doesn't accept the documentation? (Honest question, I would hope they'd put their money where their mouth is if they're sure their solution is legal rather than putting customers on the hook and hoping that nobody gets caught.)
First, my Toyota glass is darker (though not the windshield), and as many times as I've been stopped by the popo, not once was anything ever mentioned about my tint.
Second, I am off the hook for anything related to tint issues. I have a written guarantee on that. Ticket, failed inspection, whatever...they got it covered.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So that's saying the factory tint is probably 40% VLT?
The installer was saying the f1 pinnacle 35's (39%vlt per the f1 site) match the rears per previous q5 installations they did but not sure if they actually metered the VLT's. I opted for the lighter tint hoping the slight differentiation would standout since NJ doesn't allow tint on the front windows. May be worthwhile calling your installer for recommendations - art of tint seemed fairly knowledgeable calling out differentiations in color between a greenish hue tiguan vs. the more charcoal q5's.

Total VLT is different though. iirc, there is about 7% reduction built into the oem windows. So total VLT on the rears may be about 32% or so.