Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

q5 windsheild wipers pull water back across windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q5 windsheild wipers pull water back across windsheild

I have a 2011 Q5 (Australia) and have had issues with the wiper blades dragging water back across my line of sight after wiping it away. In some driving conditions it is so bad that I cannot see out the windscreen which freaks me out. I now avoid driving my Q5 in the rain???? I brought this issue to the service team after putting up with it for around a year (it doesn't rain everyday in QLD and I wanted to make sure it was a continual issue and not a sporadic one). They suggested replacing the blades would fix the issue of water being dragged back (my cost @ $150). This did nothing to fix the problem. Took an Audi tech for a drive in the rain and he witnessed the issue and they decided to replace the entire wiper arm on the driver side. This also failed to fix the issue. I had my daughter take video image whilst driving in the rain one day and sent it into Audi. In the video the water was being dragged back to about the middle of my steering wheel. Audi did some investigating of their own and now tell me that it is characteristic of the Q5 model for water to be dragged back a couple of inches due to the new Aero blades and that this is normal???? WTF... not being able to see out of your windscreen when its raining because your windscreen wipers pull water across your line of sight is NOT NORMAL.
Any other Q5 drivers experience this???
Old 10-02-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deestar
I have a 2011 Q5 (Australia) and have had issues with the wiper blades dragging water back across my line of sight after wiping it away. In some driving conditions it is so bad that I cannot see out the windscreen which freaks me out. I now avoid driving my Q5 in the rain???? I brought this issue to the service team after putting up with it for around a year (it doesn't rain everyday in QLD and I wanted to make sure it was a continual issue and not a sporadic one). They suggested replacing the blades would fix the issue of water being dragged back (my cost @ $150). This did nothing to fix the problem. Took an Audi tech for a drive in the rain and he witnessed the issue and they decided to replace the entire wiper arm on the driver side. This also failed to fix the issue. I had my daughter take video image whilst driving in the rain one day and sent it into Audi. In the video the water was being dragged back to about the middle of my steering wheel. Audi did some investigating of their own and now tell me that it is characteristic of the Q5 model for water to be dragged back a couple of inches due to the new Aero blades and that this is normal???? WTF... not being able to see out of your windscreen when its raining because your windscreen wipers pull water across your line of sight is NOT NORMAL.
Any other Q5 drivers experience this???

Hello there, and welcome!

I've only had my Q about a month now, and since then I've driven in the rain about 4 times.
So far, the wiper performance has been as expected for a new car with new wiper blades. (Excellent)

Just a thought:
Is is possible that some sort of water repellent was applied to your windshield and is now wearing off?
I've had bad experiences in the past with water repellents when they're not maintained above 80%... They do really strange things when they're wearing out.

Last edited by JaXeN; 10-02-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do confirm that with contemporary frameless wipers I have the same problem on cars equipped with them, including Q5. It is only a few inches, but problem is indeed there.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OP is in Australia and the driver's seat is at right.
My Q5 is left handed and I've been driving it for almost a year and had no problem. Is there any difference between LH and RH ones except the direction of wiping system ?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe using another windshield treatment might help. I read on the Bimmerfest website that a poster used Optimum Opti-Glass Coating. Anyone ever use it? I will probably apply it when I get my Q5.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've looked on other forums about Audi wiper blades not performing and people talk about a product called Rain X and replacing stock blades with different brands. I will try a windscreen treatment...I will try anything!! Thanks for your replies.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not that I want to make light of your problem... it would certainly upset me also.

But I couldn't help but imagine a German engineer staring into a toilet trying to figure out how the Coriolis Affect could be causing your problem.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5White13
Is there any difference between LH and RH ones except the direction of wiping system ?
The wiper blades for the RHD vehicles are different, different part number.

I tried a set of aftermarket blades (IIRC, Trico) on my A4 earlier this year and noticed this same phenomenon. It bothered me enough that I took the blades off and went back to Bosch a few weeks later. Problem eliminated and I'm sure it has something to do with the design of the aerofoil on the wiper
Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an Audi A5 (US) and I am having the same issue. Since I bought the car in the winter andthe problem did not reveal itself until the spring rains. The dealer and Audi support are all saying it is working as designed. I have a video that shows it, but it is hard to video and drive at the same time. Have a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8fdieupj2...407_181346.mp4
Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BTW, it is a 2014 A5.

Quick Reply: q5 windsheild wipers pull water back across windsheild