Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Piston and Ring replacement or new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston and Ring replacement or new engine

Just a quick question for those that know about cars more than I do since I know nothing

Assuming I soon have to get this done as I've been told it's major work.

Does anyone know if Audi is replacing engines with oil consumption issues, I mean engines with 0 miles, what engine year?

If it's only Pistons and rings, will it affect the car's performance is there a chance of other things going wrong since it's such major work

Anyone who might know?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not quite sure what you're asking. Ring replacement is major work. Everything has to come out to the bare block and rehone the cylinder walls. A highly trained technicians is a must when disassemble and reassemble.

On a side note, back when i purchased a new infiniti g35, there were numerous cases of oil consumption due to rings not seating. After extensive research about baby-ing new cars, i still do what i do when i buy a new car which was drive it hard. Redline it every now and then to get those rings seated properly. Although broken in from factory, things still needs to be seated in. Ever since i owned that car oil consumption was never an issue. Maybe i had the lucky car or whatever but that is how I break in all my new cars. Same goes with the bmw 335i after that. Which was/is another case of oil consumption that I didn't have problems with. I don't condone this to anyone but this is the way i been doing since i been working on cars(15years) building Honda and nissan SR,rb engines.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
Not quite sure what you're asking. Ring replacement is major work. Everything has to come out to the bare block and rehone the cylinder walls. A highly trained technicians is a must when disassemble and reassemble.

On a side note, back when i purchased a new infiniti g35, there were numerous cases of oil consumption due to rings not seating. After extensive research about baby-ing new cars, i still do what i do when i buy a new car which was drive it hard. Redline it every now and then to get those rings seated properly. Although broken in from factory, things still needs to be seated in. Ever since i owned that car oil consumption was never an issue. Maybe i had the lucky car or whatever but that is how I break in all my new cars. Same goes with the bmw 335i after that. Which was/is another case of oil consumption that I didn't have problems with. I don't condone this to anyone but this is the way i been doing since i been working on cars(15years) building Honda and nissan SR,rb engines.
I concur. My wife babied her A1 for 4000 miles and she has been told that she could possibly require new pistons and rings (under warranty of course) as her car drinks a pint every 500 miles. My SQ5 has been given varied driving pressure! Slow, fast and all in between and has just completed 3000 miles with all indications that the oil is still fine.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had pistons & rings done on my wife's former car, a 2011 A4 Avant last Summer. One week after getting the car back, it spun a main engine bearing. I requested a new engine as I didn't want them to pull the entire engine apart again after they no doubt screwed something up during their first attempt. After speaking with their regional rep, they agreed to replace the entire long block (basically the full engine under the intake manifold). The car was nearly four years old at the time so I didn't even attempt to argue for a new engine before they made their first attempt to correct the oil consumption issue. However, if the car was new and they were suggesting a job as large as a piston & ring replacement, I would do my best to argue for at least a new engine if not a replacement vehicle.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IntheQ5

Issue is I bought it used. It's a 2011 . I was told by Audi that it might need new rings and Pistons and quite possible an engine swap
All under warranty because of the class action lawsuit but I'm curious if anyone has had this work done and what engine they get or if only the rings and Pistons is done, are there other issues later because of the reconstruction of the engine again
Hopefully I make sense
Old 03-27-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If they replace the engine, you should get a new one. Anytime you crack open an engine in the way that's required for a ring & piston job (both the top and bottom of the engine have to be pulled apart), you risk problems if the engine isn't assembled properly. A little too much sealant and perhaps they block an oil passage somewhere or maybe they don't properly torque all of the internals, who knows. The service center at your local dealer most certainly isn't the same as the environment that the engine was originally assembled in. I know many have had the ring & piston job done and have experienced no issues but that wasn't my experience.

When I mentioned that I was having that job done to a friend of mine at the gym who happens to be a mechanic at a local BMW dealer, he said it was a risky job and that when they've had reason to suspect such issues, they usually push BMW for a replacement engine.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another thing you should be aware of is that Audi usually sends these rebuilds out for bid to "Authorized Audi repair centers" and to usually to whom they have the lowest contract with. So for quality you could be dealing with the lowest cost bidder.
My A4 piston/rings/seals and whatever else... rebuild continued to burn oil. This was after being away for almost 3 weeks

Last edited by Hockeymonkey; 03-27-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you know running certain synthetic oil burns more than others. Example from experience: mobile 1 0w40 on the bmw burns 1 quart every 1,000 miles. Switch to Castrol burns no oil. On paper both oils specs is the same with a slight tiny difference on pour point. Don't ask me why.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CharlieG
If they replace the engine, you should get a new one. Anytime you crack open an engine in the way that's required for a ring & piston job (both the top and bottom of the engine have to be pulled apart), you risk problems if the engine isn't assembled properly. A little too much sealant and perhaps they block an oil passage somewhere or maybe they don't properly torque all of the internals, who knows. The service center at your local dealer most certainly isn't the same as the environment that the engine was originally assembled in. I know many have had the ring & piston job done and have experienced no issues but that wasn't my experience.

When I mentioned that I was having that job done to a friend of mine at the gym who happens to be a mechanic at a local BMW dealer, he said it was a risky job and that when they've had reason to suspect such issues, they usually push BMW for a replacement engine.
Replacement vehicle? I wish but not sure how that will happen since I'm not the original owner. I just read lots of posts that say the rings and Pistons did nothing and I know that a new engine is not an easy to get let alone a vehicle.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I misunderstood your original post ... you mentioned zero miles and I assumed you meant your car had zero miles and not a replacement engine with zero miles. Sorry about that.

Quick Reply: Piston and Ring replacement or new engine