Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Plasti-Dip and parking sensors??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
Thanks, vblick, for the first "constructive" comment to my post - appreciate it! Sounds like spraying the sensors might pose an issue :/

To the naysayers - I know this forum is full of opinions (as is the case with all forums, blogs, and other forms of social media), but I asked a question for which I was simply seeking an answer. I was not asking for your opinions. Just as everyone else here (yourselves included) has the right to do what they want with their money and the vehicles they purchase with it, so do I. In the future, unless you have something constructive to add to any thread I might post, please keep your opinions to yourselves.

Thanks!
You're welcome! Seriously though, don't be concerned about spraying the sensors. This stuff comes off easily. I had a lot of similar concerns before I used dip. When done right, it looks really good. It smells like spray paint when it goes on but it dries like a hard rubber. The more coats you put on the stronger it is. If you put enough coats on (4-5) everything will peel right off, you just have to snag a spot to grip it and pull it off. If you don't put enough coats on you can literally rub it off with your fingers or a rag. I had one attempt where I was spraying too far away on my rear spoiler, maybe 20 inches, and the stuff just didn't settle right. I couldn't pull it off or rub it off. I poured some goo gone on it and and wiped it all off after about a minute. The best thing about it is you can always start over with no worries.

These aren't pictures from my car but this is exactly what my car looks like but different rims. I was inspired to dip my car because of this guy.

Name:  DSC_0026-1_zps54c6fb4c.jpg
Views: 3424
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0009_zpse64d9777.jpg
Views: 4886
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  IMG-20130430-01860_zpsbab6a60c.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=spijun;24527614]Different people like different things:

My sentiments, exactly - Thanks, spijun. Appreciate the links as well - AND all the technical assistance you've offered over the years. Your help has been invaluable to us all

All the best!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=vblick;24527649]You're welcome! Seriously though, don't be concerned about spraying the sensors. This stuff comes off easily. I had a lot of similar concerns before I used dip. When done right, it looks really good. It smells like spray paint when it goes on but it dries like a hard rubber. The more coats you put on the stronger it is. If you put enough coats on (4-5) everything will peel right off, you just have to snag a spot to grip it and pull it off. If you don't put enough coats on you can literally rub it off with your fingers or a rag. I had one attempt where I was spraying too far away on my rear spoiler, maybe 20 inches, and the stuff just didn't settle right. I couldn't pull it off or rub it off. I poured some goo gone on it and and wiped it all off after about a minute. The best thing about it is you can always start over with no worries.

Thanks again, vblick. That's kinda what I thought too. I figured, what the heck? - I can give it a shot and just "undo" it if it comes out crappy or I don't like it. Although Plasti-dip looks and smells like spray-paint, the final product is far from it as it's NOT permanent.

Anyway - whatever I end up doing will probably have to wait until Spring since the weather here in the NE is so terrible these days :/