Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

"Play all" SD card music

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Play all" SD card music

I can't find the option to "play all". I have a SD card with 5 folders of mp3 music files. Under settings i have selected Random play.

I want to play music from all 5 folders randomly, but MMI forces me to choose a folder to play from

How do i play music from all 5 folders?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2001
I can't find the option to "play all". I have a SD card with 5 folders of mp3 music files. Under settings i have selected Random play.

I want to play music from all 5 folders randomly, but MMI forces me to choose a folder to play from

Thanks
Not possible. Either put all your files in one folder or use your PC to create a playlist that includes tracks from all folders.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Pete-
Does that just apply to the MMI or upgraded systems?

I know it drove me crazy (short ride) but with the base music system, I did find a way to set the "random play" and "play media"(?) as opposed to a folder so that I *do* actually get random play of all songs, from all folders, on a USB stick.

The system will gladly play anything on my SDHC cards the same way.

But the settings are in two, not just one, places, and there's very little guidance to show any owner how to puzzle out the combination. If I reset things to just play one folder (one album) sequentially, then I have to pull over and puzzle things out all over again.(G)

I've also got a feeling the "random number generator" they use isn't quite so random. In theory, I shouldn't hear repeats more than once every couple of months, but the system seems prejudiced toward some tracks.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Redd
Pete-
Does that just apply to the MMI or upgraded systems?
MMI, sorry.

I know it drove me crazy (short ride) but with the base music system, I did find a way to set the "random play" and "play media"(?) as opposed to a folder so that I *do* actually get random play of all songs, from all folders, on a USB stick.

The system will gladly play anything on my SDHC cards the same way.
Do you recall how you got it to random play the entire SDHC card? I couldn't figure it out, and I thought I saw others posted here that it can't be done.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Vaguely, I set the "console" to "Shuffle" or random repeat, and then spin the dial around to another setting for "entire Media" as opposed to a specific folder, etc.

I'd have to go into the car and check it out, to tell you the correct specifics. (And will "Real Soon Now".(G)

It would be odd (Hello, Odd-dee) if they crippled the MMI system compared to the base system. Which sometimes seems designed for the purpose of chastising some of us for not wanting to pay another three grand for a better stereo "and other stuff package".

I know AoA and the dealer were both clueless on this, it took way too much poking buttons like a blind monkey until I pretty much stumbled on it.

And in a touch or ironic cruelty...I ripped a number of CD's that I originally had LPs and tapes of, so of course was used to listening to "albums". It seems that our friends in the recording industry have decided "track breaks" should be made almost at random, so when it is random playing tracks, I frequently get the end of one track actually cut off--and the intro to another track, actually starting with the END of the previous one.

It isn't easy figuring out some track breaks (check out Pink Floyd's Wall) but I have done that to my old tapes from albums, using Audacity, and an middle-school kid could do a better job than a lot of the commercial studios have done.

A hidden peril to playing random tracks, especially on rock or jazz.

Not so much a problem with the polka music.(VBG)
Old 07-11-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks
I never did find a clean way of doing just that. I ended up importing my SD into the MMI jukebox, viewing by song and selecting Random. Minus the insanely long import time for ~3000 songs, it's worked well
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is annoying and Audi should implement a fix. It's a software fix. Does anyone know if i can submit a feature request to Audi?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Redd
Vaguely, I set the "console" to "Shuffle" or random repeat, and then spin the dial around to another setting for "entire Media" as opposed to a specific folder, etc.
Thanks. I have not seen such options/settings in the MMI.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

This is annoying and Audi should implement a fix. It's a software fix. Does anyone know if i can submit a feature request to Audi?
Of course you can, try, maybe you will succeed
Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by spijun
Of course you can, try, maybe you will succeed
Yes, they may get offended if you try to tell them what capabilities good multimedia software should include.

Quick Reply: "Play all" SD card music