Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The Wee Folk stole my Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default The Wee Folk stole my Key

It was one of those mornings when I almost got an early start on the ToDo list and all those errands that needed the car. Except, my key fob wasn't hanging on the clip it belongs on. And wasn't in the basket under it, with my wallet and pocket stuff. So I tore the place apart for an hour (so much for the early start) even looking behind and under the furniture in case it had slipped down there. Finally gave up and took the spare key.

And the car said "What key?" so I had to remember how to use it manually. How the battery in a key fob goes dead in four years in a tin can on the shelf, not being used, is beyond me. Those 2032 batteries just DON'T go bad that quickly unless something in the fob is active all the time. But...no key in the car either, and somehow, the "fold mirrors up when armed" also reprogrammed itself to not be engaged. (Most curious!). Ran the errands, came home, went looking for something in the night table and...there was the missing key, under several other things, in a place where there is no way in hell I could have put it. Therefore, conclusive proof that evil elves hid the key.

The point being, I really didn't want to spend $400-500 getting a new key, programming it, deleting the old key from the program (in case it really was "out there"), then of course, having it programmed back in when it turned up. Which made me ask "Why can't my damn key learn to come when I call it?" and I realized there's an app for that. Kinda like a think postage stamp, the bluetooth "Tile" sells for $25-35 each, lasts for a year or so, and if you mislay something attached to it? The TILE can be accessed by bluetooth, beep on demand, and if it is near you, the location shown on your phone. If it is really lost, it can show up on any passing TILE users phone, so there's still a shot.

Just thought I'd pass that on, if anyone else finds they have a problem with evil elves. Its either a waste of $35 (the more powerful louder unit) a year, or insurance against a $400? surprise. And if you have a spare key fob...replace the battery every second year, apparently the fob's think the batteries are snack food. Go figure.

The next TILE goes on my forehead. (For those Stooges fans who remember Curly running around saying "I can't find my head! I can't find my head!")
Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

After retrofitting keyless entry and start button (harness + sensors + new comfort unit) I have my key permanently stored in my messenger bag. Before when I had to use the key I had a similar experience.

I remember before bluetooth, in the old times, I was using a fob which responded to a whistle sound. That was fun but not as good as bluetooth signal app finder.

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-28-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the BT is overkill, BUT.
I'm also most curious as to why the spare went dead on the shelf, I can only guess that Audi is using volatile memory in the fob and eating the battery when it shouldn't be. And then again, there's the mystery of why the mirrors no longer folded up automatically--I had to use the car setup functions again to reset that to ON. Surely, that shouldn't reset itself when a fob changes or gets a new battery?? Or is that part of the choices (like seat position) that they store in the fob?

How the key got on the wrong side of the room, in the wrong piece of furniture...

In the 90's I had my car door locks shaved (sealed over, only electric controls) and an infrared remote control wristwatch set up so that if it was pointed at the right part of the dash, the car could unlock. And would lock itself automatically. Whole damned system cost me less than one fob would from Audi, and there were no "man in the middle" attacks to worry about either. I'm thinking now...I could integrate one of the BT tiles right on the dashboard, and take the "beep beep" audio output out as a direct signal for the car to unlock.(G)

Fine German engineering falls somewhat short of the mark left by Yankee Ingenuity. I shouldn't be ABLE to out-do Audi on that kind of thing. Let alone do it better for less.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
I'm also most curious as to why the spare went dead on the shelf, I can only guess that Audi is using volatile memory in the fob and eating the battery when it shouldn't be. And then again, there's the mystery of why the mirrors no longer folded up automatically--I had to use the car setup functions again to reset that to ON. Surely, that shouldn't reset itself when a fob changes or gets a new battery?? Or is that part of the choices (like seat position) that they store in the fob?

How the key got on the wrong side of the room, in the wrong piece of furniture...

In the 90's I had my car door locks shaved (sealed over, only electric controls) and an infrared remote control wristwatch set up so that if it was pointed at the right part of the dash, the car could unlock. And would lock itself automatically. Whole damned system cost me less than one fob would from Audi, and there were no "man in the middle" attacks to worry about either. I'm thinking now...I could integrate one of the BT tiles right on the dashboard, and take the "beep beep" audio output out as a direct signal for the car to unlock.(G)

Fine German engineering falls somewhat short of the mark left by Yankee Ingenuity. I shouldn't be ABLE to out-do Audi on that kind of thing. Let alone do it better for less.
Each key has its own customizations. My keys behave differently because at the time used they were programmed with different settings. My folding mirrors have a radio selection to activate or deactivate (radio concert).
New german technology is now using finger print recognition.

I have 2 Q5 advanced keys since 2009 and one with keyless entry support bought in 2017.

​​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-28-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"New german technology is now using finger print recognition."
Oh, so they've caught up with my ten year old laptop. Which was already mature technology way back then.(G)

Perhaps like the iphone X, they will put a tiny IR projector and camera in the door handle, so it can silently just scan my face in 3D and even in the dark, tell who I am.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As per 3d glasses nvidia technology uses emitters (IR emitters to synchronize shutter speed). I was never fond of that IR technology. I prefer plain 3D polarized glasses and the imax technology

Maybe technologically wireless technology can still be used, but instead of using audi keys, to use a clever wrist watch, or bracelt which have a special button for figerprint / or voice recognition to activate wifi which will unlock the car, , which we can still buy from audi (at the same price as the advanced key) though the difference wrist watch or bracelet have more features or can be worn permanently. Not made yet just some ideas.

Same technology different key.

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-29-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd

The key doesn't know whether it is resting on a shelf for 4 years, or in your pocket and communicating with the MMI system in the car. So it constantly transmits a low level signal to let the car know "I'm here!". The "code" of the signal let's the MMI receiver know whether it's is a paired key, and if so, which one. The MMI system holds the selection data, not the key. Like any device with a battery in it, the recommendation is to remove the battery if the device is being stored for long periods. Most of us always forget to do this, of course. And if we forget to replace the battery in the key fob, the chances that we would forget to change the Tile every 12 months would seem to be high, nein?

As an aside, OEM suppliers design (to the mandate and budget of the car company), engineer and build these components. Regardless of MMI, or iDrive, or COMAND, etc, the core comes from Harman. And Samsung bought Harman several years ago. And they have also bought, and assimilated (nod to the Borg) within the group most of the car audio "brands" as well. JBL, B&O, Bowers and Wilkins, Mark Levinson, Harman Kardon - just names on a grill. It's all Samsung... 저항은 무의미하다

Connected Car! Telematics! Infotainment ! ADAS
Old 09-29-2017, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure if it is mmi. It is the comfort unit 046 which also has a dummy control unit 05 immobilizer. One antenna to the rear for the buttons, + 3 or 4 antennas for keyless entry (I installed 4 one at boot, 2 at rear doors, 1 at center console).

I have radio concert infotainment system with keyless entry and start button and that is not an mmi. (Though it was retrofitted but all original parts, audi did the comfort unit swap and key learning, and I did research, the material acquisition, the retrofit, the activation of keyless entry, VCP or can-connect both can activate keyless entry, note audi dealer cannot activate keyless entry parameter e.g. they do not have svm to activate keyless entry)

The advanced key with keyless entry does that low power continuous on of second antenna. The key without keyless antenna switches off and does not consume any power unless the buttons are utilized.

Keyless entry advanced key 2 antennas
Old Audi Q5 key - 1 antenna (not made any longer since all Q5 now come with keyless Go -start buttonn.

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-29-2017 at 11:41 AM.