Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Playing music via Bluetooth?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing music via Bluetooth?

Without knowing how to cut cables, is there a way to play music thru bluetooth in the MMI?
I have a new Q5 2012 and a iPhone 4S --and play music here and listen to it on the car stereo. I dont want to keep my phone in the glove box, as Siri is so much better than the voice navigation in Audi!

Any help would be appreciated!

Jessica.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Long story short, the MMI in the Q5 does not support stereo Bluetooth (A2DP) profile. Only way to do it is to purchase a A2DP receiver and has bunch of wires in your glovebox.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

when you say better...what are you using it for. Are you referring to navigation through music? I assume you don't mean road navigation...
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

The best solution for listening music buy SD card of 16GB or iPod touch
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by radman2020
when you say better...what are you using it for. Are you referring to navigation through music? I assume you don't mean road navigation...
Yes, my issue is that it's much more unsafe to use the dial/buttons to navigate through music, than simply telling Siri which song/album to play. So ideal would be to be able to control the iphone by voice and play music through it, not Audi's very archaic, unsafe music folder/lists.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, but again, its not ideal--having to download music to a SD card when the iPhone would be more easily and regularly synced.

Also after having spent so much money on a car and a phone, I would think the two should work together seamlessly and not need one more iPod to be added to the mix. It's obvious that Audi has deliberately locked out MP3 streaming, because Siri works well via Bluetooth for voice calling.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JessicaM
Yes, but again, its not ideal--having to download music to a SD card when the iPhone would be more easily and regularly synced.

Also after having spent so much money on a car and a phone, I would think the two should work together seamlessly and not need one more iPod to be added to the mix. It's obvious that Audi has deliberately locked out MP3 streaming, because Siri works well via Bluetooth for voice calling.
Then again media streamming and Siri uses different Bluetooth protocol (A2DP vs. Phone). Audi has either disabled the A2DP capability or just didn't bother to integrate that in their system.

There are other solutions but it does require some leg works.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What if your car doesn't have navigation?

Would this adapter work? Description below:

A2DP Audi Bluetooth Adaptor - non-telephony Unfortunately the J cable is not compatible with MMI 3G. A software solution is in the works but not ETA has been provided by Audi AG. A2DP definition: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile, This profile is designed to transfer 2 channel stereo audio wirelessly from one device to another. The Audi Bluetooth adapter kit includes a USB AMI cable, Bluetooth adapter and Flash drive that contains the software upgraded required to be applied to the MMI system to support this function. Newer cars may already have the updated MMI software. The MMI will determine if an upgraded software is needed. Only for streaming Music, not for Bluetooth telephony. Vehicle must be equipped with Audi Music Interface. Part Number: 4F0 051 510J Description: A2DP Audi Bluetooth Adaptor - non-telephony Models: A4 Avant, A4 Cabriolet, A4 Sedan, A5 Coupe, A6 Avant, Allroad Quattro, A6 Sedan, A8 L, A8, Audi Q7, RS 4, RS 6, S4 Avant, S4 Cabriolet, S4 Sedan, S5 Coupe, S6 Sedan, S8 Sedan Color/Size: Model Year: 2004-2010 Not for vehicles with MMI 3G (Nav+)
Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello All,

Would anyone know if this part 4F0051510J is the right one to have Bluetooth streamed to a MY10 A5.
I would like to connect a Iphone 4 via A2DP,
Found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audi-Blue...item336dbc9337

Not sure however if it will have the right software for the MMI 3G (without navigation) that is in the vehicle..Any idea what I should ask the seller

Would greatly appreciate any advice / information

Cant believe that a car of vehicle such as the A5 does not have it standard. A Subaru WRX and a Toyota Corolla both sub $30K have it as standard not requiring any additional hardware.

Snazzz
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's possible, as both SIRI and your ringtone both bluetooth through the MMI, but I think it would be really poor quality. It's probably a lot easier to get the AUX plugin for the MMI and have a longer cable poking out of the glovebox to reach to your hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Playing music via Bluetooth?