Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Playing music via Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" It's probably a lot easier to get the AUX plugin for the MMI and have a longer cable poking out of the glovebox to reach to your hand."[/QUOTE]

I do have the Cable now, just like the convenience of being able to play something off the phone without plugging it in .
P1$$e$ me off to no end that Toyota drivers and Suburu drivers can do this and I cant.

Snazzz
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Jessica, if you don't have NAV, the adapter below works great. I had it for my '09 A4 Avant (no NAV) and I have tested it in '12 Q5 w/o NAV so I know it will work in my '12 Q5 w/o NAV when it arrives in a month. The only issue, and I don't know if this is on the iPhone end or the adapter, is that you don't get track info on the MMI. Not a big deal for me since I mount the iPhone up at eye level to the right of the steering wheel and control it all from there. Navigon on the iPhone for GPS rocks, BTW, and the turn-by-turn directions stream through the stereo. In fact, anything you can play on the iPhone will stream through the stereo: Pandora, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Originally Posted by S5_08
What if your car doesn't have navigation?

Would this adapter work? Description below:

A2DP Audi Bluetooth Adaptor - non-telephony Unfortunately the J cable is not compatible with MMI 3G. A software solution is in the works but not ETA has been provided by Audi AG. A2DP definition: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile, This profile is designed to transfer 2 channel stereo audio wirelessly from one device to another. The Audi Bluetooth adapter kit includes a USB AMI cable, Bluetooth adapter and Flash drive that contains the software upgraded required to be applied to the MMI system to support this function. Newer cars may already have the updated MMI software. The MMI will determine if an upgraded software is needed. Only for streaming Music, not for Bluetooth telephony. Vehicle must be equipped with Audi Music Interface. Part Number: 4F0 051 510J Description: A2DP Audi Bluetooth Adaptor - non-telephony Models: A4 Avant, A4 Cabriolet, A4 Sedan, A5 Coupe, A6 Avant, Allroad Quattro, A6 Sedan, A8 L, A8, Audi Q7, RS 4, RS 6, S4 Avant, S4 Cabriolet, S4 Sedan, S5 Coupe, S6 Sedan, S8 Sedan Color/Size: Model Year: 2004-2010 Not for vehicles with MMI 3G (Nav+)
Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Playing music via bluetooth

Hi.. I have the same problem before luckily I found the best solution (for me)... The ViseeO Tune2Air!!! Here's video I made on how I setup my tune2air device

http://www.omerkhan.com/2013/12/stre...phone-to-audi/
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snazzz
" It's probably a lot easier to get the AUX plugin for the MMI and have a longer cable poking out of the glovebox to reach to your hand."

I do have the Cable now, just like the convenience of being able to play something off the phone without plugging it in .
P1$$e$ me off to no end that Toyota drivers and Suburu drivers can do this and I cant.

Snazzz[/QUOTE]

I wondered about this - mainly in case I have guest(s) who may want to play music (I'm nice like that!). But the glovebox doesn't have any cutout that would let a cable come out of it, does it? I'm guessing the glovebox probably wouldn't close very well...
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by omersk
Hi.. I have the same problem before luckily I found the best solution (for me)... The ViseeO Tune2Air!!! Here's video I made on how I setup my tune2air device

http://www.omerkhan.com/2013/12/stre...phone-to-audi/
You should share your year and equipment level of the A4 for the members.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

A 2014 with MMI should be able to play just fine off any device that has A2DP. Mine plays just fine off my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, although lack of browsing makes it rather pointless. But a passenger could control it. Or it could loop a playlist or something.

I don't remember exactly how to set it up (it was the first thing I did on pickup), but I seem to remember pairing it separately for A2DP through the MMI Media interface. Either way, my phone shows up as a Source under Media whenever I have it with me in the car.

No special cables or transmitters needed for me.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe I didn't read your question properly, but streaming audio through bluetooth definitely works. Now I haven't tried accessing my playlist or using my MMI console to make changes, but I was definitely able to stream youtube audio from my wife's iPhone 5S to my 2014 SQ5 with MMI Navigation system.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

This subject has been covered in the past, as the older (3G MMI) systems WITH NAVIGATION equipped with 2012 and early Q5s does not provide A2DP Stereo Streaming profile in the hardware. However if your system is not equipped with navigation system, you can purchase an adapter which will allow you to stream bluetooth audio.

Starting with 2013 and later models, the MMI 3G+ system in the Q5s are updated and able to stream Bluetooth stereo audio without hassle.

There are many ways to add Bluetooth stereo audio streaming to the 2012 and older MMI WITH NAV, such as modifying a iPod-to-MMI cable with a dock-connector bluetooth receiver, or using an aux cable plugged into a 3rd party receiver.

So to OP... get an aux cable, then a bluetooth receiver. What you need to worry is the power supply. With modded cable and a dock-connector receiver, the power is supplied by the MMI.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xenonista
A 2014 with MMI should be able to play just fine off any device that has A2DP. Mine plays just fine off my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, although lack of browsing makes it rather pointless. But a passenger could control it. Or it could loop a playlist or something.

I don't remember exactly how to set it up (it was the first thing I did on pickup), but I seem to remember pairing it separately for A2DP through the MMI Media interface. Either way, my phone shows up as a Source under Media whenever I have it with me in the car.

No special cables or transmitters needed for me.
This solution from Audi is a step in the right direction:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...icstream&hl=en

Needs some polish, but it's obvious from this APP that full functionality between phone and the MMI for music playback is very possible in the current gen.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
This solution from Audi is a step in the right direction:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...icstream&hl=en

Needs some polish, but it's obvious from this APP that full functionality between phone and the MMI for music playback is very possible in the current gen.
This app for some reason is not available in the US. Anyone know why?

Quick Reply: Playing music via Bluetooth?