Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Q5 2.0T with only 17000 miles (being very little driven). Oil consumption started all of a sudden at around 12000 miles, at an alarming rate. At the end it was taking about 1qg every 500 miles. No oil leaks.

Went to Audi dealer under warranty (warranty is expiring soon), they kept the car for two days and replaced the PCV with a redesigned part, as well as the crankshaft seal. Had the car back and drove about 500 miles since, the oil level had not changed at all until now. We are scheduled to a visit soon, but the issue seems to have been properly fixed.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

First message...
Bought my Q5 (2.0T 2011) four weeks ago at 79,200 miles. Before finalizing the sale, I took the car to another Audi dealer for inspection. After the inspection, the service manager told me that the car was in great condition but that I should start an oil consumption test as soon as I have the car under my name. They guaranteed me that they would take care of everything under warranty (now extended to 80,000 miles) if I failed part 1 and/or part 2 of the test. I was a little worry of the oil consumption issue based on reading different online posts so I thought that was perfect for me.
So, three weeks ago, I brought the car for part 1 and got a free loaner. They then did the necessary changes, toped off all fluids, and washed the card.
I drove just over 600 miles and the oil light came on last Friday night. I decided to drop by the dealer the next morning. The service manager took my car right away to do the 2nd part of the oil consumption test and gave me a loaner.
On Monday, they call me that I failed the part 2 test and that they will replace the piston and all related parts. I expect the car by tomorrow.
I did not have to pay anything so far for the tests or for the repairs.
I will see tomorrow if the car is done and provide an update.

In summary, car just under 80K, oil consumption of 1 quart per 600 miles. Part 2 changes underway, all covered by Audi.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlouxL
First message...
Bought my Q5 (2.0T 2011) four weeks ago at 79,200 miles. Before finalizing the sale, I took the car to another Audi dealer for inspection. After the inspection, the service manager told me that the car was in great condition but that I should start an oil consumption test as soon as I have the car under my name. They guaranteed me that they would take care of everything under warranty (now extended to 80,000 miles) if I failed part 1 and/or part 2 of the test. I was a little worry of the oil consumption issue based on reading different online posts so I thought that was perfect for me.
So, three weeks ago, I brought the car for part 1 and got a free loaner. They then did the necessary changes, toped off all fluids, and washed the card.
I drove just over 600 miles and the oil light came on last Friday night. I decided to drop by the dealer the next morning. The service manager took my car right away to do the 2nd part of the oil consumption test and gave me a loaner.
On Monday, they call me that I failed the part 2 test and that they will replace the piston and all related parts. I expect the car by tomorrow.
I did not have to pay anything so far for the tests or for the repairs.
I will see tomorrow if the car is done and provide an update.

In summary, car just under 80K, oil consumption of 1 quart per 600 miles. Part 2 changes underway, all covered by Audi.
I have a 2011 2.0 turbo original owner. On Monday I got a class action notice resolution notice (CV13-02529) and Oil Consumption Claim Form in the mail. Back in late October during my regular Audi Care service call (my oil light came on on the drive to the dealer) they performed some tests and replaced some seals. I suspect Audi recognized the oil issue and was being proactive at the time. The oil seal changes were no charge to me.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just bought Audi 2011 Q5

I just bought my Audi Q5, 2011 2.0T

I have driven for 800 miles (Its has 33,500 miles)

I checked the oil level on the screen and it is now 1/4 down. Is that a normal consumption rate? It's my first Audi and my warranty expires February 28 so I want to make sure everything is fine before the warranty runs out
Old 02-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gerson Perez
I just bought my Audi Q5, 2011 2.0T

I have driven for 800 miles (Its has 33,500 miles)

I checked the oil level on the screen and it is now 1/4 down. Is that a normal consumption rate? It's my first Audi and my warranty expires February 28 so I want to make sure everything is fine before the warranty runs out
Based on my experience, the car may have the oil consumption issue if it still has the original factory PCV valve part. You may call the dealer place where the car was serviced, and ask them to check in the records if the named part was already replaced with the new design one.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just got the settlement notification in the mail. I guess I will move forward with this. PITA.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oragex
Based on my experience, the car may have the oil consumption issue if it still has the original factory PCV valve part. You may call the dealer place where the car was serviced, and ask them to check in the records if the named part was already replaced with the new design one.
What is the cost of the test?
Will they do the test even if I don't have a warning light? My mmi meter is a quarter down after driving 800 miles. From reading this thread sounds like it's too much.
I checked the service records and the car has never had anything done aside from all its routine services at the dealer
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gerson Perez
What is the cost of the test?
Will they do the test even if I don't have a warning light? My mmi meter is a quarter down after driving 800 miles. From reading this thread sounds like it's too much.
I checked the service records and the car has never had anything done aside from all its routine services at the dealer
Hi,

we did not had the low level light came on, but we had to constantly refill with oil, and we did mention it to the dealer when it came to the last free maintenance as the car is going out of warranty. They did not do any test, just kept the car and replaced the parts, while we were still under warranty (which is ending now because it's 4 years old). Before the issue started, and after the part was replaced, the car would not take any oil at all, the electronic gauge would show at max all time. So if it takes oil, no matter how much, the issue is there and it will probably aggravate.

As a side note, the PCV part is available on amazon, and I believe it's rather easy to replace for a DIY. I think the part sits just on top of the engine, under the big plastic cover.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

My Audi Q5 is back. Part 2 was completed with new pistons, rings, and all updated parts. Total cost: $0.00. Now, time will tell if the oil consumption issue is gone. My oil consumption was at 1.5 quarts/1000 miles. I believe (not sure) that the criteria to fail part 2 is 0.85 quarts/1000 miles or over.
The cost of part 1 and part 2 of the oil consumption test is free. All parts and labor related to fix the oil consumption issue are free if you fail part 1 and/or part 2.
The warranty for oil consumption issue is now 80,000 miles. I started the part 1 at 79,341 miles.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AlouxL
My Audi Q5 is back. Part 2 was completed with new pistons, rings, and all updated parts. Total cost: $0.00. Now, time will tell if the oil consumption issue is gone. My oil consumption was at 1.5 quarts/1000 miles. I believe (not sure) that the criteria to fail part 2 is 0.85 quarts/1000 miles or over.
The cost of part 1 and part 2 of the oil consumption test is free. All parts and labor related to fix the oil consumption issue are free if you fail part 1 and/or part 2.
The warranty for oil consumption issue is now 80,000 miles. I started the part 1 at 79,341 miles.
Im gonna try and see what the dealer tells me today...if they answer their phone

I had a member PM me and told me to sell the car now...I just got it lol
I hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps