Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Polish vs. wax (vs. both) for new SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polish vs. wax (vs. both) for new SQ5

Just picked up my new SQ5 a couple of weeks ago...absolutely LOVE IT so far. Being the OCD freak that I am, I want to maintain the paint job as best as possible. Just wondering what people recommend in terms of polish vs. wax. I've never really been much of a car detailing connoisseur, but what little research I've done recently suggests to first apply a polish treatment, followed by a wax. With a new car though, the paint is pretty well perfect & I can't really identify any irregularities (i.e. swirls, etc.) that the polish would be intended to fix. Is a polish overkill for this first treatment? Can I simply apply a good quality carnauba wax, or should I do a polish as well? Thanks for any advice.

P.S. - Car is Glacier white metallic (if that matters??)

Cheers,

Al
Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Al, welcome aboard. I'd familiarize myself with "coatings" if you seek the best of the best!

(Our '15 Q5 is Glacier White Met.)

Last edited by uberwgn; 10-06-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not use any polish, expecially the abrasive stuff. Do not use a high speed mechanical buffer, unless you're trying to buff out a scratch. On a new car, use quality clay, then seal your car with Blackfire Wet Diamond (stuff is amazing, you'll thank me later). If you do this once every 4-6 months (depending on where you live), and hand wash regularly, your finish will be flawless for years.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Do not use any polish, expecially the abrasive stuff. Do not use a high speed mechanical buffer, unless you're trying to buff out a scratch. On a new car, use quality clay, then seal your car with Blackfire Wet Diamond (stuff is amazing, you'll thank me later). If you do this once every 4-6 months (depending on where you live), and hand wash regularly, your finish will be flawless for years.
Agree. Polishes, swirl mark removers, glazes, etc. are typically intended for a car old enough to have junk accumulated on the paint -- bee vomit, tree pitch, road tar, etc. There are various "cuts" to polishing pads that are spec'd to take off these items while not removing too much clear coat. If you're doing it right start with a clay bar and these items might not even be necessary afterward.

On a new car, a coat or two of very good wax is highly recommended. I second the Blackfire Wet (Black) Diamond for darker cars -- I use it on my wife's black 911. I stick to good old carnuaba wax for my silver Q. (Any leftover of the black stuff is too visible, and I'm just not that ****.) ;-)

One more note: keep a little kit in your car to take off bird droppings IMMEDIATELY. They will permanently etch your paint. The only flaw in my CPO Q (bought with 36K miles) was etching about the size of a quarter on my hood. No amount of my magic products or technical wizardry was able to remove or even improve it. Oh well, only I know it is there!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with others about using a quality clay bar first. Even though your car is "new", you will be surprised how much a clay bar will pick up since your car has been sitting on a ship, back or a transport, or sitting in a lot exposed to the elements. Claying a few times a year will make waxing a whole lot easier, too.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Agree. Polishes, swirl mark removers, glazes, etc. are typically intended for a car old enough to have junk accumulated on the paint -- bee vomit, tree pitch, road tar, etc. There are various "cuts" to polishing pads that are spec'd to take off these items while not removing too much clear coat. If you're doing it right start with a clay bar and these items might not even be necessary afterward.

On a new car, a coat or two of very good wax is highly recommended. I second the Blackfire Wet (Black) Diamond for darker cars -- I use it on my wife's black 911. I stick to good old carnuaba wax for my silver Q. (Any leftover of the black stuff is too visible, and I'm just not that ****.) ;-)

One more note: keep a little kit in your car to take off bird droppings IMMEDIATELY. They will permanently etch your paint. The only flaw in my CPO Q (bought with 36K miles) was etching about the size of a quarter on my hood. No amount of my magic products or technical wizardry was able to remove or even improve it. Oh well, only I know it is there!
there are many products under the name of Blackfire Wet (Black) Diamond like sealant, wax and paint protection.

what product you recommend for new dark paint. also what is difference between Wax and Sealant?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the great advice guys. Koobah, I assume you probably mean Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection? They have so many products, but this particular one seems to be high on many people's lists. I actually applied a quick high quality carnauba wax the day after I got it...I work at a hospital where there is construction going on, & I was a bit nervous about all the martyr & brick dust floating around (even with the car parked in the hospital open-air parking garage). Would using a clay bar remove that layer of wax before applying the Blackfire sealant, or should I just wait a few more weeks for the wax to "wear off"? I live in Canada (Southwest Ontario), & our winters can be a bit harsh so I think I would prefer a sealant over a wax, especially for the winter months.

Dalancroft, why not simply use the Blackfire product on your Q? Is it actually black in colour? Why do you prefer it only for darker cars (i.e. mine is Glacier white)?

Thanks again for the great advice guys!

Cheers,

Al
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by faithkeep
there are many products under the name of Blackfire Wet (Black) Diamond like sealant, wax and paint protection.

what product you recommend for new dark paint. also what is difference between Wax and Sealant?
@ Zune: yes, this one: BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant

Color of the car does not make any difference, Blackfire is just the brand name and the best stuff I've used, and I've used a lot of stuff that's out there incl Zymol, Zaino, Klasse, Griot's etc. Waxes usually contain natural caranuba, and while very shiny, they don't last too long and have to be reapplied quite often to achieve protection and shine. Sealants are synthetic, easier to apply, and last much longer. More read: Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews
Old 09-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@ Zune: yes, this one: BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant

Color of the car does not make any difference, Blackfire is just the brand name and the best stuff I've used, and I've used a lot of stuff that's out there incl Zymol, Zaino, Klasse, Griot's etc. Waxes usually contain natural caranuba, and while very shiny, they don't last too long and have to be reapplied quite often to achieve protection and shine. Sealants are synthetic, easier to apply, and last much longer. More read: Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews
thanks
Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum coating w/2 coats of EXO installed on my SQ5. It looks flawless. Even though you have a new vehicle, if you get a paint coating, they will still do a color correction prior to installing the coating. Your paint will be perfect and super easy to maintain.

I even had the Gtechniq coatings placed on my wheels, exterior plastic & rubber, the windows, and interior leather. Keeping my SQ5 super clean inside and out is easy peasy now.

You can click the link in my signature for pics.

Last edited by Dustin Fennell; 09-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Polish vs. wax (vs. both) for new SQ5