Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pondering SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masemoto
If you are referring to the plug, yes it should fit any 2 inch receiver. Part # is ZAW 092 702 A and you can find them on ebay, your dealer or various other online Audi parts stores for about $20.

As far as the valence cover I think it depends on the year of your Q. Earlier models didn't come with a removable panel for hitch access so the actual bumper/valence was cut.
If your Q is a later model (which it appears to be) with the removable panel then should have received it with the car and then it is just a matter of cutting out a hole for the receiver to poke through and a couple of screws to reattach. But you are right depending on how your rack mounts you may not be able to have the panel and rack on at the same time. Not a lot of room between the cover and the pin hole in the hitch. Have yet to put my rack on so can't confirm 100%.
I was talking about the Valence. Mine didn't come with it and it's a 2015 TDI.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I would ask your dealer. The Q's I looked at with hitches had the cover in the trunk with the roof bars as did mine when I picked it up. I'd seen threads before on the topic so I knew I was going to cut it and put it on so I had it on my checklist when picking it up my Q. Easy to miss if you don't think about about it or care at the time. The only thing I missed were the two screws to attach it but those where 70c each (sales guy gave the run around on getting them for me but oh well, 5 mins in the parts dept. solved the problem). I think the covers run $80+ if your dealer won't cooperate and want to get it yourself.

Last edited by masemoto; 05-28-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also the panel opening must be cut larger than PDawg has it if you have any intention of using the electrical connector or want to use a locking hitch pin, most likely a yes if you want to keep your bike rack.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your gonna get 20" wheels you might as well get the Q5 3.0T and save 10k. It's the same engine, and you can tune it if you want to go faster.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can fit a ball hitch no problem. Typical for hitches in the US you just need one of these >> Curt/7500 lbs. GTW 2 in. receiver tube loaded ball mount 45036 at AutoZone.com
Thanks for the info but my hitch is a ball type straight from the factory. It can be stowed away and the panel put back on to hide it all but I also use my bike rack a lot and was wondering if I dremeled the panel and left the ball hitch exposed permanently, if there was some sort of Audi emblem to cover the ball. I'll have to look into it! Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I heard some folks were missing this that had the factory...err port installed hitch, so I made sure my sales guy reminded the guys doing the hitch to leave the cover in the trunk.

Here's my cutout on the TDI....
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by q5 dave
If your gonna get 20" wheels you might as well get the Q5 3.0T and save 10k. It's the same engine, and you can tune it if you want to go faster.
There is a lot more to the SQ5 than just a tune. That $10k actually gets you quite a bit of performance and fancy upgrades plus you get to keep your warranty.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dadizon
I heard some folks were missing this that had the factory...err port installed hitch, so I made sure my sales guy reminded the guys doing the hitch to leave the cover in the trunk.

Here's my cutout on the TDI....
Well now I have to have that. I just text my dealer.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would ask your dealer. The Q's I looked at with hitches had the cover in the trunk with the roof bars as did mine when I picked it up. I'd seen threads before on the topic so I knew I was going to cut it and put it on so I had it on my checklist when picking it up my Q. Easy to miss if you don't think about about it or care at the time. The only thing I missed were the two screws to attach it but those where 70c each (sales guy gave the run around on getting them for me but oh well, 5 mins in the parts dept. solved the problem). I think the covers run $80+ if your dealer won't cooperate and want to get it yourself.
Oh...I will get him to cooperate and get my valence.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Not sure about SQ5, but if you order a Q5 with the towing pkg, the car also comes equipped with an additional transmission cooler. Are you saying this cooler is also installed at the port?
Honestly I've never looked at the Audi Order Guide for the Q5, so I'm not sure what happens with them. But the order guide for the SQ5 just mentions the hitch with no mention of trans cooler. The hitch is really the only port installed option, unless you count the Supercharged badges and the wheel locks. I always figured it was port installed because we use different style hitches in the NA market.

I know they did something different from the factory with the 1st gen Q7 and the hitch which gives it a different tow rating, I believe it was a trans and oil cooler IIRC. But I hadn't heard anything about the Q5, not that I was looking for it though.

Quick Reply: Pondering SQ5