Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Post facelift European Spec Tail Lights Coding for Q5 & Part Numbers:

Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good deal.....brightness?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I should have been more descriptive, do the ambers seem a bit dimmer? I do notice the reflector is somewhat directional (kind of cuts off at eye level), and I was checking at dusk, so that could be contributing to it. Plus I'm OCD.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With Ambers there is less light as the brake lights are also not blinking with them. Good observation.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTG
With Ambers there is less light as the brake lights are also not blinking with them. Good observation.
Makes sense. Hopefully people don't miss seeing them. I'd like to not get rear ended. lol
Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JayCar
Makes sense. Hopefully people don't miss seeing them. I'd like to not get rear ended. lol
When you are behind the car they are perfectly visible.

Given the fact that these are the lights used pretty much anywhere in the world besides US & Canada, I think we will be fine
Old 04-13-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTG
When you are behind the car they are perfectly visible.

Given the fact that these are the lights used pretty much anywhere in the world besides US & Canada, I think we will be fine

I figured as much. I can tell there at an angle with the reflector and direction. It looks like they're "aimed" directly behind. Again, just an observation from someone OCD. :-)

I really like the look though.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to take the plunge

First, thank you all very much for posting all this wonderful info about installing the Euro tail lights.

This is something I have been looking at for a long time, and there are a handful of posts around that talk about the pieces to do it. This is about the most complete version of all that info that seems to be around.

The big thing that was preventing me from doing this change, was the VAG-COM system. Looked like I needed a software and hardware package costing about $600 to do this one thing, which would be so wasteful I could not justify the cost.

However, looks like there are some cheaper options out there for doing the programming which is much more palatable.

I am looking for the tail light assemblies now. I remember them being cheaper as well, but new OEM lights look to be about $600-700. I might have been thinking of non-OEM copies which are about $200 cheaper. I looked on ebay and only ones I found that were cheaper than just buying them from a parts dealer, was if they were used, and I did not want to risk getting something broken off ebay.

So now I believe I found a place to sell the tail light assemblies. I am just sending a note to them to make SURE they are the correct part numbers. The site does everything but list the part numbers so just want to be cautious.

So thanks again for to all that contributed so much to this thread!
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

I have updated the codes on my original post as some of the features like alley parking light (when you turn the turn signal salk right or left position) were not working with the old codes.

Proper codes now have been added.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

TTG you are the man.

I just received my VCG cable today and the new lights are on the way. The main thing holding me back was the coding, and you providing that was awesome.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

My tail lights arrived yesterday. Hopefully have time this weekend to pull off the old lighting assembly and put in the new. Also bought the plug housing so I don't have to pull the old ones off the US tail lights. Want to be able to sell them as complete assemblies on Ebay when I am done. And at a couple of dollars apiece, it is worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post facelift European Spec Tail Lights Coding for Q5 & Part Numbers: