Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Powered Subwoffer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default No joke on the explosive fuseable link...

Originally Posted by Redd
"Plus there is an explosive battery disconnect device attached to the battery so you don't want to play with that."
Bob, PLEASE tell me that's my kind of joke, that there really aren't explosive bolts in my car. Or explosive guillotine cutters on the power cables. PLEASE. It is unsettling enough having Herr Doktor Strangelove as my chauffeur but I didn't give him permission to go weapons hot at any time for any reason.

To the OP, if there's no deep bass coming out of the "radio", adding a better, or amplified, subwoofer won't create any. You can make what's there louder, but you can't restore tones the radio isn't producing. Sad lack of bass in the stock radio, sad joke to use a subwoofer at all when there's so little bass.
If you ever have an accident where it triggers the seatblet pretensioners, no airbag deployment required, the battery explosive fuseable link will activate to disconnect all battery power. Dealers don't usually stock these as there are laws about when an where explosive devices can be stored.

Check the posts from a month or so ago, a poster had a minor accident, and couldn't restart the car to move it to the side of the road, the link activated and disconnected the battery.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ser968
Well, I decided to buy an 8" powered sub in a small enclosure and I will be installing it this coming weekend. If it doesn't help, I will send it back (I love those money-back guarantees!) and go the other route of installing a separate amp and sub. I will let everyone know of the results after installation.
Let me know how it works out. I almost bought a powered sub. The setup I have took a little extra time, but it fits perfectly and the improvement in the bass is phenomenal.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob, there's a longstanding not-so-joke questioning the merits of buying a complex machine built by a former Axis Power that contains eleven explosive devices. Meaning, the typical high-end Japanese or German car infested with airbags and pretensioners.

One can understand that. And, of course, that Mercedes (supposedly) chose to use explosive bolts to blow off the doors on the new gull-wing, in case it is inverted. Or, that the roll bars on some coupes use explosives to deploy in case of similar inversions.

But honestly, they're gonna put explosive bolts on my BATTERY without TELLING ME ABOUT IT ?!

That's real nice. If I go into a ditch, a canal, through a guardrail, at night that ensures I'll never be seen or found until the morning. As Her Imperial Britannic Majesty once said "We are not amused."

Bob, are those right at the battery terminals then? Or buried in the power cables, somewhere under the floor materials?

Time to pull up the load floor and get out the cable crimpers, I guess. Forget about explosive storage, there are probably laws against selling someone a product that's using explosives--without telling them about it.

At least HAL was polite enough to tell Dave that he couldn't open the pod bay doors. My damn car won't say a word to me, it denies all knowledge of any explosives onboard.

Last edited by Redd; 03-31-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default It's at the battery......

Bob, there's a longstanding not-so-joke questioning the merits of buying a complex machine built by a former Axis Power that contains eleven explosive devices. Meaning, the typical high-end Japanese or German car infested with airbags and pretensioners.

One can understand that. And, of course, that Mercedes (supposedly) chose to use explosive bolts to blow off the doors on the new gull-wing, in case it is inverted. Or, that the roll bars on some coupes use explosives to deploy in case of similar inversions.

But honestly, they're gonna put explosive bolts on my BATTERY without TELLING ME ABOUT IT ?!

That's real nice. If I go into a ditch, a canal, through a guardrail, at night that ensures I'll never be seen or found until the morning. As Her Imperial Britannic Majesty once said "We are not amused."

Bob, are those right at the battery terminals then? Or buried in the power cables, somewhere under the floor materials?

Time to pull up the load floor and get out the cable crimpers, I guess. Forget about explosive storage, there are probably laws against selling someone a product that's using explosives--without telling them about it.

At least HAL was polite enough to tell Dave that he couldn't open the pod bay doors. My damn car won't say a word to me, it denies all knowledge of any explosives onboard.
You do bring up a point though!

One is driving along, deer run out, you hit it hard, the battery link disconnects, you end up in a pond. There is no way to lower the windows while you are sinking and I'm not sure if you can unlock a door without battery power, but I sure hope you can.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Drowning: Good point!

IIRC the car automatically unlocks the doors at the same time that it decides to fire the pretensioners on the seat belts, when it determines an impact is happening. One would hope that is done sequentially before blowing the battery cables, which leaves the question of how the hazard lights can be left flashing after an impact, if the power has been cut. ??

I know the dealer's service writer is going to say "Explosive bolts? No, you really can't believe everything you read on the internet." We need a parts blowup to show just what and where these are.(G)

I've had AGM batteries for a long time now, probably 15 years, so I've never wondered about losing power in the unlikley event (i.e. Risky Business) of becoming a U-boat commander. The windows would work underwater.

And my last door locks would manually unlock if you pulled the release, regardless of the electric function, so that was no issue.

Then too, the rear hatch was manual as well. And since I had an extra security coating on all the side glass, I well pre-dated the recent issue of "Well, we can't break out a window to rescue them". Got the same coating on the Q5 now, if someone wants to smash and grab--or rescue--it isn't going to happen unless the entire window gets battered out of the frame.

I did in fact once joke with a friend that I should install explosive bolts on the doors because of all that. But you know, in the US no one is really anxious to serve the consumer market for those? And of course, then you need the yellow-and-black "stand clear, explosive bolts" signage. And the exterior pull cord with the RESCUE arrow...

I think I'm going to have to call Germany, because Audi-US...haha, sure, they're going to have all those answers at their fingertips. I wonder, if Audi doesn't quietly refer to Audi-US as "shopkeepers".

Memo: Open windows before hitting large animals.

Daisy, daisy....

Last edited by Redd; 03-31-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Update

So I installed a slim, 8" powered sub in the rear compartment this week (I have the B&O stereo). Overall, it is a big help and fills in the lower end nicely. I still need to play with the cross-over and level settings to tune the sound, but I am pleased and will stick with this set-up for a while.

Some learnings from the process (a lot of this will be repetitive from other posts):
- I can't believe how little the stock subwoofer does. I have read about it, but it is amazing to see it for yourself
- The battery has a spare connection that you can attach the amp to; however, it does not come with a nut - you need an M6
- Grounding the amp is easy - you can use the battery hold-down as others have suggested, but the main ground is just a few inches away - I used that.
- I tapped into the speaker wire for the subwoofer - I just cut the wires and spliced the three ends back together. I could/should have used a push tap instead.
- I did use a push tap for the remote power on (it is the cord with the stripe) on the 12V supply. I originally intended to have the amp turn on with just the speak inputs, but I suspect that the level was not high enough and it didn't work.

I no longer can use the plastic bin tray for storage, but there is still plenty of room left underneath - I'm storing the same stuff, it is just not in the bin.

My bass is not window-thumping, but that is not what I was after. The stock B&O system is very crisp/tight and I will be tuning the subwoofer to provide tight bass response as well.

I'm still shaking my head at how useless the stock subwoofer is!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Subwoofer under the seat = "You must 21 to ride this ride" ?
infiniti has them under the seat as well on the rear passenger.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

So I installed a slim, 8" powered sub in the rear compartment this week
How about a link to what you bought?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
How about a link to what you bought?
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Very cost effective for the money.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could you please post some pictures of your install? I was considering the Alpine PWE-S8 which is just slightly smaller (13-1/2"W x 9"H x 3"D) than the Sound Ordnance. I'm sure the install would be the same for both.

Alpine PWE-S8 Compact 120-watt powered 8" subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Quick Reply: Powered Subwoffer?