Prepping the Q5 for a baby - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Prepping the Q5 for a baby

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Default Prepping the Q5 for a baby

Hi All,
We are expecting our first kid and I was wondering if any Q5 owners here have the 'perfect' setup for their baby.

For example, things are slipping and sliding in the trunk. I'm looking for a divider or something, but does anyone have a good setup where they have space for a stroller and baby stuff.

Thanks all!
__________________
2014 Q5 TDI Moonlight Blue/Titanium Grey/Aluminum Satellite Inlay
Prestige Package, Driver Assist Package, Protection Package, Wheel Locks (Ordered 10/2013) (Received 12/23/2013)

Prestige Package = Audi Adaptive Light, Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package, Sunshades for rear doors (manual), Audi Side Assist, B&O Sound System, Thermo Cup Holder

Driver Assist Package = Audi Adaptive Cruise Control, Audi Dynamic Steering, Audi Drive Select Controls

Service-
5k Service - 3/15/2014
Ryan Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
 
NVThs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 596
Default

The newborn days. Congrats. I have two kids myself and we actually downsized into the q5 from a Pathfinder. Now our kids no longer require the amount of "gear" that newborns need (my youngest is almost 2), so my advice might not work. For starters my stroller I have pretty much consumes the rear cargo area. I can fit some stuff around it and if I remove the rear deck lid, I can do more. What we do to help fit items is the use of some bags and material from a company called thirty one. We have a box with a lid that goes in the middle seat of the rear. We also have some garbage and tissue box that attaches to the head rest in the middle. We have some boxy type of item in the back, but it works for crap. The only reason I know this stuff is I just got the bill from the wife on this stuff and I have to be the one to remove it to clean up after the kids. So please let me keep my man card. HAHA.

That bad thing I notice with the Q5 is that with a stroller, you get very limited on space, so you need to really maximize space. I don't know of a divider that would really work with a stroller.

Hope this at least helps a little. I kept my Pathfinder so if we ever have a tuck load of stuff to lug around, we just use it. So my best advice is buy a cheap larger SUV. Have fun with childhood.
__________________


2013 A6 (C7) 3.0 Prestige. Estoril Blue
Mods: 35% tint all around, tinted tail lights. ABT trunk lid spoiler. Stasis Exhuast. Injen Intake. H&R Springs, Debadged, APR 93 Octane Tune, Stasis Sway Bar, all the cool vag com mods.
Planned: Black Optics, sub upgrade, trunk light upgrade, APR Supercharger pully upgrade


2014 Q5 3.0 Teak Brown Metallic Prem+, S-line+
Let the mods begin


2004 A6 (C5) 2.7T S line. Ming Blue (gone but not forgotten)
NVThs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 155
Default

Get a cargo box. That will make things a ton easier. Also, make sure you have a rear seat cover, to protect the leather from all sorts of nasty things. Paper towels and a little water helps with clean up. If you are traveling, it might be worth getting a cheap, light umbrella stroller. We have 3 strollers at the house and all have different functions.

For the first 6 months you won't really need a stroller. The kid will be in the car seat for almost all the jaunts. We ended up doing this:

Base for the Chicco in 2 different cars
Amazon.com: Chicco KeyFit & KeyFit30 Infant Car Seat Base - Anthracite: Baby Amazon.com: Chicco KeyFit & KeyFit30 Infant Car Seat Base - Anthracite: Baby

Chicco stoller, which the car seat clicks into
Amazon.com: Chicco Keyfit Caddy Stroller Frame: Baby Amazon.com: Chicco Keyfit Caddy Stroller Frame: Baby
Buckeye96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Congratulations on the new arrival! We just had our first girl a couple months back so we are going through the same transition with the car.

Cargo space can be a bit tight with the stroller (We have the Uppababy Vista) but for day trips/grocery shopping it is manageable. Sliding the rear seats up helps. The space between the infant car seat and the front passenger can get a bit tight so we've had to move it forward more than we would have liked to create enough room to get the infant seat in and out. Also, as suggested above, a seat cover underneath the base definitely helps protect the leather.

To help with sliding gear, we got the WeatherTech trunk liner which has been terrific.

All in all the Q5 has been great with the baby and she certainly enjoys the ride! Hardly a single trip out where she hasn't quickly fallen asleep.
C-Dub1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 200
Default

that's really a nice thread. I've a 2 yrs old boy and we have an 02 A4 and 09 Q5. Recently I was doing some cleaning to both cars and noticed that it's better to get seat covers to protect the leather in both cars. I remembered seeing that on a site named: audicolleciton but unfortunately when i tried to get one i couldn't find it. So can anyone help in that? Thanks.
amkmeco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkmeco90 View Post
that's really a nice thread. I've a 2 yrs old boy and we have an 02 A4 and 09 Q5. Recently I was doing some cleaning to both cars and noticed that it's better to get seat covers to protect the leather in both cars. I remembered seeing that on a site named: audicolleciton but unfortunately when i tried to get one i couldn't find it. So can anyone help in that? Thanks.
audi discontinued the nylon seat cover for Q5. your better off placing a towel under the baby seat or just buy aftermarket set covers but they sure do look ugly lol
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper View Post
audi discontinued the nylon seat cover for Q5. your better off placing a towel under the baby seat or just buy aftermarket set covers but they sure do look ugly lol
I bought some thick brown towels that nearly match my Chestnut seats. Pretty much always just used towels and that worked fine for my two kids, though the thicker the better for avoiding as much impact on the seats.

As for the topic at hand, I went from a Passat Wagon to an Odyssey after we had our first given all the baby crap we had to carry around for her. Last year downsized to the Q5 and couldn't imagine it working for us, but we needed to do week-long trips and had a ton of large items so that doesn't mean much for day-to-day use.
idale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idale View Post
I bought some thick brown towels that nearly match my Chestnut seats. Pretty much always just used towels and that worked fine for my two kids, though the thicker the better for avoiding as much impact on the seats.

As for the topic at hand, I went from a Passat Wagon to an Odyssey after we had our first given all the baby crap we had to carry around for her. Last year downsized to the Q5 and couldn't imagine it working for us, but we needed to do week-long trips and had a ton of large items so that doesn't mean much for day-to-day use.
customized foam seat pads would be nice too. i will be having my first child next year. gotta remove my subs soon to make room lol
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idale View Post
I bought some thick brown towels that nearly match my Chestnut seats. Pretty much always just used towels and that worked fine for my two kids, though the thicker the better for avoiding as much impact on the seats.
Bathroom mats also work well. They're rubberized on the bottom so they don't move around as much, and come in a wide array of wonderful colors! ;-)

We just downsized from a Mazda CX-9 to the Q. Ours are now 13 and 9.
Dalancroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 184
Default

I was following the thread in secret...no more

Baby girl is coming in August. Really interesting to read you.

We live in Montreal almost downtown, don,t think we'll need more than the Q for the space. Else we'll get a cargo on the roof... I think the Q is a nice size for urban environnement. We don't want to park a car larger than that.

My sister is giving me her Bugaboo stroller/kit, and we'll go for Pegperego for the car seat. If someone can find the ultimate seat cover, would be great

Cheers to all family guys

Last edited by Chuck2006; 04-08-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Chuck2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
AudiWorld Member
 
B490MTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 414
Default

Congratulations Chuck, I own a Q7 and find the best to protect the seats from a car seat is a thick towel, a simple cover will let the base of the seat crease the leather. Specially with the winters and summers we have, the base of the child seat will crease that leather right away.

Last edited by B490MTL; 04-09-2014 at 07:55 AM.
B490MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck2006 View Post
I was following the thread in secret...no more

Baby girl is coming in August. Really interesting to read you.

We live in Montreal almost downtown, don,t think we'll need more than the Q for the space. Else we'll get a cargo on the roof... I think the Q is a nice size for urban environnement. We don't want to park a car larger than that.

My sister is giving me her Bugaboo stroller/kit, and we'll go for Pegperego for the car seat. If someone can find the ultimate seat cover, would be great

Cheers to all family guys
I'm so sad that audi discontinued those seat covers. They do look nice. Probably I'll try that towel idea. Thanks for that.

And for the topic, Chuck 2006 is right. if you want extra space, you can get a roof cargo. I've been owning our Q5 for 2 yrs, the age of my boy, and I don't remember we had any issue for the space. 2 times we were traveling over seas, the first we had my mom and the other was my mother-in-law, with three 50 Ibs bags, 3 carry ons, and a small stroller. The only thing i had to do is to remove the cover of the trunk . Of course I didn't use my rearview mirror as it was blocked by our stuff BUT thanks for those elephant's ears, side mirrors, where they did the job.
amkmeco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #13
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 155
Default

I have the audi seat cover from my A4, which works very nicely. You'll need the towel under the car seat anyway to level it out.

We use this in my wife's outback, which works great. it also protects the back of the seat from the kicks and scrapes.

Amazon Amazon
Buckeye96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #14
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 172
Default

We have the audi seat cover for the Q5, it goes over the entire back row, and also covers the floor. It's great, except that you have to remove it to fold down the seats. Is this the one that was discontinued? If so, that's a shame.

We have an almost 4 y/o, and our second is due this summer.

First, allow me to put in a plug for Recaro car seats. We have the proride, as well as two Graco's, and the Recaro is by far superior. We love it, and it looks great.

Second, we bought the roof cargo carrier (Thule Atlantis 1800 XT), and never use it. It's just too much of a pain, for everything. A pain to store, a pain to put on, a pain to access once it's up there, etc. We used it a couple of times for big road trips to the beach, but now just find ourselves making everything fit inside.

I'll also plug the Uppababy Vista, great stroller.

It will be interesting to see how the Q does with 2 kids in the back.
Reisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member
 
apohis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 27
Default

Hey congrats! We just had our first baby three weeks ago so we are still trying to sort things out. Currently we are using the Peg Perago SIP 30/30 and we have a Stokke stroller.

We didn't get seat covers for the back yet so that is on our list. The trunk we had the Canvasback trunk liner that goes up the sides and also a Velcro on flap that comes down to protect the bumper. With our stroller on one side and the dog on the other, there is literally no more room left for anything else. If you have the sliding rear seats, pushing the driver side forward would give you extra room in the back.

For longer trips, we are going to get a rooftop cargo box to haul the stroller and other bulky stuff. Hoping to score an Atlantis 1600XT as that seems to look the best on the Q. The Inno brand has low profile cargo boxes that are pretty roomy as well but I don't like the look of them as much as the Thule.

Hopefully everyone can post photos of their setups so we can all get ideas on how everyone does it.
Attached Images
   
__________________
2012 Vespa LX150ie
apohis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B490MTL View Post
Congratulations Chuck, I own a Q7 and find the best to protect the seats from a car seat is a thick towel, a simple cover will let the base of the seat crease the leather. Specially with the winters and summers we have, the base of the child seat will crease that leather right away.
There you go, crease ! The word I was seeking for yesterday.
Wanted to say my in-law got all his car seats creased with my 2 nephews using only cheap towels. (Pathfinder, Jetta, RX350, A4, IS350, C4S, now GT3RS...yup got back seats in the GT3RS...). He likes cars

Last edited by Chuck2006; 04-09-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Chuck2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye96 View Post
I have the audi seat cover from my A4, which works very nicely. You'll need the towel under the car seat anyway to level it out.

We use this in my wife's outback, which works great. it also protects the back of the seat from the kicks and scrapes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will it cover the whole seat ? I've seen bad reviews on this product as people said it was too small, and could not attached it to the headrest. Pretty sure the little one will bang her feet on the seat pretty soon...too soon
Chuck2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #18
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck2006 View Post
Will it cover the whole seat ? I've seen bad reviews on this product as people said it was too small, and could not attached it to the headrest. Pretty sure the little one will bang her feet on the seat pretty soon...too soon
I think it does a great job. Let me take some pics and you can decide for yourself.
Buckeye96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Wow, thanks guys!! Freaking love this community.
I'll have to explore with my boss (the wife) what our options are. She's a bit shorter so i dont now if a cargo holder on top of the car would be feasilbe. It looks like the stroller takes up ALL of the trunk space lol.

Should've just gotten the Q7 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by apohis View Post
Hey congrats! We just had our first baby three weeks ago so we are still trying to sort things out. Currently we are using the Peg Perago SIP 30/30 and we have a Stokke stroller.

We didn't get seat covers for the back yet so that is on our list. The trunk we had the Canvasback trunk liner that goes up the sides and also a Velcro on flap that comes down to protect the bumper. With our stroller on one side and the dog on the other, there is literally no more room left for anything else. If you have the sliding rear seats, pushing the driver side forward would give you extra room in the back.

For longer trips, we are going to get a rooftop cargo box to haul the stroller and other bulky stuff. Hoping to score an Atlantis 1600XT as that seems to look the best on the Q. The Inno brand has low profile cargo boxes that are pretty roomy as well but I don't like the look of them as much as the Thule.

Hopefully everyone can post photos of their setups so we can all get ideas on how everyone does it.
__________________
2014 Q5 TDI Moonlight Blue/Titanium Grey/Aluminum Satellite Inlay
Prestige Package, Driver Assist Package, Protection Package, Wheel Locks (Ordered 10/2013) (Received 12/23/2013)

Prestige Package = Audi Adaptive Light, Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package, Sunshades for rear doors (manual), Audi Side Assist, B&O Sound System, Thermo Cup Holder

Driver Assist Package = Audi Adaptive Cruise Control, Audi Dynamic Steering, Audi Drive Select Controls

Service-
5k Service - 3/15/2014
Ryan Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Starting on prepping my SQ and the wife's CC as our daughter is due this August too!

I think we can get everything in both of them right now but might have to do the roof rack if we decide to go on a longer trip in the S
__________________
2014 SQ5
Brilliant Black / NAV / 21" wheels
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
audi, baby, q5, stroller

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community