Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

AUDI SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDI SUCKS

My wife's Q5 - with the dreaded 7 speed - broke down in the M5 tunnel in Sydney - in peak hour traffic.

Audi are replacing the gearbox under warranty.

This was a potentially catastrophic situation, possibly life threatening when the car dies in heavy traffic.

My issue is: it was a know problem globally, that Audi recalled in other markets (US and China) but elected not to in Oz. and it seems they have ignored the issue in the Q5 in other markets too.

The dealership doing the warranty work also told me I was lucky they were as I had not had the car serviced at an Audi Dealer. (hello Department of Fair Trading? hello ACCC?)

Having called Audi just now to voice my concerns I got a complete lack of concern, a lot of 'not factory policy' blah blah.

And not a lot of concern. But I got a reference number to keep me happy.

Friends, countrymen: Avoid this German 'quality' marque. They do not necessarily build goods cars, and won't always do the right thing when problems occur.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingscotsman
My wife's Q5 - with the dreaded 7 speed - broke down in the M5 tunnel in Sydney - in peak hour traffic.

This was a potentially catastrophic situation, possibly life threatening when the car dies in heavy traffic.

My issue is: it was a know problem globally, that Audi recalled in other markets (US and China) but elected not to in Oz. and it seems they have ignored the issue in the Q5 in other markets too.

The dealership doing the warranty work also told me I was lucky they were as I had not had the car serviced at an Audi Dealer. (hello Department of Fair Trading? hello ACCC?)

Having called Audi just now to voice my concerns I got a complete lack of concern, a lot of 'not factory policy' blah blah.

Friends, countrymen: Avoid this German 'quality' marque. They do not necessarily build goods cars, and won't always do the right thing when problems occur.
Q5's in the US have always had Tiptronic transmissions (6 or 8 speed). Sorry to hear about your breakdown situation, but breakdowns do happen. By the way what year and mileage on the vehicle? And how has the transmission been driven?

And Audi is replacing the transmission.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 10-14-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

So, please let me understand this. The car broke down (unfortunately in a bad place) and Audi is fixing the car under warranty. So, Audi "sucks", they won't do the right thing when problems occur and no one should buy one. Do I have that right? If so, I must be missing something here. (By the way, as mentioned, the Q5 in the US has only been offered with the tiptronic so the 7 speed couldn't have been a recall issue there).
Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Call your mom!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Audi
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Sell ​​Audi buys Kia, Hyundai, Holden ......
As far as I know of this problem nobody not dead in the Audi, as is the case with Toyota

7 speed gearbox in Audi Q5 is actually S tronic. This model is not sold in the U.S. market

Last edited by spijun; 10-15-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you approached Audi with the same attitude as you did this board, I wouldn't expect them to give you much consideration. You'll get much further with a well thought out, calm and collected approach.

Knee-jerk overreaction due to a car breaking down will get you nowhere. There isn't a car company on this planet that makes perfect vehicles. All of them will have occasional problems.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Call your mom!
Perfect response to the 'tantrum'!!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From wikipedia:

"Volkswagen Australia confirmed on the evening of the 11th of June 2013 that it would conduct a recall across its Skoda,Golf, Jetta, Polo, Passat and Caddy models manufactured between June 2008 and September 2011. The recall will affect 25,928 vehicles within this range." "The recall will target a particular version of DSG, the seven-speed DQ200." This recall has come about after sustained pressure from owners and the public after the death in 2011 of a young woman driving a 2008 VW Golf stopped suddenly on a major freeway and was hit by a truck from behind and crushing her car which was in a manual variant and not related to the DSG recall.

Shortly after Volkswagen Australia has announced its recall on 11th June 2013, Audi and Skoda have announced they will recall 6,000 and 1,746 vehicles respectively which are equipped with the 7-speed transmission.
I'm assuming your wife's problem happened after the Audi recall, given that you didn't post in June...
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by habu987
From wikipedia:
"Volkswagen Australia confirmed on the evening of the 11th of June 2013 that it would conduct a recall across its Skoda,Golf, Jetta, Polo, Passat and Caddy models manufactured between June 2008 and September 2011. The recall will affect 25,928 vehicles within this range." "The recall will target a particular version of DSG, the seven-speed DQ200."
Q5 does not use the DQ200 which is a transverse gearbox.

It uses the DL501 which is a longitudinal quattro gearbox and is not subject to any recall (or any 'problems' for that matter, which were related to poorly manufactured mechatronics units in the DQ200 which cracked and ingested oil).

Most other DSG issues are related to poor driving (usually left foot braking) which has people complaining the gearboxes aren't engaging properly, or the early dry clutch systems (DL501 is wet clutch) which wear quickly.

However, using your first post on an enthusiast forum to vent over a problem you're experiencing by calling the marque names and accusing them of fixing your car for free, isn't a smart move!
(And yes you're right, you do have rights under Australian consumer laws, which it appears Audi are honoring. Idiot dealer saying 'you're lucky' aside. They're also honoring their own warranty as under Australian consumer laws you don't need to service your car at a dealership to maintain the new car warranty provided you use a qualified mechanic and follow Audi handbook servicing and use approved fluids etc)

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 10-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: AUDI SUCKS