Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2015 - sells with Tyre repair kit

Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 2015 - sells with Tyre repair kit

Ok,

So I placed an order for my new Q5 in May and due to the 5 month lead date, the model will be built on the 2015 specification. Among other things, this now doesn't come with a spare wheel or a space saver spare.

Instead Audi are giving a tyre replacement kit, for obvious reasons this save on weight and space, but I rather like the comfort of knowing I have an actual spare. beside the repair kit can't be used if the side wall is damaged or the puncture is near the edges of the tyre.

I've asked my dealer and they say it's an extra £500 - £600 for a spare wheel (very costly), I don't expect them to pick up the cost, even though I'm spending near enough £50k for the car, but would expect some sort of option to swap out the kit for a spare.

Unfortunately, you cannot opt in for a spare wheel instead of the kit, there is not even an option to order the wheel in brochure anymore. There was in the 2010 Feb brochure :

Q5 2015 - sells with Tyre repair kit-screen-shot-2014-06-18-11.56.34.jpg

Does this bother anyone, and does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap spare / space saver ?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarlas

So I placed an order for my new Q5 in May and due to the 5 month lead date, the model will be built on the 2015 specification. Among other things, this now doesn't come with a spare wheel or a space saver spare.

(I'm in the USA.) We have a 2015 Q5 coming in shortly. It does have some sort of space saver spare included and a built-in compressor to inflate it. So, the option does exist. I have no idea the cost to duplicate.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It depends on the general distributor
Different markets have different equipment packages. Even members of the EU have different prices and packages
Additional payment in Germany is 130 Euros

Last edited by spijun; 06-18-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Reply from the dealer

This is what the dealer came back with :

So I have just had the confirmation from our parts department manager that the collapsible spare wheel has been withdrawn from sale due to worldwide constraint. Therefore all Model year 15 cars will be supplied with a gel inflation pack.

The only thing that I can do is once we have a chassis number (once the car has been built) I can provide the details to my parts department who will then be able to quote you on an actual spare wheel. It will be expensive and there will not be a storage space for it in the vehicle which seems pointless

So I reckon there's no point unless someone is selling it on eBay or I manage to get hold of one from a scrap yard.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is what the dealer came back with :

So I have just had the confirmation from our parts department manager that the collapsible spare wheel has been withdrawn from sale due to worldwide constraint. Therefore all Model year 15 cars will be supplied with a gel inflation pack.

The only thing that I can do is once we have a chassis number (once the car has been built) I can provide the details to my parts department who will then be able to quote you on an actual spare wheel. It will be expensive and there will not be a storage space for it in the vehicle which seems pointless

So I reckon there's no point unless someone is selling it on eBay or I manage to get hold of one from a scrap yard.
It is only for the UK market. Different markets have different standards

Last edited by spijun; 06-18-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
It is only for the UK market. Different markets have different standards
Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in the UK. From what I gather, most of the people on the is forum are in the US
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in the UK. From what I gather, most of the people on the is forum are in the US
I do not understand what you really want ????????????????

This is a decision of the Audi representative of the UK

U.S. market :

Middle East market

Croatian market:

Last edited by spijun; 06-18-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi spijun,

Sorry , should have been clearer. Apparently this option is not available in the UK and is available in the US markets as you mentioned. It was available in the UK before, but it's been withdrawn for some reason. Short of me than me ordering one from the US and getting it shipped to the UK, there isn't much I can do.

I guess if I'm in Belgium or France, I can visit a dealer there and maybe they'll be able to provide a collapsible wheel.

Thanks for your help though
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying the space for the spare tire is gone? I doubt that very much. Have you tried a wrecking yard?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
Are you saying the space for the spare tire is gone? I doubt that very much. Have you tried a wrecking yard?
No., the space exists for a space saver. But Audi UK are only able to provide a full size wheel as a spare so this will definitely not fit in the boot space.

I'll start asking round some breakers yards here in the UK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 2015 - sells with Tyre repair kit