Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 / compact SUV size or go with mid-size SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotRodW
All the others have all gone to a minivan or three-row utility vehicle.
Originally Posted by The G Man
Too bad Audi doesnt make a minivan
Wife said no to minivans. The choice really is between a compact Q5 size SUV and a mid-size Q7 class.

Originally Posted by cptkloss
We're in the same situation right now (2 adults + 2 young children - 3 and 1 year old). Q5 is sufficient for everything but the long (i mean like in vacations, where you have to pack a lot of stuff) trips. 30 qft of storage with seats up can only go so far. Stroller + playpen and a couple of bags fits just fine. it's a tough one.
Good to know. We better be packing light then down the road with a compact size SUV.

This comment above about having a 3- and 1-year make me think... do you need more space as the kids grow older or less? I am thinking you won't need strollers, but kids/teens are bigger.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about cargo space requirements as they grow older... my guess is less...As for people, it fits 4 just fine.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We took a 6 hour each way ski trip this last weekend and was able to fit 4 adults, 2 large suitcases, 2 ski boot bags, 3 backpacks, a large bag for snacks and multiple jackets and shoes. We didn't need to move the rear seats forward at all and everyone was comfortable. It just takes a little planning, but the Q5 can hold quite a bit. We may get a roof carrier in the future but it wasn't needed.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69velle
We took a 6 hour each way ski trip this last weekend and was able to fit 4 adults, 2 large suitcases, 2 ski boot bags, 3 backpacks, a large bag for snacks and multiple jackets and shoes. We didn't need to move the rear seats forward at all and everyone was comfortable. It just takes a little planning, but the Q5 can hold quite a bit. We may get a roof carrier in the future but it wasn't needed.
I agree with this. When we travel we take our three dogs in their decently sized travel crates, all of our luggage, computer cases, dog food, dog accessory bag, snacks, etc. and we've never really had a hard time fitting everything. We even made a trip once with all of that, AND another person in the back. It all just takes some planning, and time packing it all in there.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Infiniti JX35

Also consider the very soon to be released Infiniti JX-35. Has three rows and lots of standard features. Looks larger than the Q5 but smaller than the Q7. Sat in one at the Miami Auto show and it was gorgeous inside and out.

MDX is a fine SUV, but is due for an overhaul soon. Acura is very tight lipped about when.

We have enough room in our Q, but if we needed more, the JX-35 would be our top choice.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by opus360
Wife said no to minivans. The choice really is between a compact Q5 size SUV and a mid-size Q7 class.

Good to know. We better be packing light then down the road with a compact size SUV.

This comment above about having a 3- and 1-year make me think... do you need more space as the kids grow older or less? I am thinking you won't need strollers, but kids/teens are bigger.
My kids are 13 and 9 now, and we're moving down[size] from a Honda Pilot to Q5. I believe we need less space now than when they were little. Don't have the Q yet (on order, arriving April ??), so we'll see if that theory holds true. Figure I will get a cargo carrier for longer trips and that should cover it.

However, we also have an F250 for when we really have a lot of sh*t to haul around, so that makes it easier to downsize the other vehicle.

This size thing was really critical for us in the decision. I think the Q5 is the perfect size for an older family. I wanted the A4 Avant but the wife + kids felt it was just too small in the back seat. I didn't want a bigger SUV (like the Pilot) any more and definitely didn't want a minivan. Even though there's not a huge difference in room between the A4 and Q5, the Q5 has just enough more rear seat room to make it work.

YMMV
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bought my first suv in 1991, a Ford Explorer, when my son was 3 and we expected another child in a year. After two Explorers and adding a daughter, we bought the first year model of the Lexus RX 300. That was a downsize from the Explorer and caused some cramped quarters during our annual 2 week summer road trip around the Midwest. Q5 is probably about the same size as the RX300. Bought the first year of the Acura MDX after that followed by another. Very roomy and swallowed everything we threw at it, but once the kids grew up, the space required went down. With two kids grown up with one now a working man and the other in college, moving down to the Q5.

So, you should be able to handle just about every situation you'll encounter with the Q5 based on my experience.

You want a challenge.... Pack an old school non collapsible playpen, swinging seat, car seat, diaper bags, suitcases, and a dog for a week of vacation in a 1985 mustang convertible. That was my wife's car when my son was born and she just did not want to part with it.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Also consider the very soon to be released Infiniti JX-35. Has three rows and lots of standard features. Looks larger than the Q5 but smaller than the Q7. Sat in one at the Miami Auto show and it was gorgeous inside and out.

MDX is a fine SUV, but is due for an overhaul soon. Acura is very tight lipped about when.

We have enough room in our Q, but if we needed more, the JX-35 would be our top choice.
IMO the JX looks cheap and is not up to the standards of other Infiniti products. The interior looks quite functional and I especially like the flexible seating configurations and access to third row. The 2013 Pathfinder is essentially the same vehicle.

Having owned a 2008 MDX, I can state unequivocally that it is an excellent vehicle which I highly recommend. If AWD is important, compare the workings of the SH system vs fwd biased systems. Acura gives deep cash discounts at the end of the year. For someone who runs their vehicles for a long time, this would be an excellent choice.

The Q7 has a really tight 3rd row with poor access.

Minivan all the way for functionality.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by opus360
If the wife say no to the minivan, you should say no to having 3 kids

Seriously, the Q5 is usually a SUV people down size to, not someone who wants to start a family of 5. We down size to the Q5 a few years ago from a Highlander because my son was getting older. I can tell you that even with 2 kids, the Q5 is kind of tight as a family hauler, especially on longer trips. If you have two infants, you might need more cargo space as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love this forum here. I am getting lots of great opinions about proper size to go.

Originally Posted by 69velle
We took a 6 hour each way ski trip this last weekend and was able to fit 4 adults, It just takes a little planning, but the Q5 can hold quite a bit.
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
When we travel we take our three dogs in their decently sized travel crates, AND another person in the back. It all just takes some planning, and time packing it all in there.
Originally Posted by quattrosky
My kids are 13 and 9 now, and we're moving down[size] from a Honda Pilot to Q5. I believe we need less space now than when they were little.
Originally Posted by cwdonahue
Bought my first suv in 1991, a Ford Explorer..., when my son was 3 and we expected another child in a year... That was a downsize from the Explorer [to RX300] and caused some cramped quarters during our annual 2 week summer road trip around the Midwest. Q5 is probably about the same size as the RX300. Bought the first year of the Acura MDX after that followed by another. Very roomy and swallowed everything we threw at it, but once the kids grew up, the space required went down. With two kids grown up with one now a working man and the other in college, moving down to the Q5.
Originally Posted by The G Man
Seriously, the Q5 is usually a SUV people down size to, not someone who wants to start a family of 5. We down size to the Q5 a few years ago from a Highlander because my son was getting older.
Looking from all the quotes above, we can say:
- Q5 can fit 4 people (2 adults + 2 kids/infants, or 4 adults). This requires some planning and time packing.
- Family of 5 is a no go for Q5.
- Older kids require less space than infants/babies.

If mid-size SUV, which one?
I don't know if I should start a new tread or just ask it here. Several of you have mentioned owning a Toyota Highlander before or a Acura MDX.

The G Man, what is your opinion on handling/ride quality of the Highlander versus the Q5? I love a car with great handling. (I currently own a Passat B5 and a Miata.) Wife don't carry about handling. It's a SUV to be use if we travel long distance, so I'll be driving to some extend.

CWDONAHUE, how do you like the MDX as a family hauler? How did the leather hold up after years of use? I heard the leather in the MDX isn't as good as the ones in Audi.

More opinions about Q5 vs mid-size SUVs are welcomed.

Quick Reply: Q5 / compact SUV size or go with mid-size SUV