Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart key/Advanced key will not allow you to lock yourself out.
If the key is left in the hatch area, you will get locked out.

The smart key for my Corvette would do this so we tested the Audi when we got it home. It did it as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bleh5
Answering a question of my own as to why the center console's lid ratchets? It acts as an adjustable armrest! Prior to realizing this, I was lamenting on how the armrest seems too low.

Also, the armrest extends towards the front of the car (partially covering cupholders) for extra length.
I am hoping to get a 3.0 Prestige with the heated/cooled cup holders . Since I am only 5'8, I need to move the seat up a good bit. Consequently, I need to move the armrest up a bit also. I guess if I want to use the cup holders, I'll just have to make due with the armrest further back. Maybe if I ratchet it up, there might be more clearance.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And I may be mistaken, but the thing that looks like a vent may actually be a vent. I know the automatic climate control samples the interior air to know how to adjust for your comfort.[/QUOTE]

Actually there is a thread with some technical manuals posted, mostly in German. I had my German immigrant mother translate what is says for that. She said, essentially, it says penny holder. I too had been thinking it's some kind of vent. I wonder if anyone actually uses it to store coins.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
I guess if I want to use the cup holders, I'll just have to make due with the armrest further back. Maybe if I ratchet it up, there might be more clearance.
This is true. It will give room for taller items but you will have to either slide back or lift the cover whenever you want to access your beverage. It is not exactly the ideal setup.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And I may be mistaken, but the thing that looks like a vent may actually be a vent. I know the automatic climate control samples the interior air to know how to adjust for your comfort.
Actually there is a thread with some technical manuals posted, mostly in German. I had my German immigrant mother translate what is says for that. She said, essentially, it says penny holder. I too had been thinking it's some kind of vent. I wonder if anyone actually uses it to store coins.[/QUOTE]

I've had coins in mine for years. They don't fall through so I assume it is a coin holder and not a vent. It appears to be solid in the bottom.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Actually there is a thread with some technical manuals posted, mostly in German. I had my German immigrant mother translate what is says for that. She said, essentially, it says penny holder. I too had been thinking it's some kind of vent. I wonder if anyone actually uses it to store coins.
After seeing this "easter egg", I went to my car to look for this vent/penny holder thing, and I can't figure out where it is...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
When your sunroof is open, the wind deflector doubles as a BUG CATCHER so you can collect mosquitos (and birds if you're lucky) for your collection
But wait there's more! Push it down with your hand and resonance booms so bad that the car becomes an earthquake simulator!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bleh5
After seeing this "easter egg", I went to my car to look for this vent/penny holder thing, and I can't figure out where it is...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
it is on the right of the stick and top of volume control

/full/audi_q5_custom_in2_09.jpg
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hawk12
If the key is left in the hatch area, you will get locked out.

The smart key for my Corvette would do this so we tested the Audi when we got it home. It did it as well.
Actually, you won't. The hatch will not lock when the key is in the hatch area. Maybe you had another key outside near the vehicle. In that case, you can lock a key inside.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

- Press and hold left temperature **** and it will "sync" passenger climate settings with the driver settings

Quick Reply: Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)