Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 got clipped - hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds similar to the experience with the same issue as Allstate raising our premium. There were pieces of headlight in our driveway, and teal paint transfer on her car. A car two blocks up the street had the exact same paint color and an obviously-new headlight on the driver's side (which was the side that had hit her car) which matched the decent-sized fragment that we found. Police went and talked to them but made some various excuses about how they couldn't do anything (something about how they don't know that it was them, even though there's an awful lot of circumstantial evidence that seems to point to a reasonable case for investigation on any recent repairs to the vehicle). Still wish that they'd gone just a foot farther, as then they would've embedded themselves in the corner of the house next door and it would've been easier to have had a case against them.

At least with the paint transfer hopefully at worst you can make a claim with your insurance under the "uninsured driver" portion so you're out less on your deductible. But hopefully you'll eventually have some luck with getting the culprit to have to pay up. These days it seems like nobody cares about anyone else, though, so it's likely a large uphill battle to get satisfaction, though, but fingers crossed....
Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Most PDs don't want to use up their budget (lab tests cost money, detectives book overtime) on non-violent offenses, which means either you need to motivate them, or pursue other options like civil court or small claims court instead of the criminal "leaving the scene" etc. Which usually means it is simpler and takes less time to just pay the insurance increase.

If dashcams weren't so confusing, bulky ("steal me, please!") and expensive (for the better ones) I'd sure like to install a set. Cobra is relabeling one, Garmin is making one, maybe in a couple of years they'll get it figured out.

Or a car maker that takes pride in high technology systems might just integrate it with their rearview camera as a package. Of course that wouldn't be Audi...where the optional rearview camera is already golly-gee dollars.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I figure the authorities won't probably bother putting enough effort in my case like in yours. I will be going to try and file a report with the neighboring township where the hit and run occurred, though I'm not expecting much. Not worth anymore of my time or effort to prove this individual did it.. luckily there will be no rate hike, just the deductible.

I will be buying and mounting a dash cam in my own car now.. though just a cheapo, brand-less Chinese unit with good reviews. Even if this sort of incident never happens again, which I sort of hope does so I can teach a scumbag a lesson, recording the shenanigans I run into on my commute will easily make up for the cost of the camera.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drunkenup
I figure the authorities won't probably bother putting enough effort in my case like in yours. I will be going to try and file a report with the neighboring township where the hit and run occurred, though I'm not expecting much. Not worth anymore of my time or effort to prove this individual did it.. luckily there will be no rate hike, just the deductible.
I had a similar incident, but I had an eyewitness see the other car back into my rear driver side door. The witness left a note with the license plate of the of the offender. Police did not want to help because they said it was an insurance issue, not a hit and run since there was no personal injury. My insurance company (GEICO) was able to look up the plate and find out the other person was also on GEICO. I filed the claim on their policy and after a couple of weeks of the other party ducking the calls, emails, and written communication, the claim was escalated within GEICO for further investigation. The other party also tried to deny any wrongdoing and at one point accused me of damaging their car. Plus, they didn't cooperate at all with GIECO during the investigation. GEICO awarded me the repair money on their policy due the the fact they were completely uncooperative.

I think if you push hard enough through your insurance co, they can contact this other driver's insurance co and report the damage to both vehicles. Odds are that she did not contact her company about any damage to her car, which was the case in my situation. They sent an agent out to the other party's car and saw a slew of unreported damage to the vehicle. I hope GIECO dropped their coverage because these people can't drive and they go around playing bumper cars with no regard for other people's property.

Good luck.