Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI navigation vs. Garmin GPS

Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 MMI navigation vs. Garmin GPS

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a new Q5 soon (my first Audi) and was wondering how does the MMI navigation compare to an external GPS like the ones from Garmin? I have been a long time user of Garmin GPSs so a comparison between these would be great.

Note I am just interested in the standard maps and not the overlayed Google maps, since I do not plan on subscribing to audi connect.

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

It sucks.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought the nav with '13 Q5 and I haven't use it much. The proposed routes generated from the system made no sense. I regularly use my iPhone apps (waze or google maps) for directions. Although with the package it came with back up camera and bumper sensors, which have been helpful. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably forgo the nav option. There has been a lot of construction and my maps are definitely out of date already.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is disappointing to hear. I was kinda hoping it would be at least be somewhat decent. I can always go back to using Garmin or the iPhone apps but was trying to avoid needing to mount a device to the windshield.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a '14 with Nav and love it!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2011 Q5 Nav directions were quite good. Never failed to get me to locations. I have not yet used it in my brand new 2014 but will do so next month to a trip out of state. I trust it. The only potential hiccup might be a newly constructed portion of a highway or the closing of some off-ramp unknown to the current software.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't find the directions to be bad. I actually like the nav. Just make sure to go into settings and tell it what transport ways you prefer to see or not show, ferry's, tollways, etc.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dxchea
This is disappointing to hear. I was kinda hoping it would be at least be somewhat decent. I can always go back to using Garmin or the iPhone apps but was trying to avoid needing to mount a device to the windshield.
I wouldn't say MMI 3G Nav Plus in the newer models is bad at all, especially if you have Audi Connect and Sirius Traffic activated. Google search uses the same data and is every bit as good at POIs as Google Maps online. Advantages over a portable GPS or phone are larger screen and full integration with the MMI voice control. It offers 3D building graphics in many cities plus all the extra features that Audi Connect provides including Google Earth overlay, gas prices, available parking lots, news, weather, events, etc.; all are tied into the nav, MMI and your Bluetooth phone for dialing through the car. Audi uses NavTeq for it's map data (as does Garmin).

While it's not perfect, and I'm sure a top model Garmin will have a feature or two missing from the car's nav, Audi has come a long way with integrated Nav over the last few years. I have three Garmins and an iPhone with Apple and Google maps and unlike earlier Audi nav systems, I don't use them at all for navigation.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does it have 3D map capability and text to speech, meaning it will say the names of streets?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dxchea
Does it have 3D map capability and text to speech, meaning it will say the names of streets?
Yes. 3D is an option in either the standard map or Google Earth overlay. Lots of street speech and vocal directions. Many MMI options on what and how to display and hear things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 MMI navigation vs. Garmin GPS