Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI - text messages?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Definitely decent, but it's too bad you still need to initiate siri through the phone (i.e. it has to be docked, not in pocket.. somewhere accessible...)
Apple has announced that several auto companies, including Audi, will eventually implement Siri "Eyes Free" which will fully integrate with the MMI. My guess is we'll see it on 2015 or 2016 models.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Apple has announced that several auto companies, including Audi, will eventually implement Siri "Eyes Free" which will fully integrate with the MMI. My guess is we'll see it on 2015 or 2016 models.
Looks like I will have to
a) Switch back to iphone
b) Replace my 3-year old Audi... once it is 3 years old...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Does the MMI integrate with text messages of a phone connected via bluetooth? Can it read them? Can you dictate messages? Anything like that...?
I have a 2013 Q5 Hybrid, and my phone is a Windows Phone (Lumia 920), connected via Bluetooth.

When I receive a text message, it offers to read the message aloud (and does very well). I cannot dictate but it does give me an easy option to call the person right away when I receive a text.

I'm pretty sure this is a feature of the phone; for a brief time when I first had my Q5 I had a Galaxy S2 and it never offered to read text messages. Clearly there's some capability that the car affords the phone (because, for instance, if the radio or music is playing when the text comes in, the car will pause it while the text message is read and then resume when it's done), and depending on your phone, it may take advantage of it.

So to answer your question: yes the car supports it. Does your phone?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my Nokia Lumia 920 did that automatically. It was well implemented and very handy.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

After reading the thread tried this coming back from a road trip today. Used both the read and send functions through bluetooth and other than a couple of minor syntax errors in translation all worked very well with my iphone 5. Very impressed overall.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have 2014 A4 with MMI and I use the following app for my android phone. I had to finagle the settings to allow it to read them, but now it will read the text over my speakers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....smstalk&hl=en

Sending texts is more straightforward, I have not found a way of doing it hands free. I need to initiate Google Now on my phone to be able to dictate the message.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by surgonc
Unfortunately, there is no playback for received text messages, as far as I know.
Originally Posted by barnib97
Just tell Siri "read me my message."
Another option iPhone users have is to turn on "Speak Selection"....once turned on just hold down the text or whatever you want read to you and select "Speak"
Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Text & Email messaging

I've had (& still own) several BMW's over the years. They've had the ability to read text & email messages aloud through the vehicles audio system for years. The problem is they are always behind the curve when new devices & OS's are released. Case in point my 2013 X3 was able to read texts & email messages on iPhone 5 & iOS 6. Upgrade phone to iOS 7 & phone to 5s & functionality gone. Frustrating to say the least.

The interesting thing is that we recently purchased our first Audi & while I was surprised this ifeature was not available in 2014 Q5 we are even more pleasantly surprised we don't miss it. For us, it's means focusing on driving. Something we should all do more of.

My opinion but car & smart phone manufacturers have not done enough to stem the ever increasing problem of distracted driving. Can't believe no one has come up with code or an app to disable text & email in a vehicle once in motion.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawksie
My opinion but car & smart phone manufacturers have not done enough to stem the ever increasing problem of distracted driving. Can't believe no one has come up with code or an app to disable text & email in a vehicle once in motion.
Texting while driving is currently illegal in all but 5 states so it wouldn't be a stretch that car and/or phone manf. will be forced to come up with some kind of lockout tech to do just that in the future. (Perhaps along with forced handsfree voice tel).
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gyoung345
I have 2014 A4 with MMI and I use the following app for my android phone. I had to finagle the settings to allow it to read them, but now it will read the text over my speakers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....smstalk&hl=en

Sending texts is more straightforward, I have not found a way of doing it hands free. I need to initiate Google Now on my phone to be able to dictate the message.
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I too have a 2014 A4 and to my disappointment, there is no "MESSAGES" option in the Bluetooth menu for my paired device, just phone and audio. Looks like it was added in the new A3. Maybe a firmware update for MMI will add it to our cars?

Anyway, can you just set this app to read texts aloud only when paired with MMI?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Q5 MMI - text messages?