Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI - text messages?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Texting while driving is currently illegal in all but 5 states so it wouldn't be a stretch that car and/or phone manf. will be forced to come up with some kind of lockout tech to do just that in the future. (Perhaps along with forced handsfree voice tel).
Well someone has done this... Here is an android app that allows control of distractions

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2964
Old 05-17-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rudymon
Well someone has done this... Here is an android app that allows control of distractions

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2964
This is voluntary. I was speaking to eventual governmental regulation to force the phone and auto manf. to prevent texting while the car is moving rather than any existing penalties if one is caught. For better or worse, I believe it's inevitable these laws will be enacted in the U.S. and elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4real
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I too have a 2014 A4 and to my disappointment, there is no "MESSAGES" option in the Bluetooth menu for my paired device, just phone and audio. Looks like it was added in the new A3. Maybe a firmware update for MMI will add it to our cars?

Anyway, can you just set this app to read texts aloud only when paired with MMI?

Thanks!
Basically there is a setting for delaying the start of the playing the text, I believe the options are 0, 1, 2, 5, or 10 seconds. I had to set it to 10 seconds or it would clip and I wouldn't hear who had sent the message. I also had to set the Audio Setting -> Forwarding -> Send output to bluetooth headset.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default text messaging

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Does the MMI integrate with text messages of a phone connected via bluetooth? Can it read them? Can you dictate messages? Anything like that...?
I know that this response is a little late but for what its worth I have a 2014 SQ5 and with my windows phone(Lumia 920) connected I can receive and respond to text messages but I can't initiate them. Which seems odd at this day and age.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tootrn
I know that this response is a little late but for what its worth I have a 2014 SQ5 and with my windows phone(Lumia 920) connected I can receive and respond to text messages but I can't initiate them. Which seems odd at this day and age.
With an iPhone using Siri you can start and send a message. Press one button on the phone and it's all voice via the MMI after that.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default text messaging

With an iPhone using Siri you can start and send a message. Press one button on the phone and it's all voice via the MMI after that.
I discovered I can do the same thing on the Lumia 920 by pressing and holding down the windows button until the "Listening" window opens up.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is voluntary. I was speaking to eventual governmental regulation to force the phone and auto manf. to prevent texting while the car is moving rather than any existing penalties if one is caught. For better or worse, I believe it's inevitable these laws will be enacted in the U.S. and elsewhere.
Hmmm... Not so sure that would fly in the good 'ol U S of A. While we are a land of laws, many voters don't like our Uncle Sam meddling in our personal space. Why not speed governors based on road speed limit? Or embedded breathalyzer to enable vehicle operation? Mandatory seatbelts for vehicle operation if an occupant is detected.... You get the point... All of these are proven life savers, with existing laws on the books, with easy technology readily available to enforce adherence to the current laws. But few would want that to happen.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rudymon
Hmmm... Not so sure that would fly in the good 'ol U S of A. While we are a land of laws, many voters don't like our Uncle Sam meddling in our personal space. Why not speed governors based on road speed limit? Or embedded breathalyzer to enable vehicle operation? Mandatory seatbelts for vehicle operation if an occupant is detected.... You get the point... All of these are proven life savers, with existing laws on the books, with easy technology readily available to enforce adherence to the current laws. But few would want that to happen.
Maybe so but the car will complain if you drive w/o your seat belt fastened - the next step is to make it so the car will not start w/o it. While the public may not like it, I wouldn't write off the possibility that states and or federal government will eventually take these things a step further like legislating technology in phones to prevent their use in a moving car by the driver unless hands-free. Or being able to start a car until the seat belt is fastened. The Capitol hill crowd is always looking for new legislative ways to justify their existence in the interest of "public safety".
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Capitol hill crowd is always looking for new legislative ways to justify their existence in the interest of "public safety".
That's a fact. I don't disagree with the potential safety benefits... just hard to see putting it into a mandatory mode.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default text messaging

When I say text messaging I'm talking about hands free. I'm disappointed in Audi's MMI, because along with being able to make and receive phone calls, hands free, voice control text messaging should have been a given in "this day and age." But as stated in my previous post it can be done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 MMI - text messages?