Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Panoramic Sunroof

Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Panoramic Sunroof

I've heard that the Q5's sunroof is cold in winter and hot in summer. The sunroof seems to be on every Q-5 in the the northwest. Living in western Montana, I gets lots of cold and not much sunshine; so, a sunroof isn't something that I want. I'm looking to replace my '99 A-4 5spd, but will keep my '03 allroad 6spd.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MT Farmer
I've heard that the Q5's sunroof is cold in winter and hot in summer. The sunroof seems to be on every Q-5 in the the northwest. Living in western Montana, I gets lots of cold and not much sunshine; so, a sunroof isn't something that I want. I'm looking to replace my '99 A-4 5spd, but will keep my '03 allroad 6spd.
I got my car in November so haven't had it during a summer yet. So far this winter I haven't really noticed any difference in keeping the interior warm etc. The heater and heated seats work fine. I imagine the same thing in summer, at least for around here (IL). If the interior does get too warm in summer, you can tint it to be darker and reflact more heat.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Great in Winter & Summer

It does have a sun shield that can be closed in the summer if too hot or in the winter is you get sick of looking at it snow.
No problems and the back seat passengers seem to like be able to see more of the outside.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had my Q5 since 1/15, I have not noticed any issues with the cold. The screen open or closed doesn't seem to matter. I can report back on summer conditions in, what is it, four months?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Had mine for a year now. Cold and hot weather. No problem at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in NorCal and have mine since Nov. No cold issues, but that isnt saying much for NorCal. lol As for heat, I will say, if it has been sitting out in the sun all day and the shade is open, the inside is definitely hot, but the AC cools her down fast. We are getting the windows tinted in the next few weeks and there are some new tints out that block upwards of 90% of the UV rays coming in, which is what cases the heat. So that should help keep it cooker when sitting out in the sun.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
I live in NorCal and have mine since Nov. No cold issues, but that isnt saying much for NorCal. lol As for heat, I will say, if it has been sitting out in the sun all day and the shade is open, the inside is definitely hot, but the AC cools her down fast. We are getting the windows tinted in the next few weeks and there are some new tints out that block upwards of 90% of the UV rays coming in, which is what cases the heat. So that should help keep it cooker when sitting out in the sun.
Any comparisons with prior vehicles as far as how hot the car's been? I know here in Texas your car's pretty much guaranteed to be pretty hot inside regardless of having a large pane of glass on top or not, so you're screwed with heat no matter what (tint, windshield reflector, and crack windows to avoid it), but it'd be interesting to hear any comparisons of people's experiences pre- and post-panorama.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Any comparisons with prior vehicles as far as how hot the car's been? I know here in Texas your car's pretty much guaranteed to be pretty hot inside regardless of having a large pane of glass on top or not, so you're screwed with heat no matter what (tint, windshield reflector, and crack windows to avoid it), but it'd be interesting to hear any comparisons of people's experiences pre- and post-panorama.
We also have a 01 Tahoe with sunroof and a 99 yukon no sunroof. All 3 vehicles sit outside all the time. My yukon has 5% tint on the back 5 windows over the factory tint and 33% on the front doors. And of all the vehicles the Yukon is the coolest after sitting outside all day. I am guessing between no glass in the roof and the tint that is why. And all 3 vehicles are black with the darkest interior available for that year. Charcoal gray on the GM's and black on the Q5.
I would have to say as of right now the Audi is the hottest. Granted we almost also never close the shade. Mainly we just don't think about it.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
... We are getting the windows tinted in the next few weeks and there are some new tints out that block upwards of 90% of the UV rays coming in, which is what cases the heat. So that should help keep it cooker when sitting out in the sun.
Just to pick a nit ... UV causes sunburn, IR causes warmth. That said, I'm sure the tint you're considering also includes attenuation of the IR, but you better check.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can;t imagine the Q without the panoramic sunroof as that is it's signature feature...

And having had it in TexUS heat for a few years...
IF you park outside in the sun IN Texas, it WILL get hot in there - I promise!
but not much more so than any other car that sits in the sun...

the seats will be warmer from the sunlight,
but perforated and cooled seats go a long way in helping with that...

If you want the benefit of the great sunroof and less heating, get a ceramic based tint like hueper optik ceramic window tint

We haven't done that to the Q because we love the view and, besides, it's the current wife's daily commuter and is in a parking garage most of the day... but the hueper optik's does wonders on our tow vehicle's sunroof

A few other things you can opt for:
1) Crack a couple of windows,
2) Get a remote start, but the Germans must not like remote starts it's os cost prohibitive
3) program the car so that holding your remote unlock button will open all windows as you go to it.... will allow more hot air to escape aiding initial cooling...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 03-09-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Panoramic Sunroof