Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Panoramic Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
We also have a 01 Tahoe with sunroof and a 99 yukon no sunroof. All 3 vehicles sit outside all the time. My yukon has 5% tint on the back 5 windows over the factory tint and 33% on the front doors. And of all the vehicles the Yukon is the coolest after sitting outside all day. I am guessing between no glass in the roof and the tint that is why. And all 3 vehicles are black with the darkest interior available for that year. Charcoal gray on the GM's and black on the Q5.
I would have to say as of right now the Audi is the hottest. Granted we almost also never close the shade. Mainly we just don't think about it.
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
And having had it in TexUS heat for a few years...
IF you park outside in the sun IN Texas, it WILL get hot in there - I promise!
but not much more so than any other car that sits in the sun...
Thanks for the personal experiences. Sounds at least like for Texas (where any car will become an oven without precautions taken) there's not much difference, but YMMV of course if you don't have brutal sunlight most of the year.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

So we got the windows tinted today. Everything but the front windshield. Step 2 in blacking everything out. next will be wheels, then trim and roof rails.
Here is what we did:

35% on the front two doors
15% on the back 6 windows (couldn't quit talk the wife into 5%. It is primarily hers, so it was really her call)
5% on the sunroof

We went with the Pinnacle Series from Llumar. It is freaken awesome! Great heat reduction and its a ceramic tint so it shouldnt interfere with the cell phones. The wife said on the way home, she actually had to turn the AC down cause she was getting cold case the sun wasnt beating down on her through the sunroof.

Here are a couple quick pics I grabbed with the iPad. Left the camera at the in-laws this weekend.
Attached Images      
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

i could only post 5 pics. So here is the sunroof with the 5% tint.....I love how the glass is as black as the paint. That is what I have on my Yukon on the back 5 windows.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice! Do you have pics of the view from inside the sunroof (looking up) after the tint? Just wondering how the tint affects the whole view and feel from the interior...

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D_Frost
Nice! Do you have pics of the view from inside the sunroof (looking up) after the tint? Just wondering how the tint affects the whole view and feel from the interior...

Thanks!
I will take some today. It was hard trying to get a looking up shot with the iPad.

But over all feel is nice. It does make it feel a little 'smaller' since the sunroof is darker, but that is an ok trade off for blocking like 90% of the heat. Also it was almost dusk when my wife got home with it. In full daylight it might feel a litte "bigger". I will take some 'looking out' pics a little later this morning. But my first impressions are I love it!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MT Farmer
I've heard that the Q5's sunroof is cold in winter and hot in summer. The sunroof seems to be on every Q-5 in the the northwest. Living in western Montana, I gets lots of cold and not much sunshine; so, a sunroof isn't something that I want. I'm looking to replace my '99 A-4 5spd, but will keep my '03 allroad 6spd.
I park in a garage at home and work so I don't think about it much, but if you ever park your car outside (in the sun) make sure the shade is always drawn closed when you leave the vehicle. Leaving the shade open will create a greenhouse effect and heat the interior making it uncomfortable upon reentry. I learned this the hard way with the sunroof on my previous car.

This may sound strange, but I don't like direct sunlight beating down on me so my shade is usually drawn; I only open it or use the sun/moon roof if it is overcast, at dusk, or at night.

Last edited by BayGBM; 04-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MT Farmer
I've heard that the Q5's sunroof is cold in winter and hot in summer. The sunroof seems to be on every Q-5 in the the northwest. Living in western Montana, I gets lots of cold and not much sunshine; so, a sunroof isn't something that I want. I'm looking to replace my '99 A-4 5spd, but will keep my '03 allroad 6spd.
Living in Portland, we get lots of rain and only get real sunshine from May-September. We decided to order our Q5 WITHOUT the sunroof seeing as how we wouldn't be looking out of it very much.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

here are some pics from the inside. Camera is still at the inlaws. So the iPhone will have to do for now. Its harder to get inside shots then i thought it would be. During the day the tint doesnt make too much of a difference. I definitely notice the 'roof' is darker then before, but the side tint doesnt seem to make a huge difference on how it 'feels'. It is definitely a little darker inside, but not overly. I took her out last night and in the dark is when you notice the biggest differnce, but it will only take a couple trips in the dark to get use to it. My Yukon is 5% on top of factory tint and GM factory tint is a lot darker then Audi and that doesnt bother me.
Attached Images     
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! Looks pretty good actually, I've always had my shade closed when it is bright out but this might change my mind
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D_Frost
Thanks! Looks pretty good actually, I've always had my shade closed when it is bright out but this might change my mind
the other nice thing too is the tint actually blocks a major percentage of the heat coming in, so it keeps it cooler. The shade in my mind is pretty usless. lol
I might be back in WA to visit family in June. If I am and we bring the Audi you are more then welcome to check it out in person.

Quick Reply: Q5 Panoramic Sunroof