Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Ride Quality?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Is it just me, or is the GLC the first MB that looks a LOT like an Audi, specifically the Q5?? They seem SO similar to me in profile, and even some of the detailing...
From certain angles they are very similar we noticed that right away. The new Q5 will be more angular than the current gen which admittedly is getting dated after 8 model years. We'd buy an other Q5 if it weren't coming from the new plant in Mexico.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Wow, it really does!

Reasonably priced too, but maybe a bit of a step down for the Q5, especially with the 3.0T.
The pricing doesn't remain reasonable for long when you start adding options, but I was somewhat prepared for it. I'm a 2.0t buyer so for me the GLC isn't a step down by any means. You're correct, they are only offering that engine initially. Others to follow I guess.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The pricing doesn't remain reasonable for long when you start adding options, but I was somewhat prepared for it. I'm a 2.0t buyer so for me the GLC isn't a step down by any means. You're correct, they are only offering that engine initially. Others to follow I guess.
The little research I did suggests that the top of the current line is around $51K. Not that far from a Q5 2.0T Prestige and similarly equipped. But I didn't look that hard past the MB site.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3.0Trouble
If they do offer a bigger engine with bigger hp I would be interested. The only aspect of the GLC I don't like is the dash. It looks cheap with that screen.
The dash mounted screen isn't my favorite look either, but not a deal breaker. Our other car has one and I've gotten used to it. The new gen A4 and Allroad have it so I'm guessing the next gen Q5 will too. A sign of the times I guess. On some Audi's with it, it's retractable, not sure about A4, Allroad etc.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a new X3 and a 2013 Q5 (that the BMW dealer had on the used lot). I think the issue is I am expecting (maybe naively) an SUV to ride closely to the way my A5 does. Both the X3 and Q5 are definitely more bouncy. I would say the X3 runflats make sharp bumps feel harder. But overall I would not say the X3 was any more "bouncy" than the Q5.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of ride quality. I driving a dealer loaner 3.0T with 19" wheels. Yes, it feels a little more stable and firmer... but some of that could be the 103k miles on out 2.0T suspension. But on broken roads, its' a deal braker. I don;t know how someone could have the 21's on the SQ5 in a place without near perfect roads. No way that a fair trade off just for something primarily cosmetic.

For the primary function of this car, the 18's are the way to go IMO. Sure, they aren't as pretty, but it's not a huge difference anyway. At some point the lower profile wheels just make it look more like a hatchback with awkward proportions instead of a near-mid sized SUV.

As for the performance of the 3.0T. Yes, much stronger above 70mph, but who cares? Below that the 150lb weight disadvantage makes it a wash with the torquey 2.0T.

It also made me realize how well out 2011 is holding up. The transmission isn't suite as smooth as the new car, but it's very close. Not a big different in rattles and squeaks.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

So did you find the Q5 with the 19" wheels acceptable ?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by motoguy128
In terms of ride quality. I driving a dealer loaner 3.0T with 19" wheels. Yes, it feels a little more stable and firmer... but some of that could be the 103k miles on out 2.0T suspension. But on broken roads, its' a deal braker. I don;t know how someone could have the 21's on the SQ5 in a place without near perfect roads. No way that a fair trade off just for something primarily cosmetic.

For the primary function of this car, the 18's are the way to go IMO. Sure, they aren't as pretty, but it's not a huge difference anyway. At some point the lower profile wheels just make it look more like a hatchback with awkward proportions instead of a near-mid sized SUV.

As for the performance of the 3.0T. Yes, much stronger above 70mph, but who cares? Below that the 150lb weight disadvantage makes it a wash with the torquey 2.0T.

It also made me realize how well out 2011 is holding up. The transmission isn't suite as smooth as the new car, but it's very close. Not a big different in rattles and squeaks.
Meanwhile today I'm in the opposite position: dealer loaner 2.0T running on 18s. I don't know if it's the larger sidewalls or decreased weight or any changes in suspension just due to the engine (I don't have S-Line on my TDI), but this 2.0T definitely seems to have both a little number ride as well as feels a bit wallowy when turning. I miss my TDI already.

As for not understanding how people could drive on 21s with less-than-perfect roads, I think it's just a matter of what people are looking for in terms of ride and what they're used to. I think I'd mentioned before but my wife's got a Golf R with 19s (rather low profile, I'd imagine similar to 21s on the Q5) and our roads certainly aren't perfect, but the car handles it very well. It's not silky smooth, but for a lot of people that lack of road feedback isn't desired. It has never been jarring, though, even on roads that have chunks missing or have been all scraped up (even potholes).

Obviously without having driven a Q5 with 21s I can't say for sure how it'd handle our roads, but based on our R it's at least not a foregone conclusion it'd be bad. That being said I think 19" is a good size for "normal" use, and probably wouldn't go larger than 20" personally. But we're all different.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpnwdc
So did you find the Q5 with the 19" wheels acceptable ?
I certainly do. A lot depends on the particular tire model as well. You can pick tires that are either more comfy or more sporty/responsive, depending on what your preference is.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Suspensions are slightly different between models, too. The TDi's engine is MUCH heavier than the others, so the front spring rates are different. Feels quite different to drive...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Ride Quality?