Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Steering Wheel Removal / Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Steering Wheel Removal / Replacement

So I've Searched on these forums and many others for info on how to remove and replace one of these new rounder steering wheels and it took a while to gather the info, and just wanted to make sure I got it all correct before helping out.

So my colleague at work who owns a Q5 purchased himself a SQ5 steering wheel and wants to replace his current one with it and wants my assistance, as the local dealer will not help him with the installation as he purchased his wheel from ebay and doesnt have an Audi Receipt, so they don't want any liability if something goes wrong. I advised him to just to take it to a mechanic but he insists "we" should do it ourselves as it seems easy enough. (Live airbag removal worries me)

Anyways, here goes for what I have gathered, and would appreciate some feedback/confirmation if I got the process correct if anyone has knowledge on this.

So he has this steering wheel :

http://images.cardekho.com/car-image...-wheel-054.jpg

And plans to replace it with the SQ5 one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...,Yg~~60_35.JPG

1. Unhook the Airbag from the steering wheel by turning the steering wheel left and right to reach the hooks, these new steering wheels have hooks and not screws like the previous ones. Use a torx bit screw driver to wedge under the hook and pull downwards to unhook it (supposed to be easier than a flathead screwdriver). This was the illustration I found online:

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a1/a1-438.png

2. Once Airbag is ready to be disconnected, straighten wheel, and disconnect the battery by unhooking the negative part from it. Then insert the key into the ignition and try to start the car to make sure all power is drained, as well as depress the brake a few times.

And I also found some people advising to wait 30mins after the battery was disconnected and before removing the airbag wires as an extra precaution.

3. Before disconnecting the airbag, discharge any static you may have by touching the side of the door or using an anti static wristband.

4. Disconnect the Airbag connector, by pulling an orange tab towards you, and then the controls connector. Like the image below. Once disconnected place airbag face down on a cushion.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_3239-1.jpg

5. Unscrew the bolt holding the steering wheel in place.

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a1/a1-439.png

6. Before pulling out the steering wheel, make sure to note how centered it is, for ease of reference mark the steering wheel with a marker and the center piece that holds it, to atleast ensure some form of accuracy when installing the new steering wheel.

7. Pull out old steering wheel, and install new one and install it all in reverse order. Before scewing the bolt back into place to hold the new steering wheel , apply some blue threadlocker on the bolt:

Amazon.com: Permatex 24200 Medium Strength Threadlocker Blue, 6 ml: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 24200 Medium Strength Threadlocker Blue, 6 ml: Automotive

What I've read, since both steering wheels are similar there is no VAGCOM reseting needed for the car to recognise the airbag or steering wheel.

And he is using the same Airbag, as he purchased the steering wheel without one.

If I have missed anything or I am completely off on this procedure let me know, appreciate any and all feedback.

Here is a link to all the tools purchased for this process:

TEKTON 1481 3/8-Inch Drive by 7-Inch Polished Quick Release Ratchet with 72-Tooth Oval Head - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com TEKTON 1481 3/8-Inch Drive by 7-Inch Polished Quick Release Ratchet with 72-Tooth Oval Head - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com

Vim (VIMXZN400) 9 Piece XZN Triple Square, Spline Drive Bit Set - Long Triple Square - Amazon.com Vim (VIMXZN400) 9 Piece XZN Triple Square, Spline Drive Bit Set - Long Triple Square - Amazon.com

Stanley 60-013 Standard Fluted Torx Tip Screwdriver, T25 X 4 Inch - Star Drive Screwdrivers - Amazon.com Stanley 60-013 Standard Fluted Torx Tip Screwdriver, T25 X 4 Inch - Star Drive Screwdrivers - Amazon.com

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by rendart; 10-22-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Send me an email address on PM for instructions in PDF workshop-manuals

Warning disconnect battery before removing the airbag

Last edited by spijun; 10-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Spijun, You are the Audi Guru =)
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Absolutely switch 1 and 2 - battery needs to be dead before you start messing with the airbag. Also, don't place it face down - place it outside the car and face up. If it goes off, you don't want it to shoot up like a rocket.

Good luck - I haven't done this in my Audi, but I have done it in a couple of VW - same procedure, easy enough. In the VW I would sometimes get a warning light after installing the new SW - just turn the wheel as far as you can in both directions and the warning should turn off (assuming it's the same in the Audi).
Old 10-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kga1978
Absolutely switch 1 and 2 - battery needs to be dead before you start messing with the airbag. Also, don't place it face down - place it outside the car and face up. If it goes off, you don't want it to shoot up like a rocket.

Good luck - I haven't done this in my Audi, but I have done it in a couple of VW - same procedure, easy enough. In the VW I would sometimes get a warning light after installing the new SW - just turn the wheel as far as you can in both directions and the warning should turn off (assuming it's the same in the Audi).
Thanks for the advice.

I know the importance of disconnecting the battery before unplugging the airbag wires, but to access those wires I need to "unhook" the airbag from the steering wheel first.

So what you are saying is :

1.I should turn the steering wheel to the left position to access left hook,
2.disconnect the battery,
3.Unhook the leftside of the airbag,
4.reconnect the battery,
5.turn the steering wheel to the right,
6.disconnect the battery,
7.unhook the rightside of the airbag.
8.Reconnect the battery
9.straighten the wheel
10.Disconnect the battery

11. And now disconnect the airbag wires.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

what i did when i swap out to the sq5 wheel ...

is get the steering wheel in position stick a flat head (there is no way or room for a torx screw to fit in that space) pry out the clip pull on the air bag once that side is out, turn the wheel and get the other side.(after the airbag is hanging out straighten out the wheel) then i disconnected the battery. unhook the wires and the wheel bolt. then put the new wheel and airbag on then connect the battery... and only took maybe 15-20 mins...
Old 10-25-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is the write up on replacing the wheel on my RS4 AudiWorld Tech Articles

Of course it does not cover the newer wheels with paddles or heat.