Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI with glow plug indicator flashing

Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let us know how much the repair costs. $10k seems crazy especially if the car is out of warranty.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default glow plug warning

On my way back from Dallas yesterday (Sunday) one of my warning lamps began flashing. I did not recognize the symbol and pulled off the highway at my first convenient exit to find out what it was. Left the ignition on, read the manual and continued home. I did not lose power and go into limp mode. 13,xxx. mile on the clock if I recall. Restarted a few hours later and no indicator flashing. Researched the issue on this forum and sent my dealer an eMail on their website to schedule service.
Phone rang this morning (Monday) at 7:30 telling me that my appointment was at 8:45 AM and that a loaner will be provided. So I dutifully arrived and the SA mentioned a service bulletin on the subject and I mentioned my research into it....and told him that it likely is the HPFP.

At 10:30 the service advisor called and told me they are replacing the HPFP and to keep the A6 loaner until they call me tomorrow when the task is completed.

Audi Tulsa continues to give me stellar ownership experience.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Being a previous owner of a 10 VW Jetta TDI. I was very aware and concerned I would get a failure but never did. One reason I moved to Audis v6 is because the use a completely different design that is far more robust than the failing lobed one in the 2.0. Attachment 42229

If I could attach a pic I'd show u.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SummiTDI
Being a previous owner of a 10 VW Jetta TDI. I was very aware and concerned I would get a failure but never did. One reason I moved to Audis v6 is because the use a completely different design that is far more robust than the failing lobed one in the 2.0.
Glad you're one of the luckier ones, certainly seems like the transverse 2.0 has all sorts of issues, it's like an epidemic at least going by all the complaints all over the place.

And of course this just highlights that even the best parts can fail, and the worst parts can still operate just fine and never go out. I had a 2002 Passat Wagon with the faulty coilpacks, for example, but mine never went out. Though there were a lot fewer complaints of issues even there.

Our 3.0 is much less likely to fail, but of course it's always still possible. I'm interested to see if there ends up being any real details we can get on soonerfan's car... did they test the HPFP and it was starting to fail, or was Audi authorizing replacement because it was an older design and may be questionable? Especially if it was failing, I would wonder what the cause was.

There's still not much reason for us as a whole to be concerned, but it's always good to document the cases that do come up just to help in swifter diagnosis and resolution, especially if someone's getting towards the end of their warranty period so they can get Audi to foot the bill instead of themselves.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Second fault

Last week I had a glow plug indicator light go on while driving on the highway. No power loss, no other issue. When I was able, I turned the car off, restarted and there was no indicator and it has not reappeared since.

I would also note that the AdBlue warning came on at 13,500 with a 1500 mile warning that a refill is needed. Interesting that it times exactly with the 15,000 mile service interval or is it based on AdBlue tank level?

I will ask dealer to research the fault at my 15K service in two weeks.

I still love this vehicle. I seem to be getting better MPG over time.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 10-14-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Glad you're one of the luckier ones, certainly seems like the transverse 2.0 has all sorts of issues, it's like an epidemic at least going by all the complaints all over the place.

And of course this just highlights that even the best parts can fail, and the worst parts can still operate just fine and never go out. I had a 2002 Passat Wagon with the faulty coilpacks, for example, but mine never went out. Though there were a lot fewer complaints of issues even there.

Our 3.0 is much less likely to fail, but of course it's always still possible. I'm interested to see if there ends up being any real details we can get on soonerfan's car... did they test the HPFP and it was starting to fail, or was Audi authorizing replacement because it was an older design and may be questionable? Especially if it was failing, I would wonder what the cause was.

There's still not much reason for us as a whole to be concerned, but it's always good to document the cases that do come up just to help in swifter diagnosis and resolution, especially if someone's getting towards the end of their warranty period so they can get Audi to foot the bill instead of themselves.
My service ticket says:"Ran GFF. Found DTC P304300 fuel pump malfunction. Found TSB 2036866/1. Followed GFF. No clear issues found. Per TSB replaced fuel pump. Verified repair, performed road test."
Tech also performed the 23M6 ECM software update CID 8R.

Service Advisor said that the fuel pump and labor cost would have likely have been around 700 dollars if not under warranty. I think mine is only the second fuel pump issue they have experienced in the 3.0 TDI. All back to normal now.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
My service ticket says:"Ran GFF. Found DTC P304300 fuel pump malfunction. Found TSB 2036866/1. Followed GFF. No clear issues found. Per TSB replaced fuel pump. Verified repair, performed road test."
Tech also performed the 23M6 ECM software update CID 8R.

Service Advisor said that the fuel pump and labor cost would have likely have been around 700 dollars if not under warranty. I think mine is only the second fuel pump issue they have experienced in the 3.0 TDI. All back to normal now.
Thanks. Can't find any info on either the error code or TSB, but obviously there was at least something not quite right with the pump and the TSB sounds like it's related. Especially if there's a TSB and no mention of additional investigation on their part, then hopefully that means there's a newer part that should fix the uncommon issues people might have with them if they do run into something like you did (have particular code, get new pump).
Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by amstrad
Dealer verdict: Bad fuel. No part malfunction found.

Edit: So how can I tell what bad fuel is? I use a Racetrack and a 7-11 near my house. I thought those were premium diesels.
I would never consider 7-11 a good source of fuel . I would stay with Chevron or Shell or Texaco -

Places like 7-11 can get their fuel from multiple sources and is driven by cost not quality
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Third Fault and Fuel Pump Replacement

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Last week I had a glow plug indicator light go on while driving on the highway. No power loss, no other issue. When I was able, I turned the car off, restarted and there was no indicator and it has not reappeared since.

I would also note that the AdBlue warning came on at 13,500 with a 1500 mile warning that a refill is needed. Interesting that it times exactly with the 15,000 mile service interval or is it based on AdBlue tank level?

I will ask dealer to research the fault at my 15K service in two weeks.

I still love this vehicle. I seem to be getting better MPG over time.
On Saturday while driving I received the long beep and the glow plug light was on. Pulled over and restarted car, light was off. Went to dealer for 15K maintenance on Monday and reported the problem. Dealer found fault, and replaced fuel pump (had to order part overnight). Hope this resolves the problem. I was skimming through the dealers voucher package. Looks like the fuel pump was $560 plus some other kits. I guess this would be about a $1000 job if out of warranty.

I will report back if any more faults appear.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The same thing happened to me when I took off after I stopped at a stop sign my glow plug light came on and error "start - start function at fault, system unavailable" and lost power to the engine wouldn't go over certain rpm. Pulled over stopped the car started again and everything was fine took it to Audi they replaced fuel pump gave my car back 5 days later same thing happened now it's been 15 days since I got it towed to the dealership they replaced the high pressure fuel pump and took it out for 100 km test drive still no call I'm just waiting...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 TDI with glow plug indicator flashing