Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Tint Questions (I searched a lot)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackAce
For what it's worth, in Florida this wouldn't have worked for us because we need the ceramic all around for heat rejection. If your primary focus is looks, then yes, you could leave the backs untouched, but you don't get any of the other benefits that the Pinnacle has to offer.

Also, I just replied to your PM as well.
Makes sense, I'm going to do the rears as well for heat rejection. The Pinnacle 50 on all rears and Pinnacle 15 up front should net 15% exactly everywhere. Got my appointment Friday morning.

Usually I want to go little darker in the front so it offsets the light from the windshield and its looks even, but I feel like at 15% it's pretty dark and the difference isn't as noticeable. I had 20% on my old Grand Cherokee with factory rears at 18% and it looked uniform front/back most of the time.

Thanks for the input. If you have any more pictures from left/right that would be awesome. I'm getting it anyways but curious how it looks directly facing the side of the car.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While challenging for an installer, 3M Crystalline is the best I have ever had experience with.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Usually I want to go little darker in the front so it offsets the light from the windshield
I live in Florida as well and heat is a HUGE thing.

I tinted my front windshield with 80%, the lightest tint available. Same with Sun/Moon Roof.

Initially I tinted all windows but the front windshield. Then driving to the florida keys(3+hours) i felt like I was baking in the front seat with the sun in front. After getting the 80% tint in the front, it was a HUGE improvement.
It is barely noticeable and i have been pulled over 2x and no one has noticed it. Suntek claims 44% solar energy blocked.

I have 18% in the front and 35% all around the back. You can see pictures of the car in my signature.

Pinnacle Tint Information for the OP so you can compare the Heat rejection Etc..
http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Last edited by mwaarna; 05-24-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
I live in Florida as well and heat is a HUGE thing.

I tinted my front windshield with 80%, the lightest tint available. Same with Sun/Moon Roof.

Initially I tinted all windows but the front windshield. Then driving to the florida keys(3+hours) i felt like I was baking in the front seat with the sun in front. After getting the 80% tint in the front, it was a HUGE improvement.
It is barely noticeable and i have been pulled over 2x and no one has noticed it. Suntek claims 44% solar energy blocked.

I have 18% in the front and 35% all around the back. You can see pictures of the car in my signature.

Pinnacle Tint Information for the OP so you can compare the Heat rejection Etc..
http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Definitely makes sense in Florida, fortunately (or unfortunately) it rarely gets that hot in MA.

Love the look of yours too, do you know what layering the 35% tint over the factory dyed glass reads? I'm guessing ~10%
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Makes sense, I'm going to do the rears as well for heat rejection. The Pinnacle 50 on all rears and Pinnacle 15 up front should net 15% exactly everywhere. Got my appointment Friday morning.
Please post pics when you get it done!

I'm considering having my recent Llumar ATC30 fronts redone in Pinnacle 30 (mostly due to poor install...twice, and I can't find anyone else local with ATC30). OR, I might just go the Pinnacle 15 front/50 rear route for even better overall uniformity as well as heat rejection. Uniform look is the utmost importance to me, and it seems the consensus is that Pinnacle is as close as it gets to the factory tint.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BG SQ5
Please post pics when you get it done!

I'm considering having my recent Llumar ATC30 fronts redone in Pinnacle 30 (mostly due to poor install...twice, and I can't find anyone else local with ATC30). OR, I might just go the Pinnacle 15 front/50 rear route for even better overall uniformity as well as heat rejection. Uniform look is the utmost importance to me, and it seems the consensus is that Pinnacle is as close as it gets to the factory tint.
No problem, I definitely will. Based on looking at lots of brands in person I do think Pinnacle is the most black film that helps offset the green tint to our front windows.

I have Pinnacle 40 now which meters at 37%, and Pinnacle 30 should meter around 28%. Rears factory are 27% so Pinnacle 30 should be technically a match but with windshield light it will look lighter in front. The route I'm going is the same situation (15% all around) but I think at that darkness it will be less obvious. Also the darker the tint, the more it masks the green tint on front windows.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Couldn't be happier with the decision and it looks very uniform front/back. Pinnacle 50 rears, Pinnacle 15 fronts. They meter 18% rear and 15% front.

Pictures aren't that great, I'll post some nice ones later but here's a few for now. As always it totally depends on the angle and distance. From 10 feet away or so they are very dark. When it's sunny you can see the silhouette of somebody and I like the look a lot.

I drove 50 miles last night and had no issues with visibility backing up or out the side windows. I do notice it looks a little weird looking out the back window with headlights at night - where the defroster lines are it's almost blocking out all the light so it kind of looks like shutters if that makes sense. I've seen a lot of other people talk about that so I knew it wasn't out of ordinary and should get better after it cures.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looks amazing!