Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 Tires Recommendation - Help!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ssteigss, that's good to hear. Seems like the Ecopias might be a viable replacement for the OEM Michelins. As far as snow traction is concerned, they scored pretty well according to TireRack's internal tests...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160
Old 09-26-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These cars aren't KIAs so unless you're on a seriously tight budget, increase your safety and enjoyment with a tire from the Ultra High Performance All-Season category. I run the Conti DWS on two Audis and couldn't be happier.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

There are pros and cons beyond price.
Sometimes Costco has tires that are a model only made and sold for/by them, which makes comparisons impossible.
And as Pete said "OEM" versus "retail" for the same tire may actually be two different tires made in two different countries! Tirerack's wonderful charts often list both, although it takes a while to grasp why "OEM" isn't the same as the retail tire.
I've heard Chevy, Ford, and Sears all advertise from time to time that they'll beat any price, and along with Costco, they often run $70-100 rebates on a set of four, on top of matching prices. (Get the price total installed, including new valve stems and anything else needed.) Costco also will do lifetime repairs on flats, a proper patch form the inside not just a plug, although they will only use "iron" wheel weights because they want to do everything uniformly, and California has banned lead wheel weights. Which also means Costco can't put proper "mag wheel" weights on the inside of alloy wheels anymore.
It can make tire shopping maddening. Personally, I stick to Goodyear or Michelin, both have been good for me. Others like Conti's, I'm just happy to stick with what has been working well for me. I'm not impressed with the stock Dunlops on the Q5, I suspect they will be the same as many OEM tires: gone by 30,000 miles.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I'm not impressed with the stock Dunlops on the Q5, I suspect they will be the same as many OEM tires: gone by 30,000 miles.
Which Dunlops did your Q5 come with?

Most of the new Q5s I've seen in recent past had Michelins on them. Wondering what our Q5 will come with...
Old 09-27-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Damfino, the car isn't allowed to sleep in the house.

Most OEM tires are special cheap tires. And Audi, Audi is a bit queer about tires in any case. You know, if you order a sport suspension, you get different wheels and tires, and the tires are really dry road summer only tires, as if wet roads or four season tires weren't a concern for anyone who wanted a "sport" suspension? (Not that a 4-season replaces snow tires, but really? They couldn't find an acceptable 4-season tire for "sport" use?)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good results in the past with Continentals and thinking about going with the LX20 EcoPlus Technology. It's rated #1, treadlife warranty, and cheapest I've seen. Anyone running these on their Q5?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
I've had good results in the past with Continentals and thinking about going with the LX20 EcoPlus Technology. It's rated #1, treadlife warranty, and cheapest I've seen. Anyone running these on their Q5?
Yes I am. Just got a set last month to replace the OEM Conti LX Sports that were almost down to the wear bars after 18k mi. I've only put 500 mi on the LX20s but so far I'm really happy with them. Compared to the OEMs, the ride is much smoother and quieter IMO. There is also a noticeable difference in handing, especially cornering. It feels much more planted and steady in the turns now. I'm hoping the winter performance lives up to the ratings on the tire rack survey. They apparently don't make them in the OEM size 235x55x19 so I got 255x50s. They are just a little wider, about 3/4" but the section height is almost identical @ 5". They had a $75 rebate sale going at Discount Tire so including the 4 replacement certs it was about $1,020 out the door. The first place rating on the Tire Rack survey caught my eye as well. Very pleased so far. Anything over 18k tread life will be an improvement, I'm expecting at least twice that.

Last edited by HZ60; 11-13-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Which Dunlops did your Q5 come with?

Most of the new Q5s I've seen in recent past had Michelins on them. Wondering what our Q5 will come with...
Michelin HP Latitude Tours, but it was a CPO with 36K miles. 2011 MY.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
We put these on our Q5 and we couldn't be happier. Fantastic ride, quiet, and excellent grip. Highly recommended...
Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Damfino, the car isn't allowed to sleep in the house.

Most OEM tires are special cheap tires. And Audi, Audi is a bit queer about tires in any case. You know, if you order a sport suspension, you get different wheels and tires, and the tires are really dry road summer only tires, as if wet roads or four season tires weren't a concern for anyone who wanted a "sport" suspension? (Not that a 4-season replaces snow tires, but really? They couldn't find an acceptable 4-season tire for "sport" use?)
there's no such thing as a 4 season tire per se...

summer tires are better for dry AND wet roads

all seasons have a different tire compound for "light" snow

snow tires are for heavy winter

all season tires are in between capability in snow and performance of "summer" tires

summer tires offer the best grip and handling characteristics, so typically when a sports package is offered, it comes with summer tires

http://m.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/summer-tires-vs-all-season-tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Tires Recommendation - Help!